Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Texas hurricane recovery
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Texas hurricane recovery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/17 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjjandrbaker wrote:

Good friends of mine camped over Thanksgiving at Pioneer on Mustang Island. They said the park was repaired nicely. They were able to enjoy several different restaurants and businesses, but posted some videos and pictures that show a lot of devastation still in the area. It will take some time to get back to normal, but that is a good reason to visit now. If we don't go there, they won't have the income needed to make repairs.

I agree. We are currently at Majestic Oak in Rockport. The park suffered damage, but has cleaned up nicely and is about 85% full. When we were informed they were back open, we did not hesitate to fulfill the reservation we made this last spring. Many areas are still hurting, but the area is at about 80% open for business.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/17 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all of the replies! We love that area but don't want to get in the way of the rebuilding process. We will not be going until Feb. so I would think it will be better by then. As said above I am sure they need the tourist $ to help them rebuild.
Ed

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/17 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most chatter is saying if they are open and have vacancies please come, they need the business and income to help rebuild the community, not just the RV parks but also the restaurants and other businesses that the Winter Texans patronize.

John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/17 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

olfarmer wrote:

... We love that area but don't want to get in the way of the rebuilding process...

My 2c's is I would book in your home park in Palacios. I did not go into the business area or the RV park, but can pretty much guess they got zero damage and all the things you love there are still going strong. I would then unhook the toad and take the short drive down to Rockport and check things and the parks out. Port Aransas was ground zero for landfall. Rockport/Fulton couldn't have been that far behind.

Only reason I would check things out first is because in Port Lavaca I was going to spend the night in one of the RV parks due to some very strong head winds causing higher then wanted transmissions temps. When I drove through the park it was pretty much full of workers, all their gear, and large trucks. Decided to WalMart park instead, easier to get in and out plus guessing more quiet at night and then again early in the morning.

Getting gas in the morning at Buck'ees was a wait. Nothing but loud 3/4 and 1 ton trucks filling up for the day. It's good to support the local economy, but I would check out the park to make sure you're not shortchanging yourself on the snowbird experience in the process.

texanrvr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We visited relatives near Palacios and drove through Serendipity Bay Resort and it was business as usual. All of the newer pull-thru sites were occupied but there were openings in the older section.

Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Texas hurricane recovery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS