cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v refrigerator /freezer

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
The gas /electric refrigerators that come equipped with most RV just does not cut it in summer heat. I have used fans , that help some but in high heat it seems to struggle. I am thinking of a refrigerator /freezer with a compressor. Suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. Thx
16 REPLIES 16

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:
The gas /electric refrigerators that come equipped with most RV just does not cut it in summer heat. I have used fans , that help some but in high heat it seems to struggle. I am thinking of a refrigerator /freezer with a compressor. Suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. Thx

12V Danfoss compressor style fridge or 120V residential fridge which 99.9% of us have in their homes? There is a difference in efficiency and cost.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Norcold makes six different AC/DC fridges for RV's. The compressors run on DC and if you plug them into 120V ac, they simply take that and invert it to 12v dc internally to run the compressor. They are quite efficient and Winnebago is now installing them as standard equipment on many models.

http://www.thetford.com/products/refrigerators/acdc-refrigerators/

The largest of these is 7 cf and draws 3.2 amps on 12v, and the smallest is 1.7 cf and actually draws more, 3.6 amps at 12v.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
Lowe's has an exact fit unit to replace the 8 cubic foot fridges. My son has done 2 of them in the past 3 years in two motorhomes. Slide right in and bolt down with screws and fender washers on back side. you just need to figure a way to latch the doors shut when traveling. If I recall right I think around $400.00.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Gas/electric RV refrigerators work fine if installed correctly. I would insure correct installation before replacing.

If you do replace it with a compressor refrigerator, just put in whatever fits.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the installation issue. I had that problem and finally found a dealer willing to do the warranty work.

The install has been corrected and the fridge cools much more efficiently in warmer weather and the fans don't need to run constantly.

But I also have a problem with little to no cooling in cold weather, but Dometic has agreed to replace the control board under warranty, now that the install has been corrected (they repeatedly blamed the cold weather issue on the install which seems to be their standard answer to everything) so hopefully that will solve the problem.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absorption fridges have been in commercial use since the 1920's

Folks blame cooling issues on the fridges when in fact majority of 'lack of cooling' problems are due to RV Mfgs NOT properly installing them USING the Fridge Mfgs 'Installation' requirements IE: Clearances/draft-airflow/dead air spaces etc.

Typically 'ZERO' inch clearances on sides/top/bottom and MAX of 2" on backside.
Baffles/fans are used to improve air flow/draft.
Air MUST flow up thru absorber tubes, across condenser fins and then exit out top area W/O any obstructions or dead air spaces.

Norcold and Dometic provide 'Installation' manuals for their various models.

Course if 'cooling unit' has already been damaged due to overheating issues from lack of airflow and/or off level operations then replacement is only cure at this point.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"The gas /electric refrigerators that come equipped with most RV just does not cut it in summer heat"

I disagree. Mine have worked great and only one repair over the years. I do try to park the TT to avoid direct sun on the fridge and my awning helps too. I also use a battery operated interior fan.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, I think you need to figure out exactly why your refer is not working correctly. Heck, my refer has worked perfectly even though it is in a slide out and the vents are both on the side wall. Which is not suppose to work. There has to be some basic reason for it not cooling correctly.

jeomelia
Explorer
Explorer
if you do no have the install manual for your fridge it can be down loaded from bryantrv.Com, a proper install makes a difference
1999 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Diesel
2005 Desert Fox 28KS
BrakeSmart
1992 Roadtrek Dodge Versatile
'...traveled the same road as many..."

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
wlstroud wrote:
We had trouble with our refrig cooling. We discovered that it was installed by the trailer manufacturer and did not meet the specs required by the refrig manufacturer. I removed the obstruction (a metal flap of siding folded into refrig compartment) to expose the heat exchanger fins to airflow. WOW! What a difference. Unit cooled and the freezer excelled in all types of hot weather. Check for obstructions, it may not be the refrigerator at fault.

It was the same on our last TT. Roofing material was in the way and several other guidelines not adhered to.
After correcting all those issues we never had problems with it cooling even well into the triple digits. I never even added fans.

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
We had trouble with our refrig cooling. We discovered that it was installed by the trailer manufacturer and did not meet the specs required by the refrig manufacturer. I removed the obstruction (a metal flap of siding folded into refrig compartment) to expose the heat exchanger fins to airflow. WOW! What a difference. Unit cooled and the freezer excelled in all types of hot weather. Check for obstructions, it may not be the refrigerator at fault.
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Installed correctly? Temperature setting cold enough? Defective? Mine have always worked fine even in south Louisiana heat in mid summer.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
what have you done to remove the heat faster from the RV-frg... a fan in its exhaust... inspection for restriction/blockage...

many work fine.. maybe yours is defective... heat exchanger is vented Well ??....

most RV's are assembled in a Great Rush... not for proper installation... and function.

my opinion..

my 2005 trailer RV frg works well in 100 degree Texas heat... and we do not use air conditioning inside trailer. just fans.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious, what are you going to do with the heat?

If you can vent the refrigerator heat that would be good. Otherwise it goes into the room.

Also, how do you power the frig while moving?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.