cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel from Manzanillo to Playa Azul on the coast route

Dlc65
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys Im doing research going from Manzanillo to Playa Azul Im in a small rig and would like any more information on where to stay, any services offered, and security going down. Any advice is welcome Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Eve_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I meant for the first paragraph in my post to be a quote from a previous post but didn't do it right.

Eve_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Fancy grade four door 4 x 4 pickup trucks are a favorite, as are larger size Hondas, Nissans, BMW's, etc. But hijackers are picky "Me settle for a five year old car?" A plain vanilla 4 x 2 pickup isn't a favorite.

We live in San Carlos and have an 18 year old Chevy Tracker. Three weeks ago, during the day, while parked at a hardware store on the main street, someone tried to break into the driver's door but luckily must have been interrupted. They did enough damage that we will get it repaired at a body shop soon. There are regular news stories with pictures of old beater cars and trucks stolen in Guaymas.

So now we are driving our 10 year old big Honda SUV because I would rather it get stolen than our babied Tracker.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Have done this drive with a 37' Toyhauler Fifth Wheel. We only had two problem, hidden tope (blew an air bag on the pickup so now have spare) and the hill going into Rancho buganvillias RV park near the entrance (shifted into 4x4). Beautiful drive, great food and owners of park were the best(is it still Cindy & her husband). The park did have no-see-ums and after 11 days of bites we moved on. Have to go to nearby El Fargo for swim and incredible beach food & experience. Don't leave valuables in car.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Talleyho69
Please realize that the posts you are reading are from 2018.

Dlc65
Explorer
Explorer
Well i have been in this area since 2017 and all has been really great. Thanks for the input. Im staying put near La placita and havnt had a single problem

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Indigenous, Native, or First Nations people.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila make sure these stories are not spawned near the "X Villages"

There is a stretch of coast there about 30-miles in length that is tierra indigena. A land set aside for indians. They are cranky, carry rifles and when the fit hits them they block Mex 200 until the feds arrive. They rant and rave in half nuathal and broken spanish about local injustices and police corruption.

If someone had asked them if they were martian they would have answered "Si!"

Simply respond "NO COMPRENDO" and point at the windshield hologram. Been there done this a half-dozen times and it works like a charm. I asked one anciano who spoke a little Spanish -- "None of them have bullets".

In the RV park in Playa Azul I came across one trailer tower who had embellished his version into a commendable novela. He and his group were sitting behind me swilling margaritas by the dozen. As I finished my chilaquiles and arose, I wished them Buen Provecho, then said "It sounds like you had quite a time in the rig behind me. Gotta get hearing aids as I am deaf to gunfire". Dead dead dead silence.

Dlc65
Explorer
Explorer
Been down near Rancho buganvillias RV park for 6 months No prob at all Drove all around the area and it seems quite mellow thanks for the info everyone

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
Talleyho69 wrote:
It's been several years since a legit hijack has been reported.

Last spring I met 2 rigs in Zia who were stopped by cartels (at least they claimed they were) on that stretch and they were debating taking their rigs, but eventually decided not worth it. If they had had pickups it would have been a different matter. They were held at gunpoint for over an hour.

We wanted to take our caravan that route, but the green angels (we pay them to tailgun) refused to accompany us. Too dangerous they said. We went north to Guadalajara and then down to Melaque instead.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:

Last spring I met 2 rigs in Zia who were stopped by cartels (at least they claimed they were) on that stretch and they were debating taking their rigs, but eventually decided not worth it. If they had had pickups it would have been a different tamtter. They were held at gunpoint for over an hour. We wanted to take our caravan that route, but the green angels refused to accompany us. Too dangerous they said. We went north to Guadalajara and then down to Melaque instead.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Repeat ๐Ÿ™‚
If teenagers would hide on the floor of a vehicle rather than be seen by their friends in it, consider the vehicle hijack-resistant. A jacked-up candy apple red Hummer with 24" gold plated spoke wheels, and an airbrushed mural of a bull in-action, painted on the sides would not fare well south of the border. Fancy grade four door 4 x 4 pickup trucks are a favorite, as are larger size Hondas, Nissans, BMW's, etc. But hijackers are picky "Me settle for a five year old car?" A plain vanilla 4 x 2 pickup isn't a favorite. But the teenager analogy isn't a joke.

Petty crime has spiraled upward because cops do not patrol anymore. A sarcastic joke goes like this - "Humberto! Look! A carload of sicarios with automatic weapons and grenadas! Turn on the lights and siren! We have to get out of here!"

Steadily increasing amounts of traffic has transformed Mex 200 along Michoacan from a near deserted stretch in the 1980's to steady light traffic today. Cops and the military have gotten better at boxing in suspects. That and a populace thoroughly aroused has made life tough on Mexico 200 banditos in Michoacan.

IMHO Mex 15 East of the butterfly sanctuary and remote roads like Mex 37 from La Mira to Uruapan, and north and south of Patzcuaro are not to be trusted. Rural state operated roads in the state of Guerrero are perilous.

But similar to the Ferrocarriles Nacional Chihuahua Al Pacifico (Copper Canyon Railway) the days of seeing bullet holes in passenger car windows are history. I don't need the excitement and worry about my kids.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is a touchy subject and very soon people who have never been to Mexico start posting. Then the saviors of Mexico post how some burg in Canada or the USA has a higher crime rate. BUT the periodicals have been reporting that petty crime is on the up rise. By petty I mean crimes where no one is injured. Robberies are out of sight. Car thefts as well. BUT I have not heard of any car jackings . These so called petty crimes are not cartel related. Part of this problem is just the time of year. Thievery goes way up at Christmas time. Even in Tucson they have problems this time of year. In addition to car patrols some of the malls have security guards on the roof with binoculars!

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
100x more robberies have occured since Canadian Rainbirds had their Jeep stolen. Where? Mex 1-D the transpeninsula hwy between Rosarito and the border. There was a robbery early this morning. The natives at the X villages strung up a whole group of ratones a couple of years ago. When the rurales cleared house when Dr Mirales was active more than a hundred scumbags were removed from the face of the earth and several hundred more fled. The rurales went from house to house. The marines now rule this highway.

Regardless do not troll too shiny a lure and never travel at night. This is true anywhere down here.

Talleyho69