Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Home Depot Allure vinyl floor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Home Depot Allure vinyl floor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had Allure in the coach for 3 seasons now, stored outside in New England and it hasn't moved. It looks as good now as it did when I put it down in April. We've already been down into the 20s which is as cold as it gets here.

IMHO, you have problems with Allure or any vinyl when you don't let it float. I made sure there was an 1/8th inch space all the way around and I didn't nail or screw anything through the vinyl into the subfloor. I cut around things like the TV cabinet, the copilot seat and the couch legs and mounting brackets, and I used double stick tape to stick down the molding. I put red rosin paper between the subfloor and the vinyl as well.

This is what it looked like right after installation. Looks the same now. You can see the space inder the TV cabinet on the right where I put it up on 1X2s and cut around them.

[image]

[image]

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed

wiredgeorge

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

We redid our class A with Allure flooring, and had no problems. Just do not glue or staple it, as it needs to expand and contract some with the weather.

Has your RV sat in temps lower than 55 degrees and higher than 85 degrees when not in use? I am thankful that folks have chosen to answer and supply their opinions but I was really looking forward to hearing from someone who has actually used the stuff. I did read the manufacturer's warning about voiding the warranty if temps were out of range but not sure that I care about the warranty all that much. thanks wg

wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F250/2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
1980 GS1000G
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike

wiredgeorge

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

I've had Allure in the coach for 3 seasons now, stored outside in New England and it hasn't moved. It looks as good now as it did when I put it down in April. We've already been down into the 20s which is as cold as it gets here.

IMHO, you have problems with Allure or any vinyl when you don't let it float. I made sure there was an 1/8th inch space all the way around and I didn't nail or screw anything through the vinyl into the subfloor. I cut around things like the TV cabinet, the copilot seat and the couch legs and mounting brackets, and I used double stick tape to stick down the molding. I put red rosin paper between the subfloor and the vinyl as well.

This is what it looked like right after installation. Looks the same now. You can see the space inder the TV cabinet on the right where I put it up on 1X2s and cut around them.

[image]

[image]

Looks great. I know to let a space for expansion and thought to use 1/4" round above it to hide the gap. Did you consider this or is the gap just not noticeable enough to be an issue? Thanks wg

Fputnam

Currently home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/17 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also did our Class A with the Allure flooring. Loved it. One cautionary note though. Be fanatical about letting the floor float (ie be able to move). If it is in any way movement restricted it will separate leaving an unsightly gap or two. Don not nail it or screw it to the floor. Cut, leaving space at walls, floor cabinets and out side corners and you'll be fine. We have had it in freezing weather and 100 degree plus weather and had no problems. Go for it!

Wind River

wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/17 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed Allure in our rig which is stored outside. Last winter's low temp was -30°F. This spring no movement at all and it still looked as good as new. Of course I left 1/4" where the flooring meets the walls. DO NOT glue, let the floor float. We did not walk on it during the winter. I am very pleased with the product.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/17 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wiredgeorge wrote:

Looks great. I know to let a space for expansion and thought to use 1/4" round above it to hide the gap. Did you consider this or is the gap just not noticeable enough to be an issue? Thanks wg

1/4 round will work fine. I used the pre-finished plastic stuff with a little profile. Just don't nail the 1/4 round through the vinyl. Either nail it to the sidewall or double-stick tape it to the flooring.

Like Frank said above, be fanatical about letting it float.

jesseannie

BOISE IDAHO

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/17 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The manufacturers warning is IMHO a liability issue. There may be occassional issues with weather and movement in RVs and they don't want any warranty problems. Take the advise of the users here and go for it.
One thing I have heard is there may be some broken or cracked edges right out of the box. So pre-sort the planks so you use the broken ones for cuts.
Jesseannie

yankee camper

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/17 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

wiredgeorge wrote:

1/4 round will work fine. I used the pre-finished plastic stuff with a little profile. Just don't nail the 1/4 round through the vinyl. Either nail it to the sidewall or double-stick tape it to the flooring.

Like Frank said above, be fanatical about letting it float.

x3 going on 3 years in Rhode Island and still looks good as new !

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/17 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed some "wood look " stick on vinyl floor in our last truck camper and it shrunk quite a bit, I never put it together that the reason could have been from the extreem temp swings untill your post.

1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Playtime II

Holiday FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/17 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Installed the adhesive edge version when we lived in Northern VA. Had several places where the end (short edge) opened up 1/8". None of my long edges opened. Since the edge opened that little, we still have a waterproof floor which cant be said for the engineered click type.

Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Home Depot Allure vinyl floor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS