cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custer State Park

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
I have not seen anything on the national news but there is a very large wildfire burning in CSP. Hwy 79 is closed from Maverick Junction to Hermosa. Many people have been evacuated or are on alert. The park is asking for donations to buy hay for the bison herd. Lot of information on their website.
16 REPLIES 16

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:

I couldn't get the mountains in the shot, as they are about 400 miles to the west.
The mountains are roughly 10 miles north of where that shot was taken, depending on where it was taken. It is most definitely the south end of the "Southern Hills" as us locals call them.

That pic was taken within the Wildlife Loop and was indeed within the southern half of the State Park. Looking at the fire map, Iโ€™m fairly sure it was part of the area affected by the fire.
I tend to be literal and so I donโ€™t consider there to be mountains in the area. This is probably due to the name Black Hills. FWIW, I will readily agree that there are some very mountain-like grades to the north.
I just saw they are forecasting 1-3 inches of snow for Saturday, so that should be a big help with the fire containment. Hopefully everyone will stay safe.

We actually got some precipitation today, but more up north than in the south. There is more forecast for Saturday.
The Black Hills are indeed a mountain range, but much older than the Rocky Mountains, so have eroded over time. Exposed rock has been dated over 2 billion years old. I have read estimates (that are really just guesses IMO) that the peaks were probably well over 14,000 feet.
But yes, they are called the Hills, we don't like to brag. ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:

I couldn't get the mountains in the shot, as they are about 400 miles to the west.
The mountains are roughly 10 miles north of where that shot was taken, depending on where it was taken. It is most definitely the south end of the "Southern Hills" as us locals call them.

That pic was taken within the Wildlife Loop and was indeed within the southern half of the State Park. Looking at the fire map, Iโ€™m fairly sure it was part of the area affected by the fire.
I tend to be literal and so I donโ€™t consider there to be mountains in the area. This is probably due to the name Black Hills. FWIW, I will readily agree that there are some very mountain-like grades to the north.
I just saw they are forecasting 1-3 inches of snow for Saturday, so that should be a big help with the fire containment. Hopefully everyone will stay safe.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mortimer Brewster wrote:

Actually I have been there many times. Here is a picture I took in Custer State Park when I was last there in 2015. Those wacky buffalo must have eaten most of the trees. Now that i think about it, I'm fairly certain the buffalo in Custer State Park eat grass, not trees. I couldn't get the mountains in the shot, as they are about 400 miles to the west.
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
3oaks wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Itโ€™s not all bad. Fire is actually beneficial to grasslands. It speeds nutrients to the soil and suppresses tree encroachment.
With that statement, it is very apparent you are not familiar with that part of SW South Dakota at all. :R

It is in the Black Hills of SD, not prairie grass lands. Picture mountains with thick forests of Black Pine and Oak trees and meadows. :@

Actually it is in both, the forest and the grassland. I am kind of familiar with this part of the state. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The trees are Ponderosa pines in the forested areas.
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It's now 50 percent contained.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
So its the fourth largest fire. That comes from fire suppression. What does the great Penn State University say about fire in the forest, 2oak? See:
http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_004096.pdf

"A history of wildfire suppression efforts, such as fighting every fire possible, has contributed to an accumulation of forest fuels and, thus, a higher risk of wildfires in some areas of the United States. In western forests where fuels have accumulated over time and do not rot because of dry conditions, fire is increasingly common."

So keep advocating total suppression and one of these days...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
To anyone who thinks this fire is trivial or beneficial:

Quote from the latest email update from SD FGPs:

โ€œWe are still in the midst of an active fire,โ€ said Snyder. โ€œCuster State Park is being impacted by the fourth largest fire in the history of the Black Hills. At the time our staff is released from working on imminent fire dangers, we will reassess our needs for all wildlife and other areas of the park.โ€

I emphasized with bold print.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thankfully the "no fire ever anywhere" club, where 3oaks is a member, is diminishing in size as they realize that fire is natural and beneficial to wild lands...prairie and forest.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Itโ€™s not all bad. Fire is actually beneficial to grasslands. It speeds nutrients to the soil and suppresses tree encroachment.
With that statement, it is very apparent you are not familiar with that part of SW South Dakota at all. :R

It is in the Black Hills of SD, not prairie grass lands. Picture mountains with thick forests of Black Pine and Oak trees and meadows. :@

Actually I have been there many times. Here is a picture I took in Custer State Park when I was last there in 2015. Those wacky buffalo must have eaten most of the trees. Now that i think about it, I'm fairly certain the buffalo in Custer State Park eat grass, not trees. I couldn't get the mountains in the shot, as they are about 400 miles to the west.

The fire is affecting both forested areas and grasslands in the area. Here is a satellite view showing the location of the fire as of Wednesday morning. As you can see, the land is not completely forested in the fire zone.

The point of my original post was that an occasional wildfire isn't necessarily a bad thing. The forested areas will recover, though it will certainly not be as scenic for a time. The buffalo will have a tougher winter than normal.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f71NlBsq8e8

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
It is NOT terrible news, 3oaks. Itโ€™s necessary and natural. โ€œThe benefits of fire are enormous.โ€ See and learn from the National Park Service at https://www.nps.gov/tapr/learn/nature/fire-and-grazing-in-the-prairie.htm

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
This is terrible news. We camp at Custer S.P. every Fall. We receive updates about the fire by email from the SD G.F.&P.

Here's the latest:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017
MEDIA CONTACT: 605.673.8980 or kobee.stalder@state.sd.us

Park Officials Provide Legion Lake Fire Update

CUSTER STATE PARK, S.D. โ€“ Late Tuesday evening, high wind gusts aligned with the canyon in the French Creek Natural Area and caused spotting in several areas west of the Wildlife Loop Road. The spotting moved across the Wildlife Loop Road and out of the Custer State Park Boundary creating rapid fire growth.

The Legion Lake Fire, now in its third day, grew overnight to an estimated 31,000 acres, bringing the total acreage to an estimated 35,000. Containment remains at seven percent.

Firefighters from local, state and federal agencies were utilized for structure defense, east past the Custer State Park boundary, down Lame Johnny Road to the intersection of Highway 79. The fire was held west of Highway 79 due to successful burnouts.

Another spot fire by French Creek Horse Camp moved south, southeast through Custer State Park. Due to the rates of spread, fire behavior, numerous values at risk and structure protection elsewhere, active suppression actions were not attempted.

The fire traveled south, moving through Wind Cave National Park, reaching just west of Buffalo Gap on Road 101 (also known as 7-11 road).

A burnout operation around the State Game Lodge area for structure protection began late Tuesday evening into early morning and has been successful.

No primary structures were compromised throughout the night, but there have been outbuilding and fences lost.

Highway 79 remains closed from Hermosa to Hot Springs. Evacuations for the towns of Fairburn and Buffalo Gap remain current.

Main objectives for Wednesday include analyzing and mapping the exact location of the fire growth, keeping the fire east of Highway 87, active suppression, structure defense, creation of dozer lines and retardant drops throughout the day as conditions allow. Burnout operations around the State Game Lodge area will also continue as conditions allow.

Winds will remain out of the northwest at 15 to 25 miles per hour with gusts up to 40 miles per hour. The temperature is predicted to reach 45 degrees.

-GFP-