cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pix

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using TinyPics for years but they have gone to the charging thing....who do you use as a 3rd party host? To post pix on .Net.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
27 REPLIES 27

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

If you have a Gmail address, you do have access to FREE ONLINE STORAGE which can be used to host photos and documents that you wish to share.

You can go to your Google drive, create a folder, make that folder shareable, you have several options for sharing, you need the one that does not require a login.

I use Google Drive for documents and even though you can see your photos in Google Photos, I don't see the point of putting them in Google drive folders. Google Photos is much more functional and does what you attribute to Google Drive and much more, it just rides on top of Google Drive cloud storage.

To address the OP's need, as others have posted the RV.net associated tool is my first choice unless I want to put a link to multiple photos, not really needed on rv.net.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
the case of third party hosting, IMGUR offers a great service at no cost to the consumer. In my view, why would anyone pay for that service?
Generally speaking, I find things I pay for work better. As for strictly about posting here, then IMGUR is really nice and free.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Personally, OP does not AND SHOULD NOT have to explain their reasoning as to why they do not wish to pay for online storage to you or anyone on this forum..
Boy, you're really turning this into a big deal, like you do with a lot of my posts.

Perhaps I simply wanted to know if he wanted free or pay with no judgment either way. Did you perhaps give THAT some consideration before this deluge of lecturing NONSENSE??

Read Gary's post below your "lecturing" of me.

While I didn't grow up in that environment, my parents GREW UP during the Great Depression of the 1920's. NOTHING went to waste and they didn't WASTE what ever little bit of money, food, shelter they had.

My parents were a single income while I was growing up, SIX of us kids, the money was stretched as far as possible.. We had a Party line phone line with 5 other families on it. We split the security light bill with 4 other neighbors so the neighborhood had some light.

Often owned 10-15yr old vehicles and when they broke, we fixed them.. I remember my Dad, welding frames and sheet metal with Oxy Act torches and a bunch of coat hangers.

Myself, yeah, doing better than my parents, two income family with one child.. I to this day will not spend money just to spend money.. There is nothing wrong with budgeting and keeping non essential expenses in check..

So what is to you or anyone else when someone asks about free services?

Don't ask if you don't want a lecture, if not me, someone else will..

Finding useful free things is always a good thing..

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Yeah..I meant TinyPic...yes, you can upload and you can download them by just saving, but I used it for it's coding...I could get the code for a pic and cut/paste THAT to RV.Net and it would re-size and launch the pic. Now..the coding menu is blanked out. Imgur works like a hot-****. Just loaded and tested.

Gary

Weird! I just loaded a new picture and got all the codes.

And here is the picture (last years Xmas dinner roast - tremendous!)

Do you have Flash disabled? TinyPic uses Flash and will show the black box links if it is not enabled.

It is possible I have an older Flash..I'll check. However..the deed is done. I deleted my TinyPics and am now a disciple of Imgur. Thanks for making me hungry.

Gary

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
garyhaupt wrote:

Yeah..I meant TinyPic...yes, you can upload and you can download them by just saving, but I used it for it's coding...I could get the code for a pic and cut/paste THAT to RV.Net and it would re-size and launch the pic. Now..the coding menu is blanked out. Imgur works like a hot-****. Just loaded and tested.

Gary

Weird! I just loaded a new picture and got all the codes.

And here is the picture (last years Xmas dinner roast - tremendous!)

Do you have Flash disabled? TinyPic uses Flash and will show the black box links if it is not enabled.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
I have been using TinyPics for years but they have gone to the charging thing....who do you use as a 3rd party host? To post pix on .Net.

Gary Haupt

Did you really mean www.tinypic.com?? I just uploaded a photo to Tinypic and there was no mention of signing in or paying to join. I know PhotoBucket went to the darkside but my TinyPic stuff still works. A web site where I use a picture stored on TinyPic still works fine (unlike my PhotoBucket pics which don't load any longer).

Gary

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Imgur..man..that was tooo easy. Thanks to those that suggested it.

I don't mind the question about why has to be free. I also don't ever ever ever pay for campsites. I am going to open my psychology book now..turning to page 109...I am a welfare kid. Brought up in that environment. It was a big day when mom would take me down to the Army N Navy store and get me a pair of new jeans. I slept on a couch for years in a nasty apartment building..two bedrooms...none for me. So..not just paying for stuff is in my DNA. Drove a city bus for 37 years and yep, have a retirement income. And a home and savings. But my mind-set is always to shop around. Can I get it for less on Amazon...or not have to pay at all. In the case of third party hosting, IMGUR offers a great service at no cost to the consumer. In my view, why would anyone pay for that service?

And, sadly, I still think buying a new pair of jeans is a big deal.

Gary Haupt

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Personally, OP does not AND SHOULD NOT have to explain their reasoning as to why they do not wish to pay for online storage to you or anyone on this forum..
Boy, you're really turning this into a big deal, like you do with a lot of my posts.

Perhaps I simply wanted to know if he wanted free or pay with no judgment either way. Did you perhaps give THAT some consideration before this deluge of lecturing NONSENSE??

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Just because you pay for online pix hosting does not mean that it will last forever.
I'm sure you're right, but it has nothing to do with the meaning of my question.

Actually it DOES have a lot to do with your question.

Perhaps the OP like me has been scammed out of money from a online storage?

Perhaps the OP does not like face possible future extortion like what happened via Photo Bucket?

Perhaps OP just does not care to endlessly throw money away on something that does not gain value?

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

Did you really mean www.tinypic.com?? I just uploaded a photo to Tinypic and there was no mention of signing in or paying to join. I know PhotoBucket went to the darkside but my TinyPic stuff still works. A web site where I use a picture stored on TinyPic still works fine (unlike my PhotoBucket pics which don't load any longer).
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Just because you pay for online pix hosting does not mean that it will last forever.
I'm sure you're right, but it has nothing to do with the meaning of my question.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is very simple to put pictures into your post on these forums or to many other sites on the internet. To post photos do the following.

1. Upload your photo, one at a time, to this site.

2. Copy the resulting URL.

3. Paste the URL directly into your post with NO modifications. Do not add or subtract anything from the URL.

Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on these forums. Do the same for each additional photo.

You just Upload, copy, and paste.
If you would like to practice doing that, just go to this thread that I started in the DIY forum to try out the app.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyhaupt wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Must it be free?

Over the years I have been a victim of multiple paid and free online hosting sites that either disappeared with no trace or changed their TOS to not allow direct hot linking.

If it is posted on the wobbly web, never bet that it will always stay there.

Personally, after losing money on paid pix hosting that disappeared with my money, I have no intentions of EVER paying for online hosting again.. I am done losing money to those shysters.

If you have a Gmail address, you do have access to FREE ONLINE STORAGE which can be used to host photos and documents that you wish to share.

You can go to your Google drive, create a folder, make that folder shareable, you have several options for sharing, you need the one that does not require a login.

Once the folder share has been set you can copy your photos and docs to that folder, make sure you make that shared folder READ ONLY access.

You have two options, create a URL link of the folder then you can use that link to post. That gives anyone with the link full access to the entire contents.

OR create a URL link of each file/pix and post only that link.

Note, Google drive DOES NOT resize the photos, you MUST manually set the size when posting on this forum OR resize them to the correct size before copying to the Google drive.

If you do not have a Gmail address, SIGN UP AND GET ONE. Doesn't mean that you HAVE to use the email address. I use it more as a disposable address if I don't want to get a bunch of junk mail to my main Email address and the free online storage is a nice side benefit for allowing Google handle the spam and junk mail for me :B

I have Amazon Prime and use it to store all my photos. The 'free' pic service I am seeking is only used to put pix up on a notice board or forum...like RV.Net. And yes, I have a g.mail account.

Gary

Gary, you should be able to use your Gmail account to host your photos via Google drive as I mentioned above. It is free to do so and they do give you 15 gig of storage space to work with.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I really like Imgur.
No cost, no spam and works really fast. They also have all kinds of tools to modify images as well.
What ever you do, avoid Photo Bucket at all cost.

I like slick and easy..I will take a look at Imgur.

Gary