cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Vote: Battery Reservoir Cover Caps -- On or Off?

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
Placed my 12 volt battery on a trickle charger in the garage today. Friend insisted the caps that cover the water reserviors should be opened to avoid a build up of gases that would lead to an explosion. That sounds like a good way for the water to evaporate to me but I didn't want to contradict him. (He'd been kind enough to help me lift a battery that was too heavy for me.). And, to tell you the truth, I wasn't really sure?

I'll watch the battery over the Winter. But should I re-cover the water reservoir with the caps? What say you? Caps on? Or caps off?

Thanks, in advance,

/CC
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupé the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.
23 REPLIES 23

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The electrolyte does not boil. It gasses from electrolysis. Voltage determines when that happens. The lower the ambient temperature the higher the gassing voltage.

nineoaks2004 wrote:
Leave them on.. Otherwise you could get contaminants etc. in the cells, the caps are vented and a trickle charge will not cause the acid to get hot enough to boil out anyway.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Leave them on.. Otherwise you could get contaminants etc. in the cells, the caps are vented and a trickle charge will not cause the acid to get hot enough to boil out anyway.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
All this fuss and bother when the best solution may be just to charge the battery fully, then disconnect it and leave it in the RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
No, it's for my travel trailer. A single 12-volt battery. In his defense, he called tonight to ask about coming by to make sure it hadn't "boiled over". I had to confess I'd bought a battery tender. Saw no reason to school him on the subject. I think he was just trying to help?

Thanks for all the input. You guys are lifesavers.

/CC

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago batteries would explode during a fast charge. The caps now are vented, and their purpose is to stop contaminates from entering the cells.

You posted in an RV forum, but in the outside chance you're dealing with something (i.e. golf cart) that has an automatic waterier, then your friend might have something there. Those have been known to explode.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was wondering when someone would bring up the old concrete discharge issue. In my formative adult years, learning as an auto mechanic, my boss taught me that. Said I needed to put the battery on a couple of 2x4s to keep it off the concrete. Wasn't until many years later I learned the truth.

BTW - he also taught me removing the caps.. but didn't take me as long to realize that wasn't necessary.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M, you are psychic! He did just that! Except it was an old rubber welcome mat. For just that reason, he said?

Thanks for the tip on the DelTran Junior. I think I can pick one up at Advanced Auto Parts. Or, as I call it, "The Club".

Dave H M wrote:
CoPilot, why not just hop on Amazon or ebay and have a tender dropped at your door?

Your batt will be happy on its own for a while.

For long term service the DelTran Junior is the route I go.

I can see it coming, next your neighbor will show up with a piece of plywood to put under the batt to keep it from discharging while setting on concrete. :B

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
CoPilot, why not just hop on Amazon or ebay and have a tender dropped at your door?

Your batt will be happy on its own for a while.

For long term service the DelTran Junior is the route I go.

I can see it coming, next your neighbor will show up with a piece of plywood to put under the batt to keep it from discharging while setting on concrete. :B

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who replied. As usual, your responses were swift and informative. I meandered down there this morning to replace the caps and disconnect the battery from the trickle charger. Will buy a "tender" later today.

Thanks, again,

/CC

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving them off long term (weeks/months) could allow dust, dirt, spiders, bugs, etc., to get inside the batteries. As stated the caps are vented, leave them on.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Remove caps when watching electrolyte for bubbling -- otherwise a loose cap will roll off down behind the battery and force you to say bad words.

Yeah. Halston dresses, and the glint of precious stones are sorta weird juju in an RV setting...

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
When the batteries are in service they charge with the caps on.
Leave the caps installed. And, use a battey tender, not a trickle charger.

gbopp, thanks for schooling me on the difference between a "charger" and a "tender". Will buy myself a "tender" for Christmas. What's a girl need with jewelry when she has an serious RV habit?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Remove them to equalize charge the battery. For normal charging leave them in place.

You do have to remove the caps to do your hydrometer spot- checks when equalizing, which also gets you near the acid spatter of popping bubbles. So wear your already-ruined "battery clothes".

For normal recharging or maintenance charging, leave the caps on.

OP--note the advice above re trickle charging vs maintenance charging. BIG DIFF! It sounds like your friend is out of date in his battery knowledge, so keep asking here to get the real scoop.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.