Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Can I really do this?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Can I really do this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
rollindowntheroad

Schenectady, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello to all! I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question(s) or not, so forgive me if not in the correct category.

I will be retiring in 3 years. I have been researching full timing in an RV for about a year now. I really like the idea of having the capability of being able to move around. I am thinking that I won't "travel" that much but rather find a location and stay a month or two then go to the next location. Will definitely follow the warmth and be in Florida for winters. I just can't decide in what or if I can really afford to do it.

I am leaning toward a used class a gas motor home, in the 35' range. My current vehicle is towable on a dolly. I really don't want to buy a big truck to pull something. I am by myself. Here is some other info on me:

1) Plan on being debt free at retirement. This includes having either a toad or tow vehicle paid off by then.
2) Looking at spending $35,000 to $50,000 on what ever I decide to get. Will pay cash.
3) Will have approximately $2,000.00 a month for social security coming in.
4) Will have approximately an additional $25,000.00 in savings after purchasing the RV.
5) I am NOT handy repairing anything mechanical ie; engines.

Here are my questions:
1) Is it bad for a motor home to sit for a month or two? I have considered buying a park model home but I want the option to move around.

2) Is living full time in a motor home doable on $2,000.00 a month? Please remember I am alone, no other person or pets to consider. I don't have a lavish lifestyle, don't eat out very often, stay pretty much at home now. I don't want to get into it only to discover in a year or so I can't afford it.

Thank you for all your expertise advise in advance.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer your question
1) yes its bad
2) living on two grand a month doable, yes, in a MH, possible, but not smart. MHs are the number one most expensive form of RV there is. You could easily spend up words of 2000 dollars just for a set of tires. Maintenance could kill your monthly income with just one breakdown.
To live that cheap you will need to find some form of supplimental income, camp hosting to pay for your monthly site fees would help. How do you plan to pay for health insurance? Some retirees report 500 a month for premiums. Do not even attempt to rely on medicare part a only. One hospital stay could bankrupt you. Living full time is not cheap. Park rent could set you back 500 a month, insurance?
You really need to sit down and write an honest budget including everything then come back and tell us how much disposable income you have.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will answer a few in bold in your post for ya.
rollindowntheroad wrote:

Hello to all! I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question(s) or not, so forgive me if not in the correct category.

I will be retiring in 3 years. I have been researching full timing in an RV for about a year now. I really like the idea of having the capability of being able to move around. I am thinking that I won't "travel" that much but rather find a location and stay a month or two then go to the next location. Will definitely follow the warmth and be in Florida for winters. I just can't decide in what or if I can really afford to do it.

I am leaning toward a used class a gas motor home, in the 35' range. My current vehicle is towable on a dolly. I really don't want to buy a big truck to pull something. I am by myself. Here is some other info on me:

1) Plan on being debt free at retirement. This includes having either a toad or tow vehicle paid off by then.
2) Looking at spending $35,000 to $50,000 on what ever I decide to get. Will pay cash.
3) Will have approximately $2,000.00 a month for social security coming in.
4) Will have approximately an additional $25,000.00 in savings after purchasing the RV.
5) I am NOT handy repairing anything mechanical ie; engines.

Here are my questions:
1) Is it bad for a motor home to sit for a month or two? I have considered buying a park model home but I want the option to move around. Park models don't move around 'so well' so a MH is better. NO it is not bad to sit for 2 months in a location at all.

2) Is living full time in a motor home doable on $2,000.00 a month? YES YES but it is 100% about what you want and how ya do it but we sure could do it easily.Please remember I am alone, no other person or pets to consider. I don't have a lavish lifestyle, don't eat out very often, stay pretty much at home now. I don't want to get into it only to discover in a year or so I can't afford it. You will grow into it to be smart, and thrifty and enjoy the lifestyle so much....point blank, you darn well go for it [emoticon]!!!!

Thank you for all your expertise advise in advance.

you have a heck of an adventure ahead of you...enjoy it to the fullest!! I know you will be fine and have a great time moving forward into full timing!!

don't let donn0128 scare ya in any way out of what you desire. darn right you can do it [emoticon]

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and remember when one says 'can I really do this?' you are asking for concrete affirmation you will be perfection in your quest....won't happen [emoticon] You gotta wanna do it and just go out there and do it. That is how lives are made, by exploring, experimenting and thriving on the future of what will come thru your path of adventure......so go for it big time and enjoy the heck out of life as you see fit.

just another thought of how I see life [emoticon] [emoticon] many other's will see it different....lol

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/17 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My travel experience is that given your budget monthly stays would be a must generally speaking you can get a month for what two weeks would cost in a campground. We have found Texas parks much cheaper than Florida
consider part time employment to supplement your income - medical, dental and eye care can take a chunk out of a budget. With a monthly rate you will have to pay electric on top of it.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
330 Campgrounds,74K miles driven in our motor homes and 1580 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go on over to cheaprvliving.com for much good advice on living cheaply.

In your shoes I would look for a trailer & tow vehicle. That is by far the cheapest entry point to RV life. It's easier to buy a dependable used tow vehicle than a dependable used motor home. Something like a F-150 and a smaller used toy hauler that you can customize to your needs would be a good choice for a single person.

I would also look for some supplemental income. $2K/month isn't much.

You need an exit strategy. What if you get tired of it, or have medical reasons that you can't do it anymore? You need enough income and/or savings to get set up in a place to live. Don't put ALL your savings into the depreciating assets of a RV and tow vehicle.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LIKE COOLMOM42 STATES:
What is your landing plan?
That is when you can no longer travel and must stay in one place.
Will you have a pet?
Some breeds of dogs are not allowed in some RV parks. Number of pets can be a factor as well.
If you suffer a major breakdown you could seriously deplete whatever assets you might have at the time.
MY opinion is you do NOT have enough cushion to SAFELY do it and have anything left when you must come in off the road

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it's advisable to spend 2/3 of your savings on a motor home. How about a lightweight towable to pull. When the motor home is in the shop, where will you live?

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yea agree with cool mom, small truck and small TT and the world is yours [emoticon]
so much easier on maintenance and repairs and vehicle to use.
SO MANY free/cheap/low cost cgs to use and possible volunteer opportunities if wanted. Life on the road is out there for those who find it and works for them [emoticon]

disagree that 2K isn't enough but it is where you are at on your spending/bills etc....2 K could be the world or 2K could be short, but only you know your finances at this point and will move forward off that of course.

* This post was edited 12/12/17 11:20am by FunnyCamper *

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last 3 posters said what I immediately thought reading your OP. For a "mid comfort" entry to test waters and establish how well your budget holds out for a couple years: Light travel trailer to start with especially being solo and for all the reasons stated above on lower cost repairs/maintenance plus "if" you find after a short period of time you want a 'C', 'B' or 'A' class you'd have lost less depreciation at the front end, than doing it the other way around so to speak.

FWIW, and you'll hear all sorts of amounts from a few hundred/couple thousand a year up, but ...... We started with a fifth wheel for 3 years and cost us very little on maintenance but truck needed new transmission OUCH! Traded it in for a new A Class Gasser 14 years ago, for very little depreciation on the 5er at the time but US to C$ was against us then, and based on todays worth, repairs/upgrades, over those years etc we've averaged about C$800/month cost of RVing above gasoline (early years substantially higher!). Just saying and everyone's mileage will vary. Right now with the bulk of depreciation out the way and barring any major unexpected repairs we are less than half that monthly the past couple of years.

Of course at the end of the day it is your money and your life to live as you wish, these are just thoughts and we all have our own opinions. Bottom line is, "life is short ....... live it whilst you can the way YOU want to" [emoticon]

In your shoes, I'm with most of the posters and say "do it", just consider financially the best way to go about it for you.

Happy Travels [emoticon]

PS: With a bit of solar and battery bank, there is also a wonderful think called "boondocking/dry camping", which can put you in gorgeous locations for free you also might want to consider as part of your mix and consideration of tank sizes etc when choosing your rig!

PPS: In Canada we don't pay for our medical so not sure how that might affect your circumstances!!

It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Can I really do this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS