cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for new batteries

djbroughton
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of any deals on 6 volt, deep cycle AGM batteries for my coach? I will have to replace the 4 of them soon and am looking. I'm not hung up on name brands, price-point and Amp Hrs are important. I just checked at Sam's Club and they don't carry their 6 volt Duracells in stock only online. We are on the move for the winter and currently in Springfield, MO, heading southwest and probably ending up in southern Arizona.

Thanks,
Dave- Calgary, Alberta
06 Monaco Camelot 40 pdq
37 REPLIES 37

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqCgz_Vbnag
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Get a battery filling system if you can reach the back ones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnNcku2sldE
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Opps, wrong link

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
4 wet cells from batts plus bulbs are 500.13.. Less $72 after core return = $428 bucks..

After 10% off and taxes....

https://www.batteriesplus.com/Checkout/Review
Mike L ... N.J.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Since you only use the top half of the charge that's only a 20ah difference.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
The only AGM i see at sams in my area anyway are 190 ah only...

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/golf-cart-batteries/3990117.cp?navAction=pop

The wet cells will get you 230 ah...

https://www.driveduracell.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/1855.pdf

So your paying a lot of $$$ for a lower ah..

https://www.driveduracell.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/1688.pdf
Mike L ... N.J.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sam's Duracell are manufactured by East Penn. Google the Deka 8AGC2
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

djbroughton
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the many comments and suggestions but back to my original question....

1. we are travelling through the U.S. so I can buy them here on our travels.
2. I want to try AGM's because my battery tray does not slide out enough to check the back two batteries. I took the batteries out this summer, cleaned and lubricated everything but the slide still does not move enough to access all.
3. I am pretty good about maintenance but still keep boiling off the water in the rear batteries and am tired of fighting to add water and have ruined several sets of clothes with splashing acid,
4. I am willing to try the Sam's Club Duracells but can find no tech info on them anywhere. I stopped in at Sam's in Springfield yesterday and they were no help.
5. I am willing to order them online through Sam's and pick them up as we travel.

Does anyone have the tech specs on the Duracell AGM's?

Dave
Dave- Calgary, Alberta
06 Monaco Camelot 40 pdq

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I was concerned about them in the RV industry.
My cell phone battery can get pretty hot from time to time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
MM,
Thanks for the explanation. I had heard the Li batteries had a problem in the aviation industry so I was concerned about them in the RV industry. Thanks for clearing that up. Apparently the designation for your batteries are LFP.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:

On my current coach, I have 4 sealed AGM chassis starting batteries, it has looked new in that compartment for 3 yrs. now.

Our 3 house batteries are Lithium Ion, so, clean as a whistle in that storage bay too.

Safe travels,
MM.

Do they have a fire suppression system in your house battery bay?

Rgatijnet, there is a lot of misunderstanding about Lithium Ion batteries.... they are not all created equal.

And no, there is no fire suppression system needed in our type of Lithium Ion battery technology. We DO have a fire suppression system built-in over our engine area with a warning control panel by the cockpit.

Here is the snippet from Liberty Coach....

"The Lithium-Ion system we are now using is a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery which makes it inherently safer and very stable compared to the Lithium Cobalt Oxide which is very volatile. You may hear from some people that these are very unsafe, have been recalled, explode, etc... it is also not efficient in our application and has a much shorter cycle life, so we are not using that type of Lithium-Ion battery. The batteries that explode and experience thermal run-away when damaged or overcharged are Lithium Cobalt Oxide. We are using Lithium Iron Phosphate technology."

Our conversion company has been using this technology for over 7 yrs. with no problems. I have a battery monitoring system and the batteries never seem to get any hotter than the outside ambient temperature.

Our three LI batteries replace 10-12 regular batteries saving weight and space. Our batteries are expected to last at least 10 yrs and can be brought down to a 70% level of discharge many times with no ill effect to the battery life.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Newer LifePo4's are safe batteries. Wet cells aren't exactly the safest batteries to be using anyway. They're just cheaper.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr.Mark wrote:

On my current coach, I have 4 sealed AGM chassis starting batteries, it has looked new in that compartment for 3 yrs. now.

Our 3 house batteries are Lithium Ion, so, clean as a whistle in that storage bay too.

Safe travels,
MM.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer