cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bilstein vs Rancho

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I mentioned to a mechanic friend that I was looking to put some Bilsteins on my truck and he sort of pooh-poohed them and recommended Ranchos. Bilsteins seem to always get the nod here, just looking for more info on either one.

'02 D'max 2500HD, 4x4, SWB, CC, as per my signature.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
17 REPLIES 17

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for all the info, guys. As I said, I'm not a "performance" driver, but all the FW guys seem to like the Bilsteins. As I also said, I'm not in a position to adjust the things when towing. Other than the Skyjacker and Monomax, any other recommendations?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Bedlam
My stock Ford shocks lost rebound dampening at some point before 80K miles, but I did not notice it until I upgraded to the heavier commercial 19.5" wheels. Compression dampening was still okay. You can definitely feel the valving difference on the Rancho between minimum, mid point and maximum settings - I had a hard time telling the difference between one or two settings difference out of the nine.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Serious question here. Can someone with a TC feel a noticeable difference in rebound/sway with rancho 9000s vs bilsteins or other shocks?
I've not tried multiple shocks with the truck camper, but struggling with the fact that any 1" or 1-1/4" piston shock can do significantly more than another quality shock.
Same for the big 2-2-1/2" shocks like Kings or Fox. How much more awesome are they at controlling body roll?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Had Bilsteins on my last truck now have Ranchos. I like being able to adjust for either my 5th wheel or TC. Ranchos hands down.

Bedlam
I did not get the FX4 package on my F250 due to the shocks. Fleet/commercial sales actually suggested keeping stock shocks over Ford's Rancho upgrade. 80k miles later, I did upgrade to the Rancho RS9000XL when I went with heavier 19.5" wheels.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
True tor sure. Those Rancho shocks on your Ford 4x4 are not Rancho shocks...oem junk with a Rancho label. That in itself makes me leary or Rancho. FYI...I did confirm this with Rancho when I fought to have the rusted rancho shocks replaced on my new Ford F350....right off the lot. Rancho confirmed that they were not Rancho...name only.
PDX.Zs wrote:
Funny.

Ranch is owned by Tenneco. You can look it up, but suffice to say they are one of the largest auto parts supplier to the oem, aftermarket, and heavy industrial sectors. They are the real deal. They also make shocks for virtually every other aftermarket suspension maker. So whatever the sticker on your shock says, if it doesn't say Bilstein, KYB, or OME, chances are it came from Tenneco.

So, along those line, there is Rancho and then there is RANCHO. Rancho is happy to sell you a low-performing shock with the Rancho name on it or a higher performing shock with the Rancho name on it.

So when you say "Rancho vs. Bilstein?!", the first question needs to be, "Exactly which Rancho are you talking about?"

At it's most basic, the 5000 is cheap oem replacement, the 5000x is a nice gas shock, the 7000 is similar to the X with a higher charge and stiffer ride and the 9000 is adjustable.

Shocks are one of those never-ending internet debates, with no right answers for everyone. But I hope this info helps a little bit.

🙂
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
Funny.

Ranch is owned by Tenneco. You can look it up, but suffice to say they are one of the largest auto parts supplier to the oem, aftermarket, and heavy industrial sectors. They are the real deal. They also make shocks for virtually every other aftermarket suspension maker. So whatever the sticker on your shock says, if it doesn't say Bilstein, KYB, or OME, chances are it came from Tenneco.

So, along those line, there is Rancho and then there is RANCHO. Rancho is happy to sell you a low-performing shock with the Rancho name on it or a higher performing shock with the Rancho name on it.

So when you say "Rancho vs. Bilstein?!", the first question needs to be, "Exactly which Rancho are you talking about?"

At it's most basic, the 5000 is cheap oem replacement, the 5000x is a nice gas shock, the 7000 is similar to the X with a higher charge and stiffer ride and the 9000 is adjustable.

Shocks are one of those never-ending internet debates, with no right answers for everyone. But I hope this info helps a little bit.

🙂

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Hands down, Rancho's over Bilstein's any day any time. Yes they cost more but are a much better shock and are fully adjustable. Our present 2004.5 crew cab 4x4 diesel truck we'd ordered new in January 2004 and put the Rancho 9000's on in the fall, October of 2004 when I had replaced the OEM 245/75/16 E Bridgestone tires with new Michelin 265/75/16 E tires and those same Rancho's are still on there today. Presently the Rancho's have just under 200,000 miles on them now and have been on the truck for a full 13 years of use and are still working just like they should. What more could I ask of them?

The truck has our 11'4" Lance truck camper on all summer long approx 7 months and we switch over to our Carriage Carrilite 5th wheel (truck scale weighs 12,840 lbs loaded to travel) around Thanksgiving weekend as the 5th wheel which is used for our approx 2-1/2 month Florida wintering trip and then in Spring we switch back again.

Should the Rancho's finally wear out or fail they will certainly be replaced with the same Rancho's again! Excellent ride and we will be keeping the truck too as it's been bullet proof and just nicely broken in now as there's absolutely no rust on it and has only needed or had one repair in all those miles and years of heavy hauling and pulling. The one repair was a fuel pressure sensor replaced. The truck does everything we want it to do and sure pulls/carries, rides, and handles great and the seats/interior is still almost new looking yet, so why should we even consider replacing it?
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Rancho 9000's on one and Bilstein 4600's on another, I prefer the ride of the Bilstein 4600 over the 9000.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had Rancho 9000's on our 2001.5 RAM and really like them, being able to adjust to the load. At 1 they soften the empty ride well. Loaded I would crank them up. If I forget either direction I would know within a few miles and reset them.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I put 9000's on my 3500 DRW like 4 years ago and they are a really good shock. Really shines when the truck is loaded heavy. My last two SRW Chevy 3500's ('15 and '18) have Ranchos as part of the Z71 package. I am not sure what series they are but they perform OK. I just put Bilstein 4600 on a Chevy S-10 ZR2. Have not completely rang the truck out but so far I really the Bilsteins in that application. I think either can perform .
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 that Bills are a bit overrated. My next set will be Monomax.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I run Skyjacker Black Max myself, mono tune, oil filled no nitrogen pre-charge. Problem with nitrogen pre charge is you have to overcome the pre charge before the shock begins to move and my truck rides hard enough as it is.

I had Rancho's and blew the seals out.. I run off road with a lot of suspension articulation so the shocks work over their full range and the Ranch's blew their rod seals. If I was really flush, I would have went to remote resivor shocks like Fox but they are oh so expensive.

My opinion (only) is Bilstein shocks are over rated.

No issues with the Skyjacker's at all.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lyle ,

This past Summer I upgraded to Bilstein 5100 and am very happy with the ride..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet