cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to put my rv into rental agency, which one is best?

landyachter
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a class C short RV, already have a 5th wheel and wife doesn't like the C its a great previous rental, 2017 in perfect shape. Ive decided to justify keeping this beauty I would rent it out and see how that goes.
But with so many scams out there I'm looking for the best one that is out there. I've been approached from a few questionable individuals and I want to be careful. thanks, any help is appreciated. I just joined and not sure how well this works. Please respond here or email me at chucky713@aol.com
38 REPLIES 38

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
We've rented cats in the BVI's and a Class C from Cruise America. All were in pretty good shape. We left all of them in better shape than we found it - cleaned them up good and fixed a lot of stuff. Always take duck tape, bungees, line, a volt meter and a Leatherman. With the tools on board I can usually solve most problems because they all have them.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

LLeopold
Explorer
Explorer
For those of us who live in coastal communities and have frequent interactions with those who RV and those who boat (and those who have both), there are commonalities between the two hobbies and there are also obvious differences.

I, myself, have rented boats (not yachts, but 40 foot pleasure craft with sleeping and eating accommodations) and do appreciate the same level of pleasure of "camping" on the water as well as on land and treated the rental with the same courtesy and respect as my own RV.

I'll let the boat posts stand and, while it is nice to compare and contrast the two, it would behoove us to stay on the RV side of the topic.
Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Hey, I have a great idea! How about a boating forum here? Why is it so hard to stay on topic and answer the OP's questions? It is past time for the moderator to moderate the off topic discussion or nuke this.

I think if you read the entire thread you might find it is not really off topic as it directly addresses several issues when renting an RV.

One: Its no different than renting any other asset
Two: What kind of customers rent RV,s
Three: The boat issue was brought up by me to show that even much more valuable assets are rented very successfully.

In my HO that is still on the topic.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Hey, I have a great idea! How about a boating forum here? Why is it so hard to stay on topic and answer the OP's questions? It is past time for the moderator to moderate the off topic discussion or nuke this.
The original question was posted on 12/18/17, and the OP last posted on 5/16/18 in the Class C forum. Don't think she cares what anyone has to say about her plan to rent her camper.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:

Rent a yacht or 40-60 ft sailboat for 900-1600 a week?? Get real! You must be renting a 10 ft Sunfish! Let us all know details where we can charter an expensive sailboat for that price! You can add a big zero onto that number! My point was that you cannot compare the class of yacht renters to RV renters!

Here are the actual cost from BVI Yacht charter: The prices are for 7 days.

Beneteau 31 ( 2 Cabins & 1 Head, Shoreside A/C ) $1,650 $1,850 $2,000 $2,500
All of our prices below are based on 7 nights aboard. Charters begin at noon on your first day, and end at noon on your final day. Being a small company we can be more flexible, allowing you to start and finish your charter on any day that suits you.

This boat is big enough to comfortably hold two couples for a week. And small enough for a novice to handle. Relatively uncomplicated

And that's only $412.50 per person/per week @ the $1650 price.

Of course a 50 ft catamaran that easily accommodates 10 people is far more expensive...but so are larger RV's to rent.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:

Rent a yacht or 40-60 ft sailboat for 900-1600 a week?? Get real! You must be renting a 10 ft Sunfish! Let us all know details where we can charter an expensive sailboat for that price! You can add a big zero onto that number! My point was that you cannot compare the class of yacht renters to RV renters!

I'm curious as to why one cannot compare them, aside from the obvious difference in how much cash they have and are paying out.

It seems to me that there are inconsiderate and sleezy wealthy people, just as there are inconsiderate and sleezy middle-class and poor people...and of course also plenty of decent, conscientious wealthy and not so wealthy people, too. Having money and having character are pretty much independent of each other.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Beentherefixedthat wrote:
You totally missed DRSTEVE's point: His reference to "Cousin Eddie" is an example from the movie "Vacation" of the class of people who cannot afford to own but will consider renting someone ele's RV. You cannot compare renting an RV to renting a very expensive yacht! The type of person, income level and even education and responsibility of that individual who can spend 10's of thousands of $ a week is not the level of person who may rent an rv for a few hundred a day! The risk factor to the RV of abuse is FAR, FAR greater!

Well actually I didnt miss his point at all. And you are incorrect about the cost of chartering a sailboat (yacht if you prefer) Most people who do it are simple middle class folks.

And you most certainly can compare the two: They both entail renting a peice of equipment that costs between 70 and more than a hundred thousand dollars for a short term.

Both are covered by insurance and a hefty deposit.

And in fact it is much easier to determine if someone is qualified to drive an RV than it is to determine if someone can competently sail a 40 foot sailboat.

As for the risk factor being greater for an RV over a sailboat? It is clearly more risky to give someone a sailboat to sail on the open ocean than an RV which can be pulled in to any parking lot and wait for a mechanic or tow truck. In the RV there is no Radar, SSB Radio, Life raft to know how to deploy (and when)Weather Fax, Bilge pump. self furling sails to master, Anchor or Anchoring safely for that matter.

On a sailboat one wrong valve turned can sink the boat and leave the entire crew in the water (if lucky).

An RV is basically a truck or trailer made into a house. Both familiar to all of us in many ways. A sailboat is a much different animal altogether. And while it is true that chartering a boat is a bit more expensive you can still do it for about $900 to $1600 for a week for a boat that holds TWO couples.

While I didnt see the movie referenced I did of course recognize what was being said...But I just don't buy it.

Finally; I have met many many many people out here who are renters of RV,s from American Families to a Group of Japanese college students and all kinds of other folks from here and abroad...in every case I found them to be extremely careful, open to advice and help and fully aware they were responsible for the care of the vehicle they had rented. I found NO Cousin Eddies.

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

And you most certainly can compare the two: They both entail renting a piece of equipment that costs between 70 and more than a hundred thousand dollars for a short term.

Wait, what? Your previous post says "people with multi million dollar yachts do this all of the time."

Move the goalposts if you want, I stand by my assertion that Cousin Eddie isn't renting a multimillion dollar boat. But do you really think that because YOU never met Cousin Eddie that he doesn't exist, and he never rents anything? People who rent things out as a business would beg to differ.

Well to just go back and parse out every phrase...yes if you take me out of context you have a point. But that wasn't the context.

In my original "multi Milllion" statement I was referring to the top end of that market to make the point that...wait for it ....EVEN Multi Million Dollar yachts are rented. No one moved the goal posts.

In my recent response I was comparing like priced boats and RV's...

I thought that was obvious.

Apparently I was wrong and for that I apologize and will spell it all out more succinctly next time.

And I never said that this "Cousin Eddie" did not exist. A more careful reading will show that I said that all of the folks I HAD MET in more than 4 years out here and all over the country from Alaska to MD were careful and took their responsibility seriously.

In any business, and that it what it is when you rent out or charter something, there is risk, and there is insurance and deposits to mitigate those risks. The Unit being rented is a "tool"... for use. It will wear. My point is simply it is a viable endeavor despite your nay-saying.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen Cousin Eddie's all over the big national parks in Cruise America motorhomes. I'd guess smaller rental outfits get better quality renters, but I don't really know. I do know I had a TON of people tell me what a horrible idea it was to keep our old house as a rental when we moved. That was a long time ago, now we have several rental properties and it remains one of the best financial decisions we ever made. YMMV, and obviously a depreciating RV is no house.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer

And you most certainly can compare the two: They both entail renting a piece of equipment that costs between 70 and more than a hundred thousand dollars for a short term.

Wait, what? Your previous post says "people with multi million dollar yachts do this all of the time."

Move the goalposts if you want, I stand by my assertion that Cousin Eddie isn't renting a multimillion dollar boat. But do you really think that because YOU never met Cousin Eddie that he doesn't exist, and he never rents anything? People who rent things out as a business would beg to differ.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
You totally missed DRSTEVE's point: His reference to "Cousin Eddie" is an example from the movie "Vacation" of the class of people who cannot afford to own but will consider renting someone ele's RV. You cannot compare renting an RV to renting a very expensive yacht! The type of person, income level and even education and responsibility of that individual who can spend 10's of thousands of $ a week is not the level of person who may rent an rv for a few hundred a day! The risk factor to the RV of abuse is FAR, FAR greater!

Well actually I didnt miss his point at all. And you are incorrect about the cost of chartering a sailboat (yacht if you prefer) Most people who do it are simple middle class folks.

And you most certainly can compare the two: They both entail renting a peice of equipment that costs between 70 and more than a hundred thousand dollars for a short term.

Both are covered by insurance and a hefty deposit.

And in fact it is much easier to determine if someone is qualified to drive an RV than it is to determine if someone can competently sail a 40 foot sailboat.

As for the risk factor being greater for an RV over a sailboat? It is clearly more risky to give someone a sailboat to sail on the open ocean than an RV which can be pulled in to any parking lot and wait for a mechanic or tow truck. In the RV there is no Radar, SSB Radio, Life raft to know how to deploy (and when)Weather Fax, Bilge pump. self furling sails to master, Anchor or Anchoring safely for that matter.

On a sailboat one wrong valve turned can sink the boat and leave the entire crew in the water (if lucky).

An RV is basically a truck or trailer made into a house. Both familiar to all of us in many ways. A sailboat is a much different animal altogether. And while it is true that chartering a boat is a bit more expensive you can still do it for about $900 to $1600 for a week for a boat that holds TWO couples.

While I didnt see the movie referenced I did of course recognize what was being said...But I just don't buy it.

Finally; I have met many many many people out here who are renters of RV,s from American Families to a Group of Japanese college students and all kinds of other folks from here and abroad...in every case I found them to be extremely careful, open to advice and help and fully aware they were responsible for the care of the vehicle they had rented. I found NO Cousin Eddies.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
One of the reasons we travel by RV (note that the word "camp" is not in there) is that it is "my" bed, "my" bathroom, "my frying pan, "my coffee cup, etc. No one else uses any of it and I am responsible for condition and availability at all times.

That would seem to be lost if it were in rental service, no matter how responsible the renters or the company.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"