cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 250 DEF system failure

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Ford 250 Superduty with the Diesel Exhaust Fluid requirement. Several months ago, the sensor indicated that the fluid was low and we refilled the tank. The sensor would not recognize the full tank, and within 80 km our truck was reduced to idle function. We were pulling a 5th wheel and in the middle of nowhere without cell service in Montana, so it was a stressful situation. We had to abandon the 5th wheel on the side of the road, have the truck towed 40 miles to a Ford dealership, stay in a hotel (in the midst of wildfires), waste two days of vacation. (Ford Assistance would pay only $75.00 of the $275.00 tow bill). After many attempts at repair, the service tech ran the computer system through its paces twice back-to-back and the truck's functions were restored. Now, 3000 km later, the same thing has happened. We are at home, and have taken the truck to a dealership, but in January we are planning to drive south from Alberta to Arizona--over mountains, possibly through poor winter driving conditions, and we're very concerned that we may be stranded again. Has anyone else had problems with their DEF truck systems?
26 REPLIES 26

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
52markwilliams wrote:
Sounds like the fuel exhaust filter got clogged.
They truck usually cleans it from time to time.
The truck can be placed in a limited motion mode
or the programing will just stop the truck.

Usually running the truck down the road for 30 minutes to an
hour will clean out the filter. The dealer can also clean the filter
by running the engine at a high RPM for a half our.

This is what what you've described sounds like to me.

The DPF and the DEF are two completely different and independent systems. A plugged up DPF will have no effect on the DEF tank level system.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm interested in your logic here. How is a "low DEF" alarm that will not go out even after refilling the DEF tank become a clogged "fuel exhaust filter" which I assume you are alluding to the particulate filter?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

52markwilliams
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the fuel exhaust filter got clogged.
They truck usually cleans it from time to time.
The truck can be placed in a limited motion mode
or the programing will just stop the truck.

Usually running the truck down the road for 30 minutes to an
hour will clean out the filter. The dealer can also clean the filter
by running the engine at a high RPM for a half our.

This is what what you've described sounds like to me.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
ipeltier wrote:
UPDATE--The Ford dealer in Alberta replaced the faulty sensor--said Ford has recently sent a memo regarding this problem for diesel trucks made in Canada. When I asked why the Montana Ford repair shop didn't detect the problem, he said they don't have the same memo. I told my husband we should siphon the DEF fluid out until the warning light comes on, and then fill it up and see if the light goes off.

Ford Super Duty f250's - 550's are made at the Kentucky Truck plant. They are all going to have identical DEF tanks regardless of whether they are manufactured for the Canadian or US market. they say they changed the part ... I would believe them and wouldn't worry about siphoning out DEF to check anything.

That is true but there are some variances in the export vehicles. So it is conceivable that a specific part may be different or have a different vendor than one destined for a domestic sale. I also thought I remembered or read about some issues with these sensors before. But it may have been another mfg I don't remember.
It may be conceivable but I highly doubt it. I replaced my 2011 US King Ranch DEF tank with a 2015 Canadian F450 DEF tank and they were both made by Bosch and had identical fittings etc......The F450 is a different part number than the F350 and has a shorter level sensing rod but other than that they looked to be identical.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
jamesroadking wrote:
blofgren wrote:
OP, another option if you're open to it is deleting the emissions equipment on the truck and being done with it. Of course this will likely end your engine warranty....

Also you won't be able to trade your Deleted truck into a dealership, in the future, if you want to sell it you'll have to sell it to a private party in a state that does not have smog testing.
My 2011 6.7 has not had this issue.

One just simply keeps all of the components that "fell off" and put them back on before trading. 😉 I agree that it's probably not worth it if there is emission testing in the area, which I'm quite certain Alberta doesn't, which is where the OP is from.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
ipeltier wrote:
UPDATE--The Ford dealer in Alberta replaced the faulty sensor--said Ford has recently sent a memo regarding this problem for diesel trucks made in Canada. When I asked why the Montana Ford repair shop didn't detect the problem, he said they don't have the same memo. I told my husband we should siphon the DEF fluid out until the warning light comes on, and then fill it up and see if the light goes off.

Ford Super Duty f250's - 550's are made at the Kentucky Truck plant. They are all going to have identical DEF tanks regardless of whether they are manufactured for the Canadian or US market. they say they changed the part ... I would believe them and wouldn't worry about siphoning out DEF to check anything.

That is true but there are some variances in the export vehicles. So it is conceivable that a specific part may be different or have a different vendor than one destined for a domestic sale. I also thought I remembered or read about some issues with these sensors before. But it may have been another mfg I don't remember.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
ipeltier wrote:

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
jamesroadking wrote:
blofgren wrote:
OP, another option if you're open to it is deleting the emissions equipment on the truck and being done with it. Of course this will likely end your engine warranty....

Also you won't be able to trade your Deleted truck into a dealership, in the future, if you want to sell it you'll have to sell it to a private party in a state that does not have smog testing.

The op is from Canada ,in my part of the country your vehicle is E tested every 2 years.
So a delete is not advisable is you want your plates renewed.

I'd already be deleted if I didn't have to deal with emission testing.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a strange DEF problem I added extra gauges that use the ODB II port. I can watch the soot level rise, see regen start, see the soot level drop and monitor DEF level, even the DEF pump pressure. Never had another issue, but now I have a. Earlier warning if something looks wrong. When towing just less chance of getting stuck on the side of the road. I average 700+ miles between regens.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
In all actuality, when you do a delete, the engine runs much cooler, gets better fuel mileage and performs better. Of course the downside is, it won't pass an emissions test. Not something I worry about myself but if you live in a test area is't a major concern.

Under warranty, I'd just let the Ford dealer deal with it and I'd get the extended warranty, the Ford Motor extended Red Carpet Warranty administrated by Ford and no other (It's listed in your owners mauual under 'warranty' and can be initiated over the phone with a call to Ford in Dearborn, Michigan.

I have it on my new Focus, not because I'm anticipating issues but because of all the electronic gizmo's. Nice thing about the Red Carpet extended warranty is when you get it, Fords immediately initiates it with ALL Ford authorized dealers so you are on file, everywhere with no hassle from any dealer. For me, it's worth the extra expense.

We happen to be a Ford family so we all drive the company product which is, neither here nor there actually but, IMO, Ford builds a quality product for the most part, however the emissions components are not Ford but other suppliers. I cannot see playing 'Russian Roulette' with components that may fail when I can buy the extended warranty and be 100% covered for the mileage and time I feel necessary.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
jamesroadking wrote:
blofgren wrote:

The op is from Canada ,in my part of the country your vehicle is E tested every 2 years.
So a delete is not advisable is you want your plates renewed.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. The truck is at the Ford dealership so we'll see what their answer is. The previous reset was done in a very small dealership in northern Montana and we never really got an answer. The truck is still under warranty, thank goodness.