cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with things on counter

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering how many travel with things on there counter tops? We have never done this for fear of getting bounced off. Ran into a couple that keeps their canisters, toaster and coffee maker on counter while traveling. Said they have never had a problem. Anyone else do this?
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
70 REPLIES 70

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The shower is a great place to store our VitaMix, KitchenAid etc while traveling.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing stays on my counters. I've had my sink cutout bounce out once and gouge the floor. Those go in the cabinet now as well.

Nope... not worth it. I don't have so much stuff that I can't store it away.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
I just wondering how big some of the 5ers are, by the sounds of all the things left on the counter, you must have a counter the runs the length of your unit.

We have lots of countertop space since we full-time. NOTHING left on the counters, we have learned!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fallonator22
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
I just wondering how big some of the 5ers are, by the sounds of all the things left on the counter, you must have a counter the runs the length of your unit.

ours is 40'6" Sandpiper 377flik. we have 5 counter space areas in the kitchen (hutch top and below, area around the oven/stove, island, and under the cabinets), then the dining table. we don't have THAT much stuff on the counters anyway to reduce the 'cluttery' look, but stuff with big rubber feet we will leave on the counter. we have definitely learned from mistakes and it is probably best just to take everything off to be safe!

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
'Just In Case' ........we put everything away for travel

X2
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

fallonator22
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the type of 'feet' the item has, I will probably take it off the counter. Only things that stay on our counters while driving are the food saver, 4 canisters for flour/etc, and a small air mover fan. Everything else (paper towels, candles, cutting board, olive oil glass container, keurig, knife block....etc I will put on the floor, in the sink, wherever I can fit it.

One time we drove and I kept the knife block in between the food saver and the wall, right next to the kitchen slide. We drove for about 6 hours and started to move the kitchen slide out. The knife block had fallen and 3 knives were stuck underneath the slide out so we were inside and outside feeling underneath the slide, moving it in and out, and maneuvering it as much as we could and finally got the 3 knives out. Better to be safe than sorry and move off the counter!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gray Fox wrote:
We travel with things on the counter we have a center kitchen. Coffee pot, toester an never had a problem, one time our kitchen table fell over but nothing of the counter.

It never happens until it does!!!

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with things on the counter we have a center kitchen. Coffee pot, toester an never had a problem, one time our kitchen table fell over but nothing of the counter.
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coffee pot in the sink, toaster and stovetop grates in the oven.
Once not long ago I pulled out and left a bowl of that nice Sweet and Salty popcorn on the counter. I heard it fall but figured it was a picture and disregarded it.
To this day both Shitzus focus on the counter area during each bump and bend.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
None of the above!! Not worth the chance!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
There is an excellent non-slip material (don't know what it's called)that I found at a local dollar store. a generous roll was only about $1. Its appearance is like some sort of open weave cloth material.However, I do agree with others that it's best to put things away. That material I mentioned is also good to use in cabinets to keep things from moving.

Another non-slip material is a plastic called Dysum. I've only seen it at rehab facilities but I'm sure it can be obtained elsewhere.

Even that would not have stopped our KitchenAid from hopping across our RV! Store EVERYTHING!!!

X Whatever!

Ron has a big 5er with a great smooth riding suspension, why take a chance?????

I am lucky I did not have the RV behind as it would have actually came odd the ground. I think the truck nearly had all six tires off the ground. This was on a Texas highway near Dallas. My wife spoke some words I usually don't hear from her! Nothing would have stayed in place over that "BUMP".

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
'Just In Case' ........we put everything away for travel
Best answer. Takes only a few minutes, then we have no surprises.

B.O.

True, but the materials I mentioned could still be useful in a cabinet with a closed door while traveling. It would keep objects from sliding into each other. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
There is an excellent non-slip material (don't know what it's called)that I found at a local dollar store. a generous roll was only about $1. Its appearance is like some sort of open weave cloth material.However, I do agree with others that it's best to put things away. That material I mentioned is also good to use in cabinets to keep things from moving.

Another non-slip material is a plastic called Dysum. I've only seen it at rehab facilities but I'm sure it can be obtained elsewhere.

Even that would not have stopped our KitchenAid from hopping across our RV! Store EVERYTHING!!!

X Whatever!

Ron has a big 5er with a great smooth riding suspension, why take a chance?????
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"