cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubber roof bubbling

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
This California wind is driving me crazy and now is doing damage to my roof, any ideas on how to fix this? I’m in nor cal and 10 hours away from home. Is my roof going to tear apart driving on the freeway?
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
22 REPLIES 22

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess that's good news though.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
No water intrusion as suspected looks like they skimped on glue
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
CAJW wrote:
Nolan, regarding the 4th picture showing “dimples”, our AF996 has had the same along the front seam since new. I contacted our dealer about it and was told that it was “normal”. Apparently the spaces between the hold down screws have different adhesion pressures due to the gaps between the screws. I have not had any issues with it to date (this May our TC will be 5yrs old) and hope it stays that way. It really stinks you’re having this issue with a less than 3 YO unit and too bad Le Grande is so far away. Best of luck getting this fixed.

Okay thanks will just screw the fiberglass back down how they did it. I am SO thankful for the RV garage where I can slowly fix this. Without it I would probably drive it up to la grande and have Northwood do it.

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Do you have water intrusion? Perhaps there is water under the membrane getting heated. The water heats, expands, lifts the roof membrane, creates a cavity that is now an insulated chamber that can hold more and more heat in it with the sun shining on it causing lots of expansion, causing further lifting and separating of the membrane from the roof. Seen it happen in deck membranes many times.

Absolutely no water intrusion, will post pics soon of the repair. It’s pretty easy, just time consuming removing all the old dicor.

Using a blow dryer and putty knife to get rid of the dicor. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:
bedrocker wrote:

Should have bought a lance.

Tru Dat

Sorry for your troubles. Hope it all works out for you.

Do you have water intrusion? Perhaps there is water under the membrane getting heated. The water heats, expands, lifts the roof membrane, creates a cavity that is now an insulated chamber that can hold more and more heat in it with the sun shining on it causing lots of expansion, causing further lifting and separating of the membrane from the roof. Seen it happen in deck membranes many times.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Nolan, regarding the 4th picture showing “dimples”, our AF996 has had the same along the front seam since new. I contacted our dealer about it and was told that it was “normal”. Apparently the spaces between the hold down screws have different adhesion pressures due to the gaps between the screws. I have not had any issues with it to date (this May our TC will be 5yrs old) and hope it stays that way. It really stinks you’re having this issue with a less than 3 YO unit and too bad Le Grande is so far away. Best of luck getting this fixed.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I think the first step would be to tell the manufacturer about this posting to give them a chance to do the repair... at least show a good outcome to this thread. On second thought, it probly best to not let them do anything to it if this is the type work they do.

I would have sprayed soap water to the front screws and gently pushed the bubble down to see where the air is getting thru/ coming out.

I'm annoyed by American companies that think profit comes from getting away from solid workmanship. It's un-American in my opinion. Sorry about the slight rant, but I feel for you having completely exasperating experience with my NL camper.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:
bedrocker wrote:
Good to know northwood is a big help they are off the list good luck with the fix

I shouldn’t say they are zero help, they want me to bring the camper to the factory to inspect it and determine the cause. It’s just too far to do that. Should have bought a lance.

I would send these pictures to Dave Mann at Northwood and ask him for his advice. I believe if you take it back to Northwood they will make it right at no charge.

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
bedrocker wrote:
Good to know northwood is a big help they are off the list good luck with the fix

I shouldn’t say they are zero help, they want me to bring the camper to the factory to inspect it and determine the cause. It’s just too far to do that. Should have bought a lance.

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally getting around to fix this, since Northwood is zero help going to do it myself

Trying to access the edge of the rubber roof from the front

Notice the fiberglass nose has no adhesive holding it down. Is this normal? Should I glue it down?

If I do glue it down Will the front nose dimples along the entire edge go away? The dimples have been on there since aug of 2014, 4 months after I purchased the camper. Of course Northwood denied any warranty saying my cover caused excessive heat build up causing the deformation.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
I'm beyond words. It's a relatively new camper. Glad I have a one piece fiberglass roof.

That's helpful to the OP.
After spending 2 days repairing the leaks in a guys FG roof this past summer, you couldn't give me a rig with one.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'm beyond words. It's a relatively new camper. Glad I have a one piece fiberglass roof.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB