Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do I need to reserve in advance?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do I need to reserve in advance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Alexum

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/17 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm planning to start my first rv trip in May.
I have already read information about some locations that are booked in advance in minutes, but what about parks (private and public) that are not in the top and also not 1 or 2 star places. Will it be hard to get place 3-10 days before arrival in summer, not taking into account holiday?

I don't what to plan 2-4 months ahead, it's braking the whole idea in my head - that rv traveling let you go whenever, wherever you want. I have 25 days and I just what to travel North.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/17 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I really specifically want to stay at a certain place I make a reservation. Otherwise, when just traveling around I've never had trouble finding a camps site. Yes, sometimes you'll pull into a campground and they will be full; I just move along to the next one and find a space. That's part of the flexibility you're talking about.
Holidays are a different story entirely. If you want to camp on a holiday weekend you better make reservations way in advance.
ON a typical week or 2 week trip I might have a couple nights reserved at key places but the majority of the trip we just "find" a place.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/17 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dunno in your part of the country and where you want to camp, but I like the State Parks in WA state, as that's all I can do since I live here and the "private" parks" are not my style...

Anyway, I have to reserve 9 months ahead of time, and that's the max time you can reserve, or you are just SOL on the nice sites for the most part...

It's all done online and starts at 7am , 9 months ahead of time..

I do long weekends, so Fri thru Mon, so if you are doing the middle of the week thing, you can usually walk on in with no problem.. Weekends around here however are all booked up.. Sucks when you have to work during the week, so that's my camping choices I'm left with..

I just make it work.. 9 months reservation.. Something else comes up on that weekend.. Depends on what it is to make me cancel.. Basically, it has to be a death in the family, or a major illness... [emoticon]

Otherwise, "sorry, I'm booked up that weekend".. [emoticon]

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/17 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You kinda have give a better idea where.

Are any places popular? Many popular places get booked months in advance.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/17 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends. I know that's not a very helpful answer, but it's the best one I can give.

If you're going someplace or some time (e.g. a holiday weekend) that is quite popular, reservations well in advance are essential, doubly so on weekends. If you're going someplace that is not especially popular, reservations are usually quite unnecessary, though I still often make them particularly for weekend trips so I know I'll have a place when I get wherever I'm going. It has sometimes meant having a reserved site at a park where there are only a couple of other campers there to occupy the dozens of sites.

If you're limited in what sites you can take (say because you have a long RV and it's a park with mostly little sites, or because you want one of the few full hookup sites, or something), then reservations are more important than if you can take any old site.

If you'll be arriving late in the evening, reservations are often more necessary than if you arrive earlier in the day. Whatever first-come, first-serve sites may get taken as the day wears on.

If you'll be camping on a weekend, reservations are more often necessary than if you're arriving on a Monday or Tuesday as you won't be competing with people who work during the week.

Many of the online reservation systems let you see how many sites are available on a given date. If you generally keep an eye on how many are left unreserved as time goes on, you can get a reasonable feel for how necessary a reservation might be. If it's a month out and all but a couple are reserved, it would probably be prudent to make a reservation yourself before they're all gone. On the other hand, if nearly all the sites stay available, it's pretty well likely that you can get one without a reservation in advance.

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/17 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In California at BLM and USFS CGs on non-holiday weekends and arriving by 1 pm, no. Some CA State parks too.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

[email protected]

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/17 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with the other poster that says that most of the time, there's no need for reservations. Especially if you time your moves for during the week instead of the weekends and than stay over a weekend. In addition, even during holidays, I've traveled, arrived early at a state RV park, and just waited until they have a cancellation...and they always do. Gotta get there at noon or so, and put your name in.

Most of the time though, I arrive at a RV park early during a holiday week on a Sunday afternoon or Monday/Tuesday, and pay for a week. Lots of people leave on a Sunday so there's almost always open spaces. And I'll pay for a week plus a day or two if it's a holiday on the following weekend. All in order to be there before the holiday and a couple days after.

Most of the year though, I travel freely without worrying about reservations...but, I still keep to the schedule of only traveling so I arrive at an area between Sunday afternoon and early Friday afternoon.

[email protected]
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/17 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^ [email protected] gave our answer. He does it just like we did and even with our 40' motorhome we didn't have issues, including staying in national parks. Some campgrounds don't even accept reservations. Then too, we don't do touristy things and busy city areas. We enjoy the countrysides and mountains. We also liked boondocking on public lands and any kind of public park - national forests, county, city, etc.

There's no way we would have full-timed and traveled constantly during our 16 years if we had to make reservations.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/17 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there have been many articles written about the large increase in Rv's being built and not enough campsites to hold them all. if you want to play safe make a reservation now

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 12:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally, no issue.

Popular park on a holiday...yeah get a reservation.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do I need to reserve in advance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS