cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awesome Snack Food

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
After years in Mexico we have discovered a lot of different foods. Some you need to acquire a taste. Others are addictive. Here is one that is not advertised and not available in every Super. Called JOCOQUE It comes in various flavors. The best is Zanahoria. You can use it as chip dip or instead of sour cream on a baked potato. I guarantee you will eat the whole container at one sitting. Some of the other flavors are just too spicy. It comes from Mochis and should be available in Maz. Try Wal mart. Sort of a cross between Yoghurt and sour cream.

Moisheh

http://www.jocoquerosy.com/galeria/project/deploy/productos.html
26 REPLIES 26

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Seรฑor qtla9111

One of these days try this:

In an oven proof deep dish, place some corn tortillas then refried beans toped with queso and spoon some salsa verde and then repeat the tortillas, beans, cheese and salsa untill you reach the lip.

Place in a pre heated oven at 350 and cook until hot and cheese has melted just before it burns, serve and enjoy with a cold beer.

This simple dish is called:

Pastel Azteca

What a very silly dish isn't.

Easy to make and delisioso!

navegator

Talleyho69
Sometimes silly is good!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Seรฑor qtla 9111

Yes very silly but good antojitos Mexicanos.

What is the use of visiting Mexico and not tasting some of the not so beaten path platillos Mexicanos.

Hay que vivir la vida loca!

navegator

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
This is all so silly.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And those happy drivers............just keeping coming back for more and more and more and more. All the trucks are parked because the drivers are "out back" unable to climb back into their rigs. Wotta Hoot...

Ever see a taqueria who gets a reputation for making people sick? Sure you have, for a while, they are customer-less, then they disappear.

There are thousands of small places on the road with lots of parking but no truckers. Gee, I wonder why that is...?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
One of the worlds biggest fallacies is that truck stops with lots of trucks serve the best food. Not true in the USA and Canada and certainly not in Mexico . Mexican "truck stops", actually just puestos, serve the cheapest food and lots of it. Often have no refrigeration and no hygiene. We have friends with traileros in the family and they get sick often.

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
There are the Chongos Zamoranos, also called Chongos Morelianos in Morelia you get them fresh otherwise I get them in a can.

Another good dessert is the ATES de fruta, they can be eaten alone or with a slice of cheese, then they are called a vijilante (vigilant).

Try some tacos de cochinita pibil, or salpicon, tacos al pastor, moyetes, huachinango al mojo de ajo, tacos de chalanes de rio, mojarra a la Veracruzana, I will eventually remember more.

The onnly ones I never ask for are:
Ensalada de salmonella.
Tacos de botulismo.
Agua de tifoidea.

Hope you get the joke!

navegator

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget barbacoa de cabrito -- the most delicious meal I ever had in my life. And that was 55 years ago.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
And for dessert!

Pastel de elote tierno.

Specially if you have lunch in Boca del Rio in Veracruz.

navegator

Talleyho69
I just had breakfast, but now I'm starving again!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Some tips ๐Ÿ™‚

• Restaurants swarming with Mexican families is practically a guarantee the food is going to be fresh and delicious
  • If your Spanish is weak point at an item and smile
  • A smile is the greatest translation tool in the world
  • Traditional restaurants focus on "comida" the largest meal in the day
  • Hours for this are from 1:00PM to 4:00PM
  • Traditional Mexican dinner is from 8:00PM to 10:00PM
  • There are numerous roadside restaurants for truckers. Hearty portions. Great prices
  • Roadside restaurants where all the trucks are parked inevitably have the best food
  • Sometimes the lunch specials in restaurantes para trayleros (truckers) are spicy
  • Se puede probarlo means "Can I sample a spoonfull?"
  • Large traditional outdoor markets have tiny restaurants called Fondas
  • Prices are for individual meal components
  • Ex: Chicken with rice, beans separate, vegetable separate
  • Carry a small squeeze bottle of hand sanitizer
  • Except for seafood restaurants I avoid restaurants that accept credit cards especially those in tourist areas
  • Americanized restaurant names "Pancho's Steak & Lobster" will offer inferior quality food at inflated prices
  • Ask a taxi driver to take you to his favorite taco stand (except in questionable cities like Acapulco)Those barbeque Chicken places usually offer chicken cooked over charcoal
  • A la lena (LAY-nya) means cooked over hardwood. Red chicken meat and for many folks even better tasting
  • AGUA FRESCA is fresh fruit run through a blender, diluted with purified water, with a touch of sugar added. It is highly addictive.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
We miss that too...many amazing meals. But, we're lucky. I found a truck that was great and last year the lady closed the truck and opened a small restaurant in our little town. She and her family are from Patzcurao. The restaurant seats, maybe, 25 and is all family run. We go a lot and it is always full. We're usually the only gringos.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Talleyho69
We SO agree!!! The food here is amazing. From the little carnitas place that sells by the kilo and part kilo to the new smoked baby pig place (not carnitas but fabulous) and here in Zihuatanejo, several Chinese places that are either related or definitely NOT related, and totally different.
Then there are the "holes in the wall." Tacos, quesadillas, specialties. Seafood. OMG!!! Gooseneck barnacles, tiny abalone, oysters, and the freshest of fish. We suffer.
Comida corrida, basic great food, balanced, cheap.
Mercados, eat there!
Even the burgers are great, totally different, and fun to eat and compare. Don't come here to drop weight unless you work out daily, hard, like we do.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The best of any Mexican food comes from la cocina del rancho.

Fresh, labor intensive, El sazon de la cocinera (the chef's taste) brings things like cafe de la olla, chilaquiles con pollo, and chorizo come alive.

A person has not lived until they have feasted on authentic tortillas. Direct from the milpa (corn field) with soaking, drying, grinding, patted by hand and cooked over a smoking hardwood fire on a comal de barro (a pottery flat plate). Comparing the real McCoy to YUCK packaged tortillas, is like comparing fresh farmhouse bread right out of the oven to Wonder Bread (Bimbo). For a vague idea, ask for a regionally produced TOSTADA. Compare it's taste to machine made totopos (tortilla chips).

I am spoiled. Brenda is a master cook and so is tia Andrea our neighbor on the beach. I've got chorizo zeroed in from the lady in tianguis on Sundays. She has the best queso de rancho around. Same for chicken. My hens are free range and the eggs have orange not yellow yolks. When cracked into a frying pan the yolks stand up almost separate from the white.

It's a shame most visitors collect and tourist restaurants where between themselves and the restaurant staff, they are convinced any dish is not complete unless it is swimming in melted cheese. About as authentic as a USA fast food chain "burrrrrrrito"

When tired of tacos and enchiladas, Mexico is home to many Lebanese and Chinese. Their respective dishes tend to be much more authentic than anything found outside of Chinatown, or Lebanese enclaves in a few US cities.