cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Camper and Razorback Football

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
I need some advice on a trip I am planning to put together next Sept. Do not own any RV, but have been researching and reading about truck campers the last couple of years. Retiring in four years and would like to tour the Western US for a while in a truck camper. Probably a pop up, since it will be only me.

I live in Arkansas and when I saw Colorado St on our football schedule, I figured what a great opportunity to test out camping and driving a truck camper. I can fly into Denver a few days before the game and rent a truck camper from Cruise America. One of the few locations that rent this combo. It's the Ford 150 with a modified Lance. Camp maybe Wed to Sat, return the rig and then go to the game.

Question - Colorado St is in Fort Collins, about an hour north of Denver. What would be an easy itinerary to maybe hit a few camping areas for some hiking, fishing, etc.? Don't want to do a lot of driving since my time frame is relatively short. Also want to work in some micro brewery tours, but I can handle that one myself.
19 REPLIES 19

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I seriously doubt that Cruise America is renting overloaded trucks and campers to the public. I assume the truck and camper are both stripped to hit a weight target that is barely within capacities.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
There is a great KOA campground in Fort Collins that a friend of mine who has a 5th wheel raves about. I am not a KOA guy for the most part unless staying in one on our way to somewhere else camping in the boonies but he says it is a really nice KOA. Especially since you are going to the football game it might be one to look into.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
We saw many rented truck camper combos last summer in Alaska. Very common rental unit now at least out west. I think renting one is a great idea.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
If you posted taxable payload on technical forum, that is an opinion.
What is your rear axle rating v/s empty weight?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lance has made many models "for 1/2 ton trucks" over the years. Most of them have dry weights that exceed the payload capacities of the vast majority of F150, 1500-series, and Tundra class pickup trucks by hundreds of pounds.

Average payload capacity for this class of truck is 1500lbs. You've either got to get a very spartan truck and/or a combination of option packages, neither of which is commonly found on dealer lots, to do better than that.

From the web page on the Lance 650:
Dry Weight w/Std. Equipment 1694 Lbs.
Wet Weight w/Std. Equipment 1897 Lbs.

You're already 200lbs overweight on your typical 1/2 ton truck, before you even get in the driver's seat. Even my 2015 Silverado 1500 which has a yellow sticker that gives it a tad over 1700lbs of payload capacity is right at its limit, and I still haven't gotten in the truck.

Please note that I have only expressed FACTS here, no opinions.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I priced out the cost to rent one for a 2 week period as well from them. Not a cheap date by a long shot but much less expensive that buying one and then finding out that truck camping 'isn't for me'

In that respect, it's a good deal. I don't fancy all the 'free advertising. in stick on decals all over the unit, but that is a personal thing with me and don't reflect on the actual use.

Getting your 'feet wet. without sinking your wallet...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:

My original comment was based on a production Lance built for sale to the general market, not the built for Cruise America unit.

The OP was pretty clear what his intention was in his introduction. The question was really what activities in the area would be the best to experience a truck camper. I failed in answering his question directly as well but instead got caught in the "side" draft.
There are obvious reasons it lacks jacks, slides and a generator. It's a perfect opportunity to decide if a truck camper is the way to go. Should it be a great experience, or even ok, he can take away from this and decide if larger holding tanks, a single slide or better quarterback could make things better. We all started somewhere and most didn't have this opportunity.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
yblaw wrote:
Interesting comment by SidecarFlip about (1) Lance production camper won't work on half-ton pickup, and (2) not likely anybody would purchase a Lance/CruiseAmerica-type TC......I think Lance makes a 650 model specifically for half-ton short bed pickups, which is self-contained. And, SidecarFlip, don't you own a pop-up TC, which probably is a tad more spartan than a Lance 650?

I do and it's not spartan at all other than the pop top. I owned (and sold) a fully loaded Lance for many years as well. It was a tank weight wise. The stickered weight and the actual weight were 2 entirely different things, over 1000 pounds difference...

I sill maintain that Lance is the most abusive builder in stating actual unit weights versus the ACTUAL weight of the unit.

My Palomino also has a fantasy weight sticker but at least it's not 1000+ pounds off, only about 500.

The only 2 builders that I know of that actually weigh every individual unit prior to shipment are Capri and Northstar and Maybe 4 Wheel Campers (not sure on that) but I know Capri and Willett so and post that actual weight on each unit.

The rest are fantasy weights based on a bare bones unit, not a real world optioned out unit....
2015 Backpack SS1500

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To the OP, you can find more places to fish, camp, Or drink micro brews than you can visit a couple hours or less of both Fort Collins or Denver.
Sounds like a good opportunity too try on a TC for size and catch the game.
I’d think about tailgating out of the camper. Game’s over, walk “home” and have a couple more micro brewskis!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Well... how private owner would use camper without jacks?
That shave over 100lb from the weight as well, so what might work as rental, will be unacceptable for private ownership.

yblaw
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting comment by SidecarFlip about (1) Lance production camper won't work on half-ton pickup, and (2) not likely anybody would purchase a Lance/CruiseAmerica-type TC......I think Lance makes a 650 model specifically for half-ton short bed pickups, which is self-contained. And, SidecarFlip, don't you own a pop-up TC, which probably is a tad more spartan than a Lance 650?

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
mike/kellie wrote:
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/

Somebody thinks differently. I doubt they are in the white knuckle rental business. Go for it and enjoy the experience. College fans can travel well. That was part of our buying experience in Oregon (go Ducks).

Nothing in your link that substantiates or discourages my claim. I did take a look at the TC's in question and... They appear to be custom built (by Lance) for Cruise America and are certainly spartan and certainly lighter in weight. Things like limited FW capacity a single small house battery and single propane tank as well as very few amenities inside all add up to less weight. They are no slide, no luxury basic campers and yes, a F150 is capable of toting one.

My original comment was based on a production Lance built for sale to the general market, not the built for Cruise America unit. After looking at one and the basic appointments, I agree that it (F150) is a capable truck.

I also see that Cruise America sells used units, I presume units from their rental flee. The list for sale, many units (all motor homes however) in various locations, all 'refurbished' to their specification.

I digress on my comment with this caveat and that is, a retail buyer of a Lance would probably not consider one as a TC for ownership in the first place. It's a very basic TC and not what a buyer would buy normally.
2015 Backpack SS1500

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd do Rocky Mtn. Nat Park.
https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/camping.htm
Might call and check if the campgrounds are open or closed by the weather.

Or...look on Hwy 14 just west of Ft. Collins. Small campgrounds along Cache la Poudre River.
http://uscampgrounds.info/
or:
http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/index.php/products/full-map

Or email or call me!
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/lance-announces-rental-partnership-cruise-america/

Better link. I've seen one also in Arizona
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body