Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class B - Camping Van Conversions: Downsizing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
tim eisele

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/17 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are considering downsizing from a 40' 5th wheel to a camper van 21'-24' long. Looking at Roadtrek and Airstreams right now. Difficulty with 5th wheel range from 2 blown tires and $9,000 in damages, lack of flexibility on road, necessity to map out every road, lack of fuel availability with a 60' rv and tow vehicle.
Have any of you downsized, for what reasons and are you satisfied with your new campers???
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
TAME

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/17 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going smaller opens up many more campsites.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/17 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to be argumentative, but other than length, you can have the same problems with any rig.

We have a 40' DP with a toad and have no problems finding fuel and we don't use the high priced truck stops. This last ear we went from AZ to FL and MN to LA.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/17 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you already have a tow vehicle and want to keep it, a small trailer would be a far better deal. You can get decent tank capacity and reasonable storage in a 21-24 foot trailer.

Spend some time in a B TOGETHER before you buy. They are pretty cramped. It might be too much of a downsize to manage.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/17 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We downsized from 32' fiver to a 10.0 Camplite TC. Yup, learning curve and transition but glad we have our dually and truck camper. There are advantages and disadvantages to every unit. It's only 2 of us so that helps. It's so easy to park, fuel, get a site, and clean. We have had tt, fiver, class C, and a smaller TC. To each is own. Good luck!

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/
14'V Nose Trailer Hauling 2014 Tri-glide Harley Davidson Or Four Wheeling on a 2017 Razr 900.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/17 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We made the switch you are considering: 38' DP to RoadTrek.

We couldn't be happier. The RT drives like a high end car, fits in a regular space in most places, and has everything we need. Perhaps the RT is somewhat over-engineered -- it is a complex rig. But in mine everything has worked just as advertised.

It's a different RV life style. Things are definitely tighter onboard!

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We downsized from a 35' Class A to a Winnebago Travato 59K Class B this past March. It took some getting used to but we have absolutely no regrets. For us the pros far outweigh the cons. We enjoyed the almost ten years of RV'ing in our A, but all the things you listed certainly added a lot of stress. In the B we can go wherever we want w/o worrying about the roads or getting gas or parking. Set up is a breeze. We have the same freedom to travel and sleep in our own bed without any of the logistical hassles of the A.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Class B will have next to no storage !

I would look for a small Class C.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A Class B will have next to no storage !
Clearly said by one who has never dealt with a B. My RT has an amazing amount of storage space.
Is it the same as a 40 foot DP? Of course not.
The main lack in mine is external storage. Inside, when we travel my storage spots are about 2/3 full.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had zero problems with having enough interior storage.

For external storage (black hoses, fresh water hoses, sewer support, etc.) we use a hitch mounted cargo carrier and three totes. When we're staying longer than one night at a campground the totes go under the picnic table, the carrier gets folded up against the back of the B and doesn't interfere at all with finding parking spots if we go out sightseeing or to eat.

In our A we really carried a lot more stuff (and thus more weight) than we needed just because we had the space. It was all too easy to let stuff that really wasn't needed accumulate just because there was room.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS