Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class B - Camping Van Conversions: Downsizing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Nor'Wester

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/17 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a 42 foot Beaver for 12 years and 122,000 miles. Plus a car to tow. Now have a 23 foot PleasureWay and don't tow anything. It is like having a cabin instead of a house. Everything is easier with a lot less stuff to break. The only thing I don't like is that it is less usable in sub freezing weather.

ctilsie242

Austin

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/17 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If really concerned, rent one. This is definitely an individual preference. Some people need more storage than others.

As a single male, I don't really need much, so a class "B" provides plenty of storage for me, especially with putting everything into clear plastic tubs to minimize wasted space in the oddball nooks and crannies.

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/17 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from a full size class A to a Toyota mini. Due to a change I have been watching for a class B. I look and I look and can not bring myself to switch and will probably stick with the C.

Most small B's have small holding tanks and I don't like the idea of changing from bed to table or couch every night.

I also do most of my own maintenance and work and things are too tight on the B's that I have looked at.

somuch2see

Sidney, Ne

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We downsized last year. Went from a Fleetwoo Excursion 39L to a Rialta 03QD. Love the move, wife can drive, we can park it anywhere, fuel savings(15+ vs 8, gas vs diesel), still have two beds and can use as a second car when we are home just to name a few advantages. Left on a six thousand mile trip the month after purchase. Yes we have limited space but I carried three tool boxes with me before and can't really fix anything. We do have to pack a cooler as ref. is small but that really is the biggest disavantage. We really enjoyed the Fleetwood and do not regret owning it at all but it was time for us to downsize and we are really enjoying the move.
Ron 03 QD

A happy man is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least.

RSADVENT

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2012 Roadtrek RS... nice rig.. fuel economy on the road is 19 to 20 depending on your speed...18 MPG cruising at 70... speed does affect the MPG...

On storage.. yes, it's limited..take only what you need... most people who purchase a Class B.. know this going in.

The flexibility, ease of driving, and nimble handling of these smaller rigs is definitely their strengths...

It's a very smooth ride, and fairly quiet.. plenty of power... remember, it's 190 HP, and only 23 feet... consider this, those large 40 foot Class As have between 350 and 400 horsepower.. they are more than twice the weight of a Class B....

Driving a Class A and towing a car is a real commitment..and you have to practically radio the "air traffic controller" ...LOL .. just to figure out your next stop...no thanks..

We got ours for traveling, some camping and fun.. we don't live in the rig...I can only understand people driving Class As who intend to make it their permanent home and travel a few places ... snowbirds...etc.

Only thing we found is that the heater is a little noisy, so is the generator and air conditioning... Plus, when it's cold the heater cycles on all night long (especially at 32-38 degrees)...it can dry out your sinuses quickly.....

I imagine that the radiant heat would have been nice.. but, we don't have that...

Enjoy your Roadtrek... they are very well built as many other Class B's..
Most of the really cheap interiors I've seen are on the inexpensive Class C rigs.

thataway

Pensacola, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started RVing in 1962 with a Chevy Corvair Green Brier conversion (no pop top), similar to the Volkswagen Wesfalia. We have been up and down a number of times, including two VW's, and about everything down from our current Holiday Rambler Ambassador PDQ 40, with 4 slides. (our first slides) We bought that to take the grandkids all of the USA before they got...too old...Now we are downsizing again. I loved a RoadTrek Popular 21, which I kept in Calif. as my "Condo" My wife hated it. Now we are considering a Phoenix Cruiser or Coach House in the 26 foot range--a little larger than the Class B, I would rather have--and smaller than a 30' + class A my wife would prefer.

Bob and Marie Austin
Angel miniature poodle
2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PDQ
Toad 2012 GM Yukon XL 4 x 4

KAYPAY

Windsor , ON. Dundee FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

A Class B will have next to no storage !

I would look for a small Class C.

When we first got our Roadtrek, wifey was looking for more stuff to fill all the storage. Did all of Canada and 46 states in 3 years with no problems.

Diane and Keith
2004 Roadtrek P190

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS