cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freezin our butts off!!

Licreek
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, spending our first winter in our 36' Damon pusher. Our furnace is busted and I'm trying to heat with space heaters. The heater in the bedroom works great but I can't seem to warm the living and one super slide. I bought what I thought was a large space heater. It got down to 24 degrees last night and it was really COLD in here. Is there such a thing as a high output electric space heater? I know the max output for the heaters is 1500 watts but wondered if there is one that is more efficient? Which one puts out the largest volume of heat? Any suggestions? Thanks, Lee
92 REPLIES 92

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay install a new diesel furnace, but it going to cost more than fixing the existing furnace. Space heaters are not very effecient. Kerosene and propane heaters can present some fire hazards and use the oxygen in a confined space. There really are few good solutions to an inoperable furnace. Maybe a small wood stove.

In Nevada we get a lot of sunny days. I like as many windows as I can get in a TT. In winter I face them south and raise the blinds. It makes a big difference.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
Fix your furnace.

Offer help or move to another topic.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Fix your furnace.

Yep, quickest fix for all issues.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fix your furnace.

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
even better than the furnace or electric space heaters, is to simply turn on the 3 burners on the propane stove top. Your camper will heat up in no time.

If using the stove top for heat is so WRONG, then it's WRONG to use it for cooking also.

I would NEVER suggest sleeping with the gas stove lit. Don't do that while sleeping.

The other option, if you want to be a bit safer, is to turn the oven on and leave the door open. This will also generate a BUNCH of heat!

There again, if this is unsafe because of fumes, or whatever, then the stove is unsafe to use for anything ... including cooking! Be smart, it's still an open flame.

I have no intention of criticizing anyone, as that helps no one, but maybe some explanation is in order...

using an open propane flame to cook with in a confined space is much different than using it to heat the space with.

AND, using of the oven to heat with is absolutely no safer..

when cooking, one is up moving about, and will usually notice when something is not right, or that they have suddenly become abnormally tired....
and also when cooking, the task usually doesnt take long and the flame is put out.
but when using the open flame to heat with, one may be laid back reading a book or cuddling under a blanket and they will never know when the CO catches them, as they will just slowly fade off to sleep... the end.

one thinks they will be fine using the propane flame to heat the confined space with, but thats a false thought.
EVERYONE at one time or another has been watching tv or reading a book and has faded off to sleep and not even know it, but when the environment has good ventilation to keep the oxygen levels from dropping, we just wake up, realize we fell asleep, and go about our business just a bit more rested.

with CO poisoning, one fades off just the same and they are not able to know when they are falling asleep... and they never wake up again.

although most people dont like the moisture the propane produces, thats not the problem.
as propane burns, it uses oxygen from the space to support the flame.... as the flame and the occupants of the space use up the oxygen out of the air, the flame begins to starve a bit, and as it starves for oxygen, the carbon monoxide levels rise dramatically and begins to fill the space that the oxygen is being used from.... the process become exponentially worse every minute as more oxygen is used and more CO is produced..

carbon monoxide (CO) when breathed in, attaches itself to the hemoglobin nearly 200 times easier than oxygen does... so the homoglobin quickly becomes saturated with CO and starved for oxygen...

a person can be poisened by CO and still be conscious, but without hyperbaric treatment, they die...
but more often, when someone is using the open flame to heat the space, they will fade off to sleep and are found by someone later.

even if someone becomes a little bit poisoned by CO, where they leave the space for some reason before being overtaken by it, it takes many HOURS to recover.

CO comes from more sources than just propane burning in RV's, but Hopefully someone can get something from this and take extreme care when using an open flame to heat a space with.
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
Licreek wrote:
I do have 3 good circuits and 50a service so I'm gonna try the 3rd heater. Any ideas on what electric space heater to get? Do a get a great big thing with a big fan or a small radiant heater like a dish shape?

ive tried all kinds of heaters, and the most efficient one is also noiseless... a parabolic space heater.
an oil filled heater is mostly noiseless also, but the heat from it tends to rise too quickly, where as the parabolic heaters are somewhat directional and throw the heat out into the room farther.

neither one has a fan to rob the heating coils of its full 1500 watts...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Pirate,

I agree they are not terribly reliable. But I do have one that works well for protecting my fridge. (TC-3).

Pirate wrote:
The thermo cubes mentioned earlier to turn on at 35 and off at 45 are junk. Use at own risk of no heat or too much heat. I have the 100w heaters going full time in water tank compartment and wet compartment. No issues so far but need to drive granddaughter back home 2 Jan when it is going to be 3 deg. Ouch.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
The thermo cubes mentioned earlier to turn on at 35 and off at 45 are junk. Use at own risk of no heat or too much heat. I have the 100w heaters going full time in water tank compartment and wet compartment. No issues so far but need to drive granddaughter back home 2 Jan when it is going to be 3 deg. Ouch.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know I am in this discussion late but we just purchased a Vornado MVH whole room heater for $60.00 from Amazon. It warms our 37 ft. MH with one slide out very well. Outside temp 32, inside temp 68. I have it on separate 110 extension cord. Quiet and effective. Better than the other electric heaters I have had. I also put an electric heater and a fan for air circulation in the bays to keep water from freezing. Works for me. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Hi AllegroD,

I successfully solved that issue by replacing the cold air return for the furnace with twin window fans. They draw 27 watts and are controlled by a mechanical thermostat.

AllegroD wrote:
Lot of good ideas here but do not forget that your wet bay is likely NOT going to receive enough heat to keep from freezing your fresh water tank and lines. Your gas furnace does that.

Good idea. I think I read before where you posted this.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Pirate wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
Lot of good ideas here but do not forget that your wet bay is likely NOT going to receive enough heat to keep from freezing your fresh water tank and lines. Your gas furnace does that.
I use small 100watt heaters plugged into thermo cubes to keep the wet bays from freezing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XDTWN2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2/ref=pd_sim_201_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VB2S1DKPQFQA5NCK08QC

Yep. I do that on the couple times a year in freezing weather.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Use a wall thermostat if you can.

Why would you need a vent for an electric baseboard heater?

Acampingwewillgo wrote:
I have considered putting in a coupe Toe kick heaters so that I don't have the space heaters sitting about. I have the venting and power close enough in the area's I might want them...any thought's on? As previously stated, the Toe-kicks are generally rated at 750-1500 watts...so I'm guessing it would be equal to the space heaters.

No, Not that type of venting...I have the floor vents where a toe kick heater would fit without any modification and I have electric I can get to from those area's without any problem hence, it would be an easy install. (Not venting for the heaters themselves since they require none).
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Use a wall thermostat if you can.

Why would you need a vent for an electric baseboard heater?

Acampingwewillgo wrote:
I have considered putting in a coupe Toe kick heaters so that I don't have the space heaters sitting about. I have the venting and power close enough in the area's I might want them...any thought's on? As previously stated, the Toe-kicks are generally rated at 750-1500 watts...so I'm guessing it would be equal to the space heaters.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
a 50 amp RV service
is (4) wires
2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 grd
it has (2) 50amp 120v hot legs,

a 30 amp RV service is (3) wires
1 hot, 1 neutral, 1 grd

never ever use a 220v welder/dryer circuit
those are (2) hots, 1 grd, NO neutral
this puts 220v on the RV circuits instead of 120
and pretty much frys everything in the RV
I can explain it to you.