Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heavenly Southern Buttermilk Pie

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Unbelievably good tasting.
And no time consuming blind baking the crust.
Takes 5 minutes to put together. My kind of baking!:C

SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK PIE:
1/2c buttermilk
1 3/4c sugar
2 large eggs
3 tbsp flour
pinch of salt
1 stick butter melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400ยฐ.
Mix everything together and pour into an unbaked 9" pies hell. Sprinkle the top lightly with nutmeg.
Bake 15 min. Reduce oven to 350ยฐ and bake 45 min.
Cool to allow filling to set.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

17 REPLIES 17

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
I grew up on my mother's authentic buttermilk pie. Make sure you leave out the nutmeg. That's not original to the pie.

For your version
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
magnusfide wrote:
Vintage, I posted a vinegar pie recipe LINK. It doesn't have milk in it. If you make a lot of pies or use a lot of pie crust, it's easy to make your own in a batch and freeze them. The pies will taste better than refrigerated pre-made crusts from the store.

Yes I saw that recipe. Looks like fun. I also posted our pie crust recipe that my mom always used.

Thanks!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vintage, I posted a vinegar pie recipe LINK. It doesn't have milk in it. If you make a lot of pies or use a lot of pie crust, it's easy to make your own in a batch and freeze them. The pies will taste better than refrigerated pre-made crusts from the store.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
So for Christmas I made the Lemon Chess pie with the recipe from my previous reply and it was amazing. The only change I made was adding NuCoa Margarine in place of butter. I have to say the O.P.'s pic of the Buttermilk pie was a bit more appealing, but it was a good hit on Christmas Eve and I am sure Jesus would have loved some on his birthday!

Not much left there!

Must have been a big hit with your family! :C

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's all your fault: I'm drooling here on my keyboard:c
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
So for Christmas I made the Lemon Chess pie with the recipe from my previous reply and it was amazing. The only change I made was adding NuCoa Margarine in place of butter. I have to say the O.P.'s pic of the Buttermilk pie was a bit more appealing, but it was a good hit on Christmas Eve and I am sure Jesus would have loved some on his birthday!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am seriously intrigued by: Vinegar Pie, Chess Pie and Buttermilk Pie. And I'm planning to try and whip one up somehow. Here is a recipe for Lemon Chess Pie. This one could easily be made non dairy by using dairy free margarine.

Ingredients:
โ€ข 1 1/4 cup sugar
โ€ข 1 tablespoon finely ground cornmeal
โ€ข 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
โ€ข 3 tablespoons lemon juice
โ€ข 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
โ€ข 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
โ€ข 4 large eggs
โ€ข 1 8- or 9-inch pie crust (not deep dish)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350ยฐF. In a blender, pulse sugar and cornmeal together until combined. Add butter to the blender, along with lemon juice, vanilla and salt; blend until incorporated. Add eggs, one at a time, blending until very smooth. Pour batter into crust and bake until the pie is just set in the middle, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before serving.
V-465

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vintage465 wrote:
So isn't that also called Chess Pie? I need to come with dairy free version of this. My son is deathly allergic(not lactose intolerant, deathly allergic) to dairy. We've come up with many work arounds for many deserts with dairy in them. This one could be tough though. The big part of the flavor is gonna be from the buttermilk

There's a difference: Classic Chess Pie uses evaporated milk and a lot more eggs. Now there is also a Buttermilk Chess pie that uses buttermilk in the place of evaporated milk but it still uses a lot more eggs making it richer. Both are rich, decadent and definitely not for those with milk allergies.

Magnus

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
So isn't that also called Chess Pie? I need to come with dairy free version of this. My son is deathly allergic(not lactose intolerant, deathly allergic) to dairy. We've come up with many work arounds for many deserts with dairy in them. This one could be tough though. The big part of the flavor is gonna be from the buttermilk
V-465

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of it but it does look to be real tasty.
We are making four pies this weekend, for my Northern friends that are coming down.

Thought I'd give them all a taste of the South! :c

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I've been eating buttermilk pie all my life. One of my kids' favorites.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
I grew up on my

mother's authentic buttermilk pie

. Make sure you

leave out the nutmeg

. That's not original to the pie.

Thanks for the tip! :C

Adding that to the top struck me as odd because nutmeg has a pretty bitter taste.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I grew up on my mother's authentic buttermilk pie. Make sure you leave out the nutmeg. That's not original to the pie.

Magnus

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks good, even I could make it and I don't bake.