cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaks!!

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
My adventure started when we headed to san antonio the jayco was in storage and while there a field rat found its way in.... and died.... upon searching for his entrance i discovered the previous owner must have had a blow out which busted the wheel well which is plastic when that happened it also busted the backer board around it. while i was uncovering this to repair i noticed daylight shining through around the outside electrical outlet.... and the wall so soft you can out your finger through it. I'm concerned the flooring is also rotten out. is there a way to just fix the leak or is it possible its at a point where some major rework needs to be done? I would post photos but cant figure out how.
32 REPLIES 32

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
i have brand new Arctic fox problem (2014). It has been a leaker & lemon since the day the warranty expired

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Haha Iโ€™ll gladly take your I told you so! Iโ€™m very glad it wasnโ€™t a worse case scenario. You are right I think they all leak a little bit itโ€™s just part of there charm.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear it. At the risk of sounding like the jerk I can be, told you so!

Now enjoy the TT, like I always say, every trailer has leaked, is leaking now or will leak.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Updating yโ€™all, the leaks have stopped I sealed around the outside electrical outlet, repaired the busted wheel well and replaced a broken exhaust vent for the exaughst hood. So after the heavy rain today we are dry as a bone inside. The major leak spot has some soft spots in the paneling but the floor seems pretty solid. Hoping for the best thanks again for all the help and advice.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We got 9k trade with our water damaged 2000 5th wheel. I realize they would have taken that much off of a cash deal as well but it sure looked good on paper. A lot of hunters use old leakers for hunting cabins. All is not totally lost. My cousin bought a leaker and has been using it frequently for about 6 years. It's soft and fragile but gets the job done. Everything works.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

CampinFL
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the wall you could see if this will work. People been using these epoxy's in wooden boat transoms that are rotted and have had good results. Google "Git Rot Epoxy Wood Sealer" at this point it's at least a look.. Not expensive and not too hard to work.

Double_Haul
Explorer
Explorer
If you are handy it may not be that bad of a fix. My wheel well was never sealed correctly from the factory. Water collected between the osb floor board and the metal wheel well casing rotting the floor. I thought my trailer was done and had estimates around $5,000 to repair. I did it myself in a week at around $150 in material. The biggest labor was trying to remove the kitchen cabinets. But with some strategic cuts to the carpet and flooring I was able to roll back the vinyl flooring, removed the rotted floor, fortify with gitrot along the edges to prevent any possible spread of the rot, replace the flooring joists and insulation, roll the flooring back into place and replace all the cabinets, plumbing etc.. You cannot tell it was ever done. And yes my trailer has aluminum studs in the wall that are directly attached to the framing so no rot and the walls were not built onto the floor.
2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
For some stupid reason we are never quite satisfied with each TT we buy (hopefully the TrailCruiser will be the last). The last 4 have been used and I am always excited to start working on each one cause I figure there will be lots of problems I'll have to solve. Start with brakes and bearings, then caulking then everything else. TyandKate, if you were next door neighbors I'd be glad to help you fix it.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
And get a TPMS so you don't rip apart the other wheel well.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Earl E wrote:
falconbrother wrote:
I would just do what I needed to do to reasonably fix it. You're stuck with it so, make the best of it. Till this TT we never bought new. Every RV we ever owned needed repairs of some type.

I agree with this and several posters that are saying to just patch it up and enjoy. Chances are pretty good that the damage done Wii not affect anything significant.

x2 on this. and if you carry on with the repairs you will basically know whats going on in every inch of the TT top to bottom from here on out

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with the previous comments about not letting this situation overwhelm you.

Had the rat not died you would have used your TT as normal as ever. Now you have discovered something that you will have to eventually address. Whether you do it immediately, a month from now, or after you have had time to evaluated a number of approaches and decided which ones you like.

Our TT was three years old when we bought it and in the past four years and 30,000 miles I have discovered a number of oddities. These require some additional bracing and sealing between trip. But nothing that reduced the structural integrity.

The point is, unless the problem affect the road worthiness of the TT. Their is little difference between a hole punched through the wall by a foreign object or a hole caused by water damage. And, there is no reason you should not be able to enjoy you TT.

We bought our TT because it was the right floor plan at the right price. I would be hard to match those two again.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
I would just do what I needed to do to reasonably fix it. You're stuck with it so, make the best of it. Till this TT we never bought new. Every RV we ever owned needed repairs of some type.

I agree with this and several posters that are saying to just patch it up and enjoy. Chances are pretty good that the damage done Wii not affect anything significant.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.jayco.com/files/downloads/prod_brochure_filename_21.pdf
I've attached a link to the brochure of my camper its the 25Z in the brochure it breaks down the build of this camper what I'm seeing is aluminum frame work

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II