cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my last Suburban

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The new tow ratings in the 2018 Trailer Life Guide to Towing shows the Chevrolet Suburban with a 5.3L V-8 engine and a tow rating of 8300 lbs. This is not enough to tow my existing (and last) TT (7500 lbs).
I would have to go to a 2500 Crew Cab to get a 13,000 tow rating with a 6.0L V-8.
How can a Crew Cab with a slightly larger engine tow almost 60% more?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)
25 REPLIES 25

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
intheburbs wrote:

Um, the Suburban HD is a current model. I can get a 2018 now, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a 2019 next year. Yes, the 2500s are dwindling, but the HD is new/current manufacture.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but from what I have seen the HD Suburbans are limited to fleet customers and have an extraordinarily limited towing capacity (3k) because of the overload on payload capacity. The highest tow capacity I've seen for any current Suburban is 8,300, which is more than 30% less than our 2006.

There are varying theories on why the HDs have such a low tow rating. Yes, they are for fleet/government customers to buy new, but used ones are already out there. I've seen used ones for sale with anywhere from 5k to 20k miles.

Not sure if this link will work, but HERE is one for sale. 4.10 axles, would be a beast of a TV.

The HD is a true one-ton truck. It's the same 2500 frame as has been used since 2000, but with one-ton axles and brakes. So again, assuming you get a proper receiver attached to the truck, it should be able to tow similar to the 2000-2006 trucks, and with more payload capability. Yes, it's not "rated from the factory," but all the necessary hardware is there for such a tow rating.

The GMT900 2500 trucks, like mine, have a lower tow rating only because the receiver is now integrated into the bumper. The receiver is somewhat weakened because it's part of the crumple zone. That being said, I'm pulling a trailer with 1120 lbs tongue weight with no WD. Several friends of mine are engineers at GM, and they've allayed my fears about this trailer/truck combo, and I would similarly not hesitate to tow a hell of a lot more than 3000 lbs with an HD Suburban.

Payload/weight rating stickers...Can only post one pic, but the payload rating of this truck is 4,267, and notice the 11,000-lb GVWR.

Doing simple math, and I come up with a curb weight that's only 200 lbs heavier than my 2500, but it has more than double the payload. Pretty impressive.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right on DickB, why I have not traded my 01 yet with its 12k tow rating.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

Good point - vans are absolutely an option for some. For us, vans are simply a non-starter with the wife!

Vans were a non-starter for my wife also. So I bought her a Cadillac, sold the 2011 2500HD and replaced it with a 2014 3500 Express for less than I sold the 2011. Then a year later I traded in her Cadillac for an Equinox.

The Van has proven to be remarkable. It is a great vehicle for family fun, gets better mpg than the Silverado, and is used by my daughters frequently.

It allows for one designated driver, and 11 individuals that do not need to drive.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

What about a VanTerra? The Ford 350 cutaway chassis is still being made, and many Outdoors outfitters have moved to Vanterras since Ford stopped making van bodies. It's a good alternative when a Transit or Sprinter doesn't have the needed towing capacity.

Starting with 2016 models, they now have the 6-speed TorqueShift transmission, and the 6.2L V8 is finally available as well.

Good point - vans are absolutely an option for some. For us, vans are simply a non-starter with the wife!

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:

Um, the Suburban HD is a current model. I can get a 2018 now, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a 2019 next year. Yes, the 2500s are dwindling, but the HD is new/current manufacture.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but from what I have seen the HD Suburbans are limited to fleet customers and have an extraordinarily limited towing capacity (3k) because of the overload on payload capacity. The highest tow capacity I've seen for any current Suburban is 8,300, which is more than 30% less than our 2006.

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
intheburbs wrote:

Wife and I are leaning towards a class A as our next RV, but if we decide to go the TT route, I would almost certainly buy a Suburban HD.

A simple search on Autotrader or Cars.com finds several used ones already on the market. I saw one with 20k miles for sale for $65k.

The only problem with this strategy is finding a replacement vehicle down the line. The inventory of HD Suburbans gets more and more limited each year. The main reason we are babying our Suburban is that 2006 was the last year anyone made an SUV with those capabilities. As a family of 5, a pick-up is really not an option for some of the longer trips we like to take. We have gotten a great 6 years out of it so far, but we know that if our Suburban dies our camping will be severely limited, if not entirely ended, until the kids are out of the house.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

The only problem with this strategy is finding a replacement vehicle down the line.

What about a VanTerra? The Ford 350 cutaway chassis is still being made, and many Outdoors outfitters have moved to Vanterras since Ford stopped making van bodies. It's a good alternative when a Transit or Sprinter doesn't have the needed towing capacity.

Starting with 2016 models, they now have the 6-speed TorqueShift transmission, and the 6.2L V8 is finally available as well.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:

Wife and I are leaning towards a class A as our next RV, but if we decide to go the TT route, I would almost certainly buy a Suburban HD.

A simple search on Autotrader or Cars.com finds several used ones already on the market. I saw one with 20k miles for sale for $65k.

The only problem with this strategy is finding a replacement vehicle down the line. The inventory of HD Suburbans gets more and more limited each year. The main reason we are babying our Suburban is that 2006 was the last year anyone made an SUV with those capabilities. As a family of 5, a pick-up is really not an option for some of the longer trips we like to take. We have gotten a great 6 years out of it so far, but we know that if our Suburban dies our camping will be severely limited, if not entirely ended, until the kids are out of the house.

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
The 1 ton Suburban is for government & ultra rich folks who think they are VIPs...

Armor plating is the main reason. Towing is NOT in their vocabulary

Well, seeing as how the frame has been pretty much carried over since 2000, the 1-ton models should, with a proper receiver, have a similar tow rating/ability as the monster GMT800 2500 trucks.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The 1 ton Suburban is for government & ultra rich folks who think they are VIPs...

Armor plating is the main reason. Towing is NOT in their vocabulary

As for travelnman's bouncing...key is that he says only on certain parts and not on other parts of the highway/roadway...

Harmonics of the distance between concrete joints, speed traveling, weight vs dampening power and a host of other contributing factors.

Slow down to even speeding up might move the joint harmonics off of your TV's natural harmonics

Tire pressure, tire class and/or rating, rim width, suspension bushings, shocks, etc all contribute to either reducing to amplifying
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
One factor that I noticed is that my suburban 1500 bounces like a pogo stick
all the time over some interstates especially in Wisconsin. There are parts
of the country where I don't notice this pogo stick bounce at all. After talking
with some campers they told me it is the Suburbans suspension that
does it. They didn't have this problem with their 1500 pickup half tons which
had a comfortable ride as good as my Suburban. I rode in a F150 which was
towing a heavy TT and it seemed smooth and calm. Maybe this is why I'm seeing
fewer Suburbans in campgrounds these days and more pickup trucks. The other
reason could be the ballistic rise in the price of a new burban in the last
couple of years.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Fryer5 wrote:
They are out there, not sure how a regular Joe gets one. But there out there.

http://m.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/suburban-hd-heavy-duty-suv.html
HD says 3,000 towing max. Is that a misprint?

Then there is the base MSRP of $80,000

Not a misprint. I think they were designed to be upfitted for VIP transportation. I could be wrong though.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fryer5 wrote:
They are out there, not sure how a regular Joe gets one. But there out there.

HD says 3,000 towing max. Is that a misprint?

Then there is the base MSRP of $80,000

Fryer5
Explorer
Explorer
They are out there, not sure how a regular Joe gets one. But they’re out there.

2018 Nissan NVP 3500 SL.
2008 Keystone Passport Ultra-light 290BH