cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cape Cod Canal positions..

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
We did the Army Corps of Engineers park attendant jobs for the past 4 summers. Looks like they are getting ready to open the jobs for bidding by mid December.
Just an FYI if someone was interested.
Yes it includes restrooms and trash but to us wasn't a big deal. You get a full (50 amp ) site steps away from the waterway of the canal.
Google the number in Buzzards Bay, Ma and ask for info..
8 REPLIES 8

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
2 couples at each of the 5 locations. Just 1 site has their folks in a campground, Bourne Scenic Park, Bourne, Ma.
The other spots are tucked back in the trees along the canal. Basically,a private site!
Yes, we get a 1099 and pay the taxes.
PM if you want to know $$.

markandkim
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's the name of this CG?
Retired Navy

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7L
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
So how much does it pay or how much do you "bid" on the job? Since you are contractor guess you get a 1099 and no taxes taken out.

sounds like a nice place to spend a summer. ๐Ÿ™‚
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
At Cape Cod Canal, they do allow 1 person to do it. You open the rest room building by 8:30 a.m.

close it at sundown and give it a cleaning. Per the contract, you will check it 2ce during the day, or more if it needs it. (July 4, Memorial Day)
You use a Corps issued 'Gator' to do your job. You ride it ON the Canal service road, which everyone calls a 'bike path' .
We used to have to stay 'on property' during our days working in case an EMS needed to get through gate onto service road for any accident (bicyclist) or over heated/dehydrated person. Now, you can leave if you want. The Police/EMS have their own key.

Training is mid April and you are paid for the 3 days. April, May, June are very slow and very easy. July-Aug are busier, then Sept it winds down again.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I was told that these jobs can't be done by a single person, as you must man the office/gate continuously along with doing a couple of park checks at the same time. Is this always true? or just for this park? or the viewpoint of the person who told me? (FYI, lady was amazed/shocked/surprised that I travelled by myself -- when my Mom showed up later in the day to visit-- she asked Mom did I really travel by myself.. Mom told her YES, and she's not afraid of a D*** thing!)
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that compliment ๐Ÿ™‚
They do make the bidding process somewhat cumbersome but worth the $$ and location for us.
You have to form a Dunn/Bradstreet account and bid as an independent contractor. We did it 5 yrs ago, so alittle rusty.
You bid on what you would do the job for..each spot will be posted with how many trash cans or rest buildings you open. I think they all have 2 rest rooms to open (with only 3-4 stalls in them)
You bid on how much per day you want to be paid to do that job. You work 3 days 1 week and 4 the next week so each couple gets same amount of work days for the April-mid Oct job.
See if any info/ help on Corps website.

GuyN
Explorer
Explorer
How cumbersome is getting a part-time job like this? What is the bidding process?
2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
2012 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE, (sold)
2015 Chevy HD 2500 Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning bathrooms is no big deal with the right stuff. Dumping trash isnโ€™t either with plastic bags and smaller size cans. All the COE and USFS attendants Iโ€™ve meet are great!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad