cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch Pin Movement

Shawana84
Explorer
Explorer
I searched the forums but can’t seem to find the same problem. My hitch pin appears to be moving around, causing it to become damaged. I have had the cotter pins fall out, so I switched to locking pins. But those last about two trips out before they are ruined. Any ideas? I am towing about 7-8k lbs depending on what toys are being hauled in it. It’s being pulled by a 2013 tundra so I am well under my weight max
10 REPLIES 10

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
Passin Thru wrote:
You need to bush the hole and buy a new hitch reciever. Or replace the whole hitch. Eventually it will break off.

I say new hitch to be sure. Moving pin indicates it is not sturdy and stable enough. Happened to one guy here, he brought his truck to the shop for new tires and forged wheels installation. The pin on his hitch has been moving and almost break at the slight elevated towing.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to stop the movement of the receiver from going side to side. You probably found out the angled pin will work it's way into the hole as the receiver goes side to side eventually elongating the hole in the hitch. Especially if your using friction sway bars.

I had to replace the hitch (good time for a upgrade) and then went with the Hitchrider. This will stop all movement and easy to install.

I would also recommend not using the angled pin or even the locking pins with cheap Chinese locks and go with just a 5/8" bolt with large flat washers and a Nylock nut.
http://www.hitchrider.com/hitch-vise-gm-2.htm

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
You guys need to try towing with a Pintle Hitch and Lunette Eye... Thats some real slop there...lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this can help?

Tune your balls
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

dedmiston
Can you post some photos?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not enough hitch weight causing the hitch to rattle in the reciever.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type,totally useless.
Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
If I am understanding your question, maybe this would work....Anti-Rattle Hitch Pin.

LINK...CLICKY

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You need to bush the hole and buy a new hitch reciever. Or replace the whole hitch. Eventually it will break off.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I can't picture what goes wrong. I've been towing for decades without any issues like that. What is their failure mode?