Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toy Hauler gas, oil and tire odors??

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Little background...

I am an off-road enduro racer. I try to travel as much as I can, for race events, dual sports, or just exotic rides with friends. I have a small 22' travel trailer that sleeps 4. This is just enough for me and few buddies to sleep overnight in decent comfort. Right now we load the bikes into the truck bed and then connect the trailer. It is working OK, but the only downside is security and having the bikes visible in the truck bed during transport. Originally, when I bought my trailer, I liked the idea of a toy hauler, but wanted the nicer interior, amenities, and the lower cost of a travel trailer.

So I am back in the market and are re-thinking toy haulers. The one thing that concerns me greatly, is the smell of gas and oil inside the trailer. I am sure everyone tries to be careful as possible, but accidents happen. I can see over time the toy hauler (especially as small one), smelling like gas and oil and not being able to get rid of the smell, especially the more it gets used. There is NO WAY I could tolerate and sleep with even a hint of that odor. Maybe this is not an issue for large 5th wheel mult-room trailer, but I would be getting a small 20-26ft one room trailer.

I just think about where bikes get stored...my garage smells like gas and oil, the dealer showroom floor smells like oil and tire rubber. Anywhere I have seen bikes/quad stored, they have odors. How do you all deal with this in your living environment? Am I overreacting, or does it become overpowering at times? Please be honest. I don't have an issue putting the bikes in the bed, but a toy hauler would be nice also, but not at the cost of sleeping with gas smell.
17 REPLIES 17

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
I store our 2 atv's in the toy hauler all the time and have never had any gas or oil odors.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this one thee years ago when it was four years old. Paid $15k. Never noticed any odors. Sleeps four adults and two kids. Small bathroom.

2010 Funfinder Xtra XT-245 by Cruiser RV.

7765 lbs. GVWR. 5025 lbs. from the factory. 7240 lbs. loaded with two bikes, two generators, two tool boxes, two sets of riding gear and spares, water, propane and two batteries. I worked on the load distribution and got the tongue weight down from 900 to 780 loaded.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
Owned my hauler since 2005.
Never has smelled like gas or oil. Even when there is a spill, I wipe it up and the smell is gone in 20 min.

I agree, have had my bike fall over with the gas on! Dumped about 1/4 gallon on the floor and even got in the rolled up carpet nearby. Cleaned it all up, shampooed the carpet and all was good. Left the carpet out in the sun for a few days to air out and dry.

Here in CA we have to lock up our bikes at races, too many stolen during the night in the desert. The tweakers know when there's an event and steal bikes, usually the small ones that they can easily carry, some venues worse than others, Adelanto is the worst, two were stolen last year, one was brand new, never raced.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Owned my hauler since 2005.
Never has smelled like gas or oil. Even when there is a spill, I wipe it up and the smell is gone in 20 min.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Not worried about security at the event site. I think your bike is very safe at a race event or at a campsite with 1000 other racers. At most I use a chain or or steel cable just to prevent the easy walkaway. Never heard of a bike being stolen at a race, but anything can happen.

I get more nervous when we stop for lunch/dinner or at a rest stop on the highway and have to park the truck out of site in place with no other bikes. Even for 30 minutes. That is when I worry about the bikes being in the open. My budget is more like $15000k than $22k. Even then I would prefer just under $15k, but I will check out the Dutchman. I only want to buy what I can pay in cash, not looking for another monthly payment.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
95jersey wrote:
Thanks for all the responses! I am not worried about a short term smell, just how that effects the camper in the long term. It seems most recommend a hauler with a separate garage, which I can not afford.

Let me pose this question. If all you could afford is a single room toy hauler (20-25ft), would you get the toy hauler or just buy a travel trailer and put the bikes in the bed of the pickup? I will never have anything larger than dirt bikes. I know some folks have quads, buggies and other toys that would never fit in the back of a pickup. But if you could fit your toys in the bed of a pickup, would you still consider a toy hauler??

Our first TH had an open floor plan (no garage). We didn't have any trouble at all.

Someone mentioned fuel storage. I would never haul fuel jugs in the TH. I keep mine in the bed of the truck.

Same here, and still have an open floor plan. I've slept in the trailer numerous times with the bike in it, lowered the bed down to just above two bikes (one two stroke, one four) and my son slept on it, no issues. Just need to be sure gas is off and they don't leak. If the bikes are well maintained (you race so I'm sure they are) its all fine. there will be no accumulated smells. I loaded my bike last night for this weekend, if I go in it now I'll be able to smell the bike just like you'd smell onions left in a bag in the fridge.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you write off a affordable 30' Toy Hauler with a enclosed garage you need to check out the 2018 Dutchman Coleman 300tq. It's sold exclusively by Camping World for around $22,500.

It would probably be considered a entry level Toy Hauler but it's my number 6 and probably my last. It has a separate 10' garage, front walk around bed, sealed heated underbelly, slide out, ducted heat and AC. Drop down Hapijack bed and jackknife sofas in the garage.

When I saw the ad I had to check it out. I could not believe the price. I left with it on my truck.

I tried a Travel Trailer once with the bike in the back of the truck. It was a street bike and I hated it being in the weather.

Check out the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeBfEHM3sQA
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
So you said ~ ( security ) where did you usually keep your bikes before when you slept?

Just make sure you don't top off your tanks, turn your gas off. Roll up that carpet if you have it. I always crack the kitchen window a tad when towing even if I'm headed to the beach with the surf boards. Note: I lock my bikes in the trailer as well when in transit and a hitch lock.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

dedmiston
95jersey wrote:
Thanks for all the responses! I am not worried about a short term smell, just how that effects the camper in the long term. It seems most recommend a hauler with a separate garage, which I can not afford.

Let me pose this question. If all you could afford is a single room toy hauler (20-25ft), would you get the toy hauler or just buy a travel trailer and put the bikes in the bed of the pickup? I will never have anything larger than dirt bikes. I know some folks have quads, buggies and other toys that would never fit in the back of a pickup. But if you could fit your toys in the bed of a pickup, would you still consider a toy hauler??

Our first TH had an open floor plan (no garage). We didn't have any trouble at all.

Someone mentioned fuel storage. I would never haul fuel jugs in the TH. I keep mine in the bed of the truck.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 6'3", so I like the TH for the added head room (mostly while standing in the shower). I cannot stand in the shower in a majority of the trailers.

It is nice to have the flexibility of the TH, but hard to justify the cost. You could get into a nicer TT for the same price.

My floorplan makes 4 bikes a complete pain (front bedroom), so only 3 bikes go in the trailer and the 4th goes in the truck. Dont forget about everybody's gear bags, spare gas, generator, cooler, chairs, ect. For us over a long weekend, we'll fill my longbed and the 21' trailer. Just something to think about.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer
My 30 foot Work and Play trailer has sliding glass doors between the garage and the kitchen, living, bedroom area. Also has a separate roof and side wall vents.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had several Toy Haulers. A 20' and two 24' Campmaster's (they don't make them anymore), a 28' Work and Play and a 30' Work and Play. And now a 30' Coleman 300tq (all bumper pulls), over the last 15 years and they all had one thing in common, a separate garage. An enclosed separate garage will get the motorcycles out of the living area.

You can get drop down beds jackknife sofas in the garage which makes it a nice space for your buddies and you still bet the bed up front.

The only time I could smell by bike was when I put it in hot.

Vents on the sides of the garage that can be opened when towing or dropping the ramp door can vent smells out.

One thing to keep in mind if you want a bumper pull toy hauler with a separate at least 10' garage and a walk around bed up front your going to be looking at at least 30' long....
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a small TH for myself to trailer to events (dual sports); As long as you are not leaking anything and load the bike when it;s cold then you should be okay;

My TH has never smelled of any fluids - I keep the bike outside (locked); I usually share the TH with 3 other buddies and as long as you keep the gas cans outside - then you should be okay.

The rear ramp door also helps eliminate any odors which may have accumulated.
Gerry