Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Brakes or no brakes?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Brakes or no brakes?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/17 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talk about real cheap, and stupid.....

I was leaving a CG and putting my Brake Buddy in the toad.

That said. The camper next to me came over and said I shouldn't work so hard and told me how easy it was to put 'his' BB in.

TRUE STORY....he bought a broke NOT working Bake Buddy off Craigslist for 50 bucks. He just throws it in on the floor of his toad.

He said his insurance company required it, to pay a claim if he got in an accident, but he was not about to pay to install a working one. [emoticon][emoticon]

And yup he had a high end MH and brand new toad so money was really not the object. Never forgot that guy and always wondered what was he thinkin!?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

b Never forgot that guy and always wondered what was he thinkin!?

he wasn't
bumpy

Off Pavement

The Silver State - Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can hardly believe Mowermech hasn't chimed in on this one!

Not mentioned yet that I've noticed is the hitch. They are all weight rated, and if you check your MH owners manual, I bet they have some comment about towing and how much weight the hitch can handle.

Thing to remember is that getting weight moving is a lot easier than stopping it. Starting to move it is never a panic, but stopping is another matter and the inertial force of a panic stop (let alone an actual collision) can overload the hitch. E=MC squared, or something like that.

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As many here know, I have been researching this issue for over twenty years. this is what I have found:
1. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) state that you must be able to stop any combination of vehicles (Can anybody honestly say that a motorhome with towed vehicle is NOT a "Combination of vehicles"?) within 40 feet from 20 MPH on a level, dry, clean, hard surface. If your rig can do that, you are within the limits set by FMVSS.
2. Many states have incorporated this braking performance requirement into their own State Laws/Codes/regulations. One state (CA) gives more room (45 feet).
3. Many states have a legal definition of "trailer" that obviously does not include a towed motor vehicle that was not originally designed to be towed, is intended to carry people, and is capable of being driven using its own motive power.
4. Braking requirements do not have "Reciprocity". You must meet the requirements of the jurisdiction in which you are currently operating.
5. While brakes on any towed load is a good idea, in many areas of the country it is not a legal requirement, IF the combination of vehicles meets the braking performance requirements spelled out in the law.

All that being said, I admit to being one of the "no braking" crowd. I towed assorted Jeep Wranglers, a Dodge Ram 1500, and a PT Cruiser on a dolly, all with no brakes. Oh, yeah, and an ATV on a single axle trailer, also with no brakes.
Nothing bent, nothing broke, nobody was injured or died.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/17 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just read a thread where the OP likened reading this Forum to addictive reading of Cheap Novels. If one theme here qualifies for Cheap Novel Status THIS IS IT.

Coach Brakes ARE rated at GVWR not GCWR.

Those jurisdictions that look at Weight of Toad use it's GVWR, NOT its "Curb Weight." So a car advertised at, or scaled at, say 2500, can easily have a GVWR over 3000. That may be because that's what the car can "legally" weigh, or simply a number an officer can see from the label in the door jamb. Go look, the "tare weight" is not printed there.

We all know that towed weight is weight. We all know bodies in motion tend to stay in motion. It's just legislatures that leave this foolhardy no-brakes practice as "legal" because of a couple words in decades-old wording.

To those of you who say "Towing Bareback is My Personal Choice, D##N the Risks." I offer this reply: I do not want to be the second party to the head-on collision with YOUR runaway toad. I do not want to read where YOUR toad plowed through a pre-school playground.

GROW UP.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That Equinox way too heavy to not have brakes. No doubt over 3000 lbs., therefore illegal in Illinois.

Jayco-noslide

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

All that being said, I admit to being one of the "no braking" crowd. I towed assorted Jeep Wranglers, a Dodge Ram 1500, and a PT Cruiser on a dolly, all with no brakes. Oh, yeah, and an ATV on a single axle trailer, also with no brakes.

Sure when everything is going just fine. BUT did you ever have an accident where your UNBRAKED toad pushed your MH into another car and killed someone because your braking distance increased because your toad had no brakes?

Safety features are designed to prevent accidents. Accidents are not a daily event. That's WHY they are called 'accidents'.

Being prepared and set up to PREVENT accidents should be number one when driving an RV. Its' not all about you. Apparently you have no regard for those driving around you. [emoticon]

cmcdar

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/17 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a skin flint. I hate to spend money unneccessarily. Especially what I call "invisible money". ex. car batteries, mufflers, tune-ups, etc. I DO spend money for those things but wish I did not have to.

With that said, for me, all I have to do is look over at my DW sitting next to me and think if she is worth that relative pittance to do my best to make sure SHE IS SAFE.

None of us live in a vacuum. There are thousands of accidents on the roads every day. Nearly HALF of all those involved were NOT AT FAULT.

I don't care to play "russian roulette" with the lives of loved ones.

HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

Quote:

Sure when everything is going just fine. BUT did you ever have an accident where your UNBRAKED toad pushed your MH into another car and killed someone because your braking distance increased because your toad had no brakes?

Safety features are designed to prevent accidents. Accidents are not a daily event. That's WHY they are called 'accidents'.

Being prepared and set up to PREVENT accidents should be number one when driving an RV. Its' not all about you. Apparently you have no regard for those driving around you. [emoticon]

Thank you for that armchair psychoanalysis.
As for your question, obviously the answer is a resounding NO.
So far, I have managed to avoid such scenarios by being an extremely attentive driver, focusing on the road ahead, never driving faster than I can see, and adjusting my speed to account for weather and road conditions. Accidents do not just happen, they are CAUSED!

cmcdar

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/17 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

rockhillmanor wrote:

Quote:

Thank you for that armchair psychoanalysis... Accidents do not just happen, they are CAUSED!

They are indeed CAUSED BUT that does not mean that others involed we NOT INNOCENT.

In October I was involved in an accident. I saw someone changing lanes into my lane. I had come to a complete stop. The other driver never saw me and continued to drive right into me!

A number of times I have had someone cut right in front of me then apply their brakes (on the interstate). Fortunately, I was just able to slam on my brakes and stop before hitting them.

As I said in a previous post, plenty of folks are involved in accidents that were CAUSED by another driver.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Brakes or no brakes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS