Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do I need to reserve in advance?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do I need to reserve in advance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/17 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please stick to topic. Political posts and references are not tolerated in this forum as per the Forum Rules.

The "seasoned" members know this and should be able to police themselves.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As much as I hate to do it, it looks like I will have to make some reservations for our upcoming Alaska trip. Unfortunate timing but our daughter will be flying into Fairbanks right in the middle of their June 21st Summer Soltice Festival. Been there before at that time. It is a real big deal to the locals & CGs fill up. We are off to Denali right after that & the Teklaneka CG is always in big demand so reservations will be needed there too. Except for a couple of music festivals along the way the hope is to wing it for the rest of the trip.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/17 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We make reservations where ever we go. My wife has to plan everything down to the roads etc. I can't get off the beaten path so to speak. Must take interstate. 2 land is too slow. She's been driven all her life, won't change her.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Passin Thru wrote:

We make reservations where ever we go. My wife has to plan everything down to the roads etc. I can't get off the beaten path so to speak. Must take interstate. 2 land is too slow. She's been driven all her life, won't change her.

Wow! I'm really sorry to hear that. [emoticon]

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Newbie J

Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am new to RVing but I have already planned several trips and have made reservations for every stop through the end of November 2018,
That way I can plan and know the cost and amenities up front.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't go anywhere without booking every CG well in advance, private or memberships CGs. You only have to find yourself without a place to stay once and won't travel without pre-booking again.

If you want to go free-wheeling gypsy style, wherever, whenever, it'd be a really good idea to have a laptop and a mobile hotspot like Verizon mifi. Also very helpful to check out road conditions (traffic, construction, road type, etc.), wildfires, weather, tourist attractions and much more. Wifi? Fuggedaboutit - it's usually pretty unreliable. If you can't get into a CG en route for some reason, it'd be a good idea to be prepared to have a plan B like a Walmart, rest stop, etc.

When we go on longer trips, we've always pre-booked everything based on length of stay and travel time. Never been a problem except when there was a forest fire in Montana and we had to change plans on the fly or the time we tried to add a couple of days on the Or. coast and they just laughed at us.

I would try planning a hypothetical route now and find places where you'd want to stay and contact the CGs and see what they say about booking in advance. Consider a membership in Coast-Coast, Good Sam, Passport America, Thousand Trails, etc. We're T/T members and it's worked great for us. Not everyone's cup of tea tho.

Used to be I couldn't even spell RV, now we own one!

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, many mods (mild to wild), Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, supercab, 4WD, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS & T-valves

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on where and when we're going we'll make reservations. But with that being said, we are not destination campers. We will not drive to, say, a Florida campground and spend a week. 3 days is about our max and we get happy feet, or wheels, and gotta see what's around the next bend.
Example being that we are going to Ft. Pickens the end of February and sites are hard to come by that time of year. We booked for 3 days and found an opening down the coast for another 3 days. After that it's away from the coast where sites are more available and we'll see what we can find.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do I need to reserve in advance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS