cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

heading to Florida

ret_usn
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Florida right after Christmas. Any recommendations for a campground or state park Near Jacksonville or between there and Orlando. We stayed at a state park near Orlando but cannot remember the name.Wherever we end up it will be for 2 weeks to a month.
2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F150 Super Crew
16 REPLIES 16

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I just made reservations at Hannah for March and September. There are plenty of spots open right now.
Funny, I grew up in Jax. and surfed at Access 4 and 5 (now Hannah Park) and had completely forgotten about it. I didnโ€™t know there were camping facilities there until CharlesinGA noted it.
We spent many a weekend partying in the huge dunes and driving on the beach.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ret_usn
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Hanna Park a few years ago. I was working on the base and got special permission to stay there 2 months. Letter from company was all it took. Loved the place and may go there for a week or so
2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F150 Super Crew

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Right on Jacksonville Beach

City owned park, http://www.coj.net/departments/parks-and-recreation/recreation-and-community-programming/docs/hanna-...

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I love the security on a base but hate leaving my 45 at home. Might be useful in downtown JVL.

ret_usn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the recommendation. yes I use military and have stayed at naval station and it was nice, will also consider the one near St Augustine. we were at NAS Jacksonville and went to St Augustine to visit and stayed 3 days. Beautiful and interesting city
2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F150 Super Crew

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck finding a space after Dec 25. You can make 30 day reservations for up to 180 day stay at NAS. We don't go after Thanksgiving due to the Sardine in a Tin feeling.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Little Talbot Island, Fort Clinch near Jax. North Beach and Anastasia Island in St. Augustine. Sebastian Inlet a little further down.
May be kinda hard this late in the month, though.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Timtation wrote:
North Beach Camp Resort in St. Augustine is really nice, pricey but very nice. Good restaurant on Atlantic side and intercoastal side as well.

I was gonna suggest this too. About 30-45 minutes south of Jacksonville and a beautiful drive down Route A1A. About 2 hours further to Orlando. Great location, ocean on one side and a beautiful river on the side. Easy access to St Augustine as well.

Very nice campground, we will be back!
Another vote for North Beach. We stay there a week every summer. Huge sites - ask for a pull through closer to the front. If you tell them you only have a 30 amp plug, they will only look for sites that have just 30. Sites with both 30 and 50 amp service cost a little more. Otherwise, full hookups including cable. They will give you a Good Sam discount as well - have to ask.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should check out the Stage Stop Campground in Winter Park just North of Orlando. Nice clean park with some room between the sites and decent rates.
Camping World and other RV dealers not far away if you need any RV supplies.

Also, it looks like you are retired U.S.Navy. You can use the campground at the Jacksonville Naval Air Station. Here. That would be a very enjoyable stay if there are any spaces left.

Another excellent stop is Osprey Cove RV Park located on Mayport Naval base.

If you have never done it, check out the U.S.Military Campground website. It is very useful and contains a lot of information not normally found in campground directories.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timtation wrote:
North Beach Camp Resort in St. Augustine is really nice, pricey but very nice. Good restaurant on Atlantic side and intercoastal side as well.

I was gonna suggest this too. About 30-45 minutes south of Jacksonville and a beautiful drive down Route A1A. About 2 hours further to Orlando. Great location, ocean on one side and a beautiful river on the side. Easy access to St Augustine as well.

Very nice campground, we will be back!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Try Gold Head Branch State Park, Keystone Heights FL.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed in Wilderness RV Resort in Silver Springs a couple times. Decent place and the price is right considering it's Florida.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Clerbrook Golf and RV Resort is also in Clermont.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)