cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Wise Laptop Buy For A High School Student?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
He begged me to find a good USA value for a 10"-11" laptop for a niece. Down here private schools require a laptop for high school students. And money is an issue. He has about $120 dollars to spend...

Excellent value is probably job 1.

Meaning reliability and integrity of product.

Giant hard disc, lots of RAM, blue-tooth not vital.

I have about 8 days between ordering and pickup to snatch it when I go north.

Please don't ask why a $120 dollar laptop costs $240 down here.

A tablet is not an option ๐Ÿ˜ž It has to be a laptop

Thank you in advance
44 REPLIES 44

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think blue tooth is vital.
bumpy

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
True story.

My daughter was going off to college so I bought her a laptop. When she got to college, she had her boyfriend do the initial bootup/format of the computer. He thought it would be great fun to make its language Ukrainian.

I had to reformat the hard drive and re-install EVERYTHING. Once that choice has been made, it can not be changed.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ErickNorthman
Explorer
Explorer
It is recommended to seek ***Link Removed***dissertation abstract help online if you find the abstract writing process challenging. If you feel you lack necessary skills to provide a succinct summation of your dissertation, trust your abstract writing to professionals.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Somebodyโ€™s been playing with the Wayback machine this morning.

:):)

True that. At first I thought Mex was back, at least he kept us talking.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Try Dell Refurbished. 3 year old lease return units at decent prices -especially if a coupon code applies. Search for an A grade unit...

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Somebodyโ€™s been playing with the Wayback machine this morning.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Wise use of punctuation is necessary, witness:

"Let's eat Grandma", "Let's eat, Grandma."

"Giant hard disc, lots of RAM, blue-tooth not vital." That sentence implies he wants "Giant hard disc, lots of RAM" and "blue-tooth not vital". If a person wants to be understood, then write to be understood.

OTOH, if it had read "Giant hard disc, lots of RAM, blue-tooth, not vital" then that would imply that none of the three are vital, meaning desired but not necessary.

yep, it confused me, and I read it the first way.
bumpy

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wise use of punctuation is necessary, witness:

"Let's eat Grandma", "Let's eat, Grandma."

"Giant hard disc, lots of RAM, blue-tooth not vital." That sentence implies he wants "Giant hard disc, lots of RAM" and "blue-tooth not vital". If a person wants to be understood, then write to be understood.

OTOH, if it had read "Giant hard disc, lots of RAM, blue-tooth, not vital" then that would imply that none of the three are vital, meaning desired but not necessary.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
racer4 wrote:
T18skyguy,

Mex said "Giant hard disc, lots of RAM, blue-tooth not vital."

Notice the word "not". Maybe he should have wrote NOT.

---------------

Mex, did you find one?

I was not positive as to exactly which part of that sentence was not vital.
bumpy

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy,

Mex said "Giant hard disc, lots of RAM, blue-tooth not vital."

Notice the word "not". Maybe he should have wrote NOT.

---------------

Mex, did you find one?
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
With due respect, I would be interested in knowing why massive ram and massive hard drive is needed for school use. It's just not the case. Maybe they install massive programs down there? If so which ones? Maybe I need schooled on the Mexican system. Plenty of us don't even fill a 500 gig drive, plenty more not even 250 gig. He could save some money that way. More than 8 gig of ram is not often needed, and plenty can get by with 4 if one application at a time is used. At that price point it's going to be a dog, and if used, could be questionable if it would continue to accept windows updates. The cheapest new I could find on cybermonday was a HP 15.6 with AMD processor 4 gig ram and 500 gig HD at Newegg for $219 including shipping. Walmart had it for $189. Good luck
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

MrWizard
you guys want to argue the "Cloud"
start a new topic/thread

this discussion is NOT helping the OP with his question ?

NO more cloud in this thread..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
This is not meant to insult anyone, just a statement of fact. All technology changes have early, mid, and late adopters. But nothing stops the march to new, different, and better ways of doing things.

Cloud storage is ascending for one reason only, it is a better solution. You can believe what you want but that is a fact.

The ironic thing is that cloud storage and cloud based applications in a way are really going back to the old mainframe computer model with dumb terminals that accessed applications and data on remote computers. It's just with a much advanced technology base to support such a model.

I could add a long list of reasons why but they have all been mentioned before in these forums.

I began working in computers in 1960 from the days of vacuum tubes in computers and the rather spectacular evolution of computing technology in the period following then up to now. So continue to worry about the sky falling, but I don't believe it when it comes to cloud technology.

My apologies to the OP for getting off topic.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
"The Cloud" can be very secure and very reliable if implemented properly.

so secure and reliable are not adjectives that you would use for home use of the cloud????????????
I will LMAO when all of a sudden you are charged for rental space in the "cloud".
my "stuff" is all saved to individual thumb drives, etc.
bumpy

Secure and reliable are not adjectives that I would use for home use of the cloud. I don't trust remote storage of any kind with my personal data (though if you think about it, it's all out there anyway with credit reporting agencies, banks, merchants, etc.)

You can LYAO now. Google and Apple both charge for cloud storage beyond the little bit they give you for free.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)