cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delamination

TDasher
Explorer
Explorer
The fiberglass on my 2-year old Sonic (Venture aka KZ) started delaminating near the curve of the back roofline. Discussion with the dealer revealed it was a know issue caused by a design and manufacturing flaw. The dealer's service department did their best to work with the manufacturer since it was out of warranty. You figure that since it was caused by a design flaw they'd take care of it. Regardless, they offered a little relief but the repair ended up costing me $1485 out of pocket. You'd think RVs would be like autos and they'd do a recall and repair for known design issues. Not so. At least send a notice out to owners so preventive measures can be taken. You just don't expect delamination at 2 years but that wasn't the case for my Sonic.
54 REPLIES 54

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
One thing is for sure, vacuum bagging will always cause problems. It does in the boating industry as well.

You are correct!!!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I can assure you towing one of those say 50k miles will leave a trail parts n piece's with leaks everywhere. Fancy park models at best.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
goducks, They already have. look up the Tumbleweed tiny homes.

As I mentioned before, they have addressed just what everyone is complaining about. They have real a roof, solid built lumber walls, genuine windows. They are supposed to be build as well as your home.

I do not think they are going to overtake the RV market any time soon.

You'll need a Freightliner to tow it
Jay D.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
goducks, They already have. look up the Tumbleweed tiny homes.

As I mentioned before, they have addressed just what everyone is complaining about. They have real a roof, solid built lumber walls, genuine windows. They are supposed to be build as well as your home.

I do not think they are going to overtake the RV market any time soon.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
One thing is for sure, vacuum bagging will always cause problems. It does in the boating industry as well.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Someone needs to reinvent the TT/5er wall. Somethings thats not a bunch of junk pressed together.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Any post that deals with a TT quality issue will inevitably lead to complaints about the TT industry, the people who work there, the people who run them, the lack of foreign competition and a host of other thngs.

The fact remains that it is the customer that dictates the price. The price dictates the quality.

There is a reason that foreign companies are not cutting into domestic TT production, it is the same reason the domestic companies are not having TTs sub-assembled off shore. Simply put, no foreign company can build a unit cheap enough to compete with the domestic manufactures; and deliver a product that is acceptable to the US consumer.

Tires, electronics, appliances, bath fixtures, plumbing etc. may or may not be partially out sourced already. It would not surprise me to see the frames and running gear imported sometime in the future, so we can complain about that also.

Changes to the industry will come when the folks buying TTs demand and are willing to pay for it. Given the break neck pace of the current RV market, I would not hold my breath.

As an aside. I hope that somewhere in these lengthy posts the OP received a satisfactory answer to his delamination question.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
The OP joined, made this one post without pictures and never returned. 5 pages later we are still speculating. I think the trolls won this round.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS GUYS
Jay D.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
badsix wrote:
I started to read this in hopes to learn some good info on delamination, but OH NO NOT HERE. as I have a spot on my slide I want to take care of. i'm going to remove the laminate fix and reinstall.
Jay D.

This may help. I have a neighbor I will be helping come spring on fixing his 2004 Cougar TT. The front wall, rear wall and front sides have heavy delam.

I have never bought anything from these folks, just found them. Under the resources tab are many videos on doing the epoxy process. However I have not yet found how they dry out a wall before they inject. From what I have been able to find on web searches so far, the luan has to be dry before you inject the epoxy. Still searching short of creating my own method.
http://www.delamrepair.com/index.html

Here is some more info from another forum http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=61816.0

I have done several aluminum side camper rot repairs, this spring will be the 1st filon sided one.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote:
I started to read this in hopes to learn some good info on delamination, but OH NO NOT HERE. as I have a spot on my slide I want to take care of. i'm going to remove the laminate fix and reinstall.
Jay D.

Yep.
Howsomever, there were a couple of good threads on the subject a couple of years ago. A search might pull them up.
I found that using a polyurethane glue did not work very well and should have used epoxy.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
They way RV's are built currently there's no way for dramatic improvement.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Jay D.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Be happy... It's the holidays...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB