cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new GMC 1500 2x4. No one needs 4x4 anyway

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Got wife 2018 GMC 1500. No one but famers,ranchers, ult. company, cops, logers, and people up in Canada need 4x4, just something saleman sell people who have good credit anyway. Waist of money.
So big a world, so little time to see.
159 REPLIES 159

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Alls you need in a 2WD PU, is posi-traction rear axle, Blizzaks, weight in the bed, and chains when necessary.

I've never had any trouble getting around in Wintertime with any of my posi-traction Corvettes. Including my C7.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I dont need a 10spd transmission in my truck but its getting one, I dont need a solid axle Dana 60 up front but its getting one, I didnt need a 500cc 2 stroke engine in a modern 4 stroke motocross chassis but I did that too.

Life is full of choices, do what you want and forget what anyone else thinks.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

blt2ski
Grit dog, not promoting 2wd trucks. Just saying Washington law states..........4wd or not!
yes turning a knob, pulling a lever, doing nothing in an awd is nicer than than a rwd with or with out a locker/posi! yes, one will be chaining up a lot more with a rwd. A semi with a front driving axel and the rears driving, pulling a trailer thru snoqualmie with the over 10K chain up sign up, will/may not get over with out the WSP ticketing them generally speaking. I never tried it when pulling my RV in Wa, Or or Idaho! That sign was up, chains went on.

Now that I am typing, I went up Stevens one time in rwd with the chains required sign on all rigs. Did ot put into 4wd until I hit the parking lot. Even a rwd with a locker can get places and open rear will not with proper tires.......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ youโ€™re obviously promoting the 2wd trucks. Thatโ€™s cool. I can challenge myself to plow through snow in a 2 wheeler, but 3x this year already Iโ€™d have had to chain up โ€œby lawโ€ just driving back from meetings in E WA on I90 if I didnโ€™t have a 4x4 company truck. (In that event Iโ€™d have taken my personal rig though). I like the โ€œinstant tire chainsโ€ by turning a knob on the dash!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
burningman wrote:
Another big plus, in winter here in the NW on several highways you have to chain up if you were dumb enough to not buy a four wheel drive.

If you know the actual laws, You would know, that 4wd with no chains is only legal if you are not over 10K lbs licensed weight, and not pulling a trailer. So if you own a dually pickup that is 4wd. If the WSP has a sign up, all vehicles over 10K must use chains, techniquely, you need chains on the rear axel! Altho many wsp officers will let you by......if in a wreck, they may lighten you wallet for not having chains on your over 10K rig.
If the gvw of the truck and trailer are over 10K, or you are pulling a trailer of ANY size, you need chains on the rear of the tow rig, and a drag chain on the trailer, assuming it has brakes.

Not saying a 4wd towing an RV trailer with chains on the rear, drag on the trailer is easy, but legally, that is what one has to do! Been there done that in multiple states here in the western region. As that is how the laws state it!

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
No one needs a 4x4, until he needs it once. Then he knows instantly why others buy only 4x4 trucks.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Another big plus, in winter here in the NW on several highways you have to chain up if you were dumb enough to not buy a four wheel drive.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
K Charles wrote:
I am not a famers,ranchers, cops, or logger but I have needed to use my 4 wheel drive often and I don't live in canada. If I go where there is mud or sand or snow or wet grass I sometimes need it.

Ditto.

99.99999% of truck in the lots in Washington are 4x4. It's difficult to find a 2 wheel drive truck.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Copperhead wrote:
Yeah, not so much of an issue on prairie flat land. Not so sure those that have to drive hilly gravel roads and such would concur that a few bags of sand and lower inflation will do the truck, especially in the spring when that ice and snow melts and turns those roads into a mud bog event.

I don't live in flat land, I live in the Shawnee National Forest, it's a long way from flat.

Plus I have to drive a little while to get to a hard road.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, not so much of an issue on prairie flat land. Not so sure those that have to drive hilly gravel roads and such would concur that a few bags of sand and lower inflation will do the truck, especially in the spring when that ice and snow melts and turns those roads into a mud bog event.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
We got 1/2 inch of ice and 2 inches of sleet and snow on top, the wifes 2014 2wd Ram done just fine, I was a little conserned with her comming from driving 2 Subaru Outback's for the last 10 yrs.

I know it will be a different story with 8-14 inches of snow, I will need to put some weight in the back and airdown the rear tires a little.

then again I always have my 4x4 W350 Dodge we can drive.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Hey Supercharged.....news flash - it snows in other places besides, "up in Canada."

:B

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
That wet grass thing just kills me. I have never been stuck on wet grass, and my TT is parked on grass down a hill.

I have. Ranger P/U, street tires, RWD with a open diff, empty bed. Truck would not go forward on grass damp from the early morning dew. I had to back down the slight incline, which was a problem as a vehicle was parked behind me. Two friends hopping up in the bed would have solved it, but everyone was asleep. That was when I promised myself all future SUV/trucks would be 4wd.

I don't need it, but I want it. Kinda like my RV.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duh, just now notice that? Should have figured that out from the identity of the OP. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"