Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Brakes or no brakes?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Brakes or no brakes?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have now towed a Chevy Sonic(2700 lbs.) behind our 30 ft. Class C for 4 1/2 years with no braking on the Chevy dinghy. So far no problem at all. I know I could have to make a panic stop someday but the chance is reduced by good defensive driving and taking it slow. Next spring we will trade for a Ford Focus hatch(around 3000 lbs.) or a Honda Fit (2500 lbs.). If the Ford, I will definitely go with braking but am considering continuing with no braking if the much lighter Honda. Frankly, I want to save the $2000 or more expense of brakes and the hook-up. Not sure what I'm asking. I know the easy and obvious response is to have brakes regardless of dinghy. I don't think it's this black and white. I feel the the MH/Sonic stops as well as our previous truck/5th wheel and catastrophe can happen with brakes or from something not related to stopping. If I find clear state laws always requiring brake that would make a difference but frankly I can't find very good info.

Jayco-noslide

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would stick to whatever your home state laws require. At one time here it was 3000 lbs.

campinginthewoods

Central ILL

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dinghy towing, 4 wheels down and flat towing are different ways to say that you are towing an automobile behind a motor home or RV.  Some people call the towed vehicle a toad.  No matter how you say it, in order to tow a vehicle behind a motorhome or RV legally in any State or Province you must have a base plate bracket installed on the "toad" to connect a tow bar to, you need a tow bar and safety cables, a supplemental braking system, a break away system and a light kit to display stop, turn and running lights on the toad

"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most states do not have towing laws that pertain to a towed motor vehicle. They have laws for trailers.
I would be getting a braking system for any toad.
I have had one for many years. I have the SMI Stay-N-Play. There is newer systems.
Cost for brackets and braking system combined would be around the $200 mark.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/17 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The laws of physics say you WILL be able to stop quicker with an auxiliary brake system than without. Whether your life or anyone else's life is worth the cost of that extra stopping power is your decision to make. I already made mine...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Missouri has no requirement for supplemental brakes on the towed. Most states have a weight such as 3000 or 5000 lbs before supplemental brakes are required. As an example Massachusetts requires brakes at 10000 lbs or more. Finally a few states require the toad to be stopped within so many feet at "x" mph. As in 40 feet at 20 mph. Those who state that it is required in all states or there are no laws are misinformed.

Steeljag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/17 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YES !

2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towing a toad without a braking system and break away system is foolish IMHO
don't be a gambler. if you hit somebody and don't have brakes that has a decent lawyer, he will crucify you.
bumpy

* This post was edited 12/07/17 04:34pm by Bumpyroad *

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My motorhome manual (3 different motorhomes) all stated supplemental braking required for towing over... 1 was 1,000 lbs and the other 2 were 1,500 lbs.

I found different states had different laws.. example 2,000 lbs in GA, 3,000 in FL.

Yes, there is the saying it is for trailers only, but I also read that the rules pertain to anything being towed.

I erred on the side of caution and always used a supplemental braking system.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

towing a toad without a braking system and break away system is foolish IMHO
don't be a gambler. if you hit somebody and don't have brakes that has a decent lawyer, he will crucify you.
bumpy

X10
You should also look into what YOUR 'insurance company' policies are regarding brake system requirements for towing the car. Mine states no brakes no coverage. And the police will include in the accident report whether there was a braking system in place in the car.

If you have to make a panic stop with the MH do you really want 3,000 lbs pushing you while you are trying to stop?

FMCA years back did a video of testing stopping with toad brakes and without toad brakes there WAS a marked difference in stopping distance with toad brakes in place. Made me a believer.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Brakes or no brakes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS