cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shark fin antenna problem...

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The garage door was left about an inch or two down from its normal raised position, and I unfortunately didn't notice while backing into the garage. Now I need a new garage door and the shark fin antenna has a slight gap around it. I've figured out that i's secured with one bolt, but I don't know how it maintains a water tight seal. Since it's about 29 degrees out right now my options are limited.

Was just hoping somebody here might have a little experience with them.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
11 REPLIES 11

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If the antenna is loose, it is broken. Looking at pictures of such online, if it was previously tight and now isn't, then something's broken.

Might be able to seal it up with butyl tape. Or plumbers putty? Pack it in there best you can and forget about it till summer.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
My mother called me at work one afternoon, needed "the garage door fixed" and did I know anybody. Turned out my co-worker had a friend in the business. Turned out to be a problem of neglect. Neglected to open the door before backing her '82 Cadillac through it.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Sorry for not being more specific. It's the satellite antenna on the truck. I don't think it's broke, but it's definitely lifted a little. I can't see any deformation on the truck itself. I'm guessing either nothing has to be repaired, or I need to at least get in there with some kind of goop to make sure it's water tight. Between the awesome weather (NOT) and my tiny garage, I will probably take it to a shop to make sure there's no water penetration. On a pleasant side note, a little judicious tweaking with a 2x4, and the garage door itself is fully functional too. A nice load off before Christmas.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it was the RV that caught under the door. If it's a car/truck/SUV, should be easy to replace the Fin as shown in the UTube. The UTube also shows how it seals. Easy IF the roof metal didn't distort...

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this video. Doesn't look too bad.

https://youtu.be/-xQ3zuVigb8
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
No, it's 29 degrees outside!

Correct, I read it wrong. Maybe he can fix it, but then again, maybe he cannot.

29 is a heat wave. Been 10 or less here for a while now.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, it's 29 degrees outside!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
..Stated it' at a (29 degree angle) how he determined that is beyond me but, none the less, if it's pulled at an angle, it's deformed the sheet metal underneath and it needs to be handled by a body and fender tech.

Typically, most roof mount stuff like that are secured with a Tinnerman nut clip slid over the sheetmetal with a corresponding hole punched in the roof and the Tinnerman nut clip has pulled the sheet metal up. Homebrew 'fixes' will only deform the surrounding roof sheet metal and make it much worse.

Glad I have a conventional mast antenna. It bends.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doesn't sound like you have done any body damage but rather just need to re-seal some kind of an antenna to the roof. Could you tell us or show us what antenna you have? I think you might be talking about a King Jack but that's just a WAG.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Can you post a pic of the installation and its damage? What's the Make/Model of the Shark Fin?

Cut a piece of lumber, to the length that forces the garage door to its max opening, and put it on your checklist to have in place under the bottom of the door before you move the RV.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say your options are a bump shop and a competent body repair man.
2015 Backpack SS1500