cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Proper Caulk

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Hey y'all I'm looking at several places on my camper the caulk has split or just left completely. My question is what is the proper caulk to use? Its needing it bad around the rear bumper and other trim places.
13 REPLIES 13

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
For adhesive caulk use 3M 4200 on your bumper. It will last forever and even cures under water. Many people use 5200 which has the same properties but cannot be removed. 4200 can be removed with the use of special solvent. But be aware it will rip the wood right off the wall before it lets go. Only to be used where you never want to remove the item you are adhering.

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up Dicor today and i must say its some pretty awesome stuff! did the job very nicely and the weather lady is calling for rain in the morning so we will see how well i did .

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor for the win. Use the self leveling on horizontal surfaces, non-leveling for everything else.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve used Lexel with good results.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Silicone is great for the right application. Not so great for stuff that see's a lot of UV or for EPDM roofs. It just gives up after a year or so.

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks y'all, I'm going to be sealing around a electrical box on the side of my camper that was neglected by the factory... Is the Decor mentioned earlier also an adhesive? I'm needing to reseal my bumper to the camper also..

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Used to use ProFlex, found that Sikaflex 221 is much better and sticks to anything since its also an adhesive. I did scrape off the silicone with one of those 49 cent razor blade knives after hitting it with WD40, really softens up the silicone for scraping off, then cleaned with paint thinner.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
We used Silicone on homes for years thinking it was the best. I agree that it shows dirt and doesn't stay on at times. Good to here there is something better.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Flan wrote:
Why?

Silicone picks up dirt and looks horrible. It's also subject to peeling. The worst thing about it is that when your remove it (and it does not last forever), it leaves residue that must be removed by aggressive scrubbing with alcohol. If the residue is not 100% removed, it will prevent new silicone, and any other caulk, from adhering.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Why?
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT USE SILICONE.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Most common is Dicor. They have two types, the one you want is the NON self leveling . Self leveling is for flat roofs. Some people love Proflex, but I was never able to get it to stick for me.