Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's the BEST camping experience you ever had?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's the BEST camping experience you ever had?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/17 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could appreciate a lot more of these best camping experiences if they included photographic details. [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/17 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sunrise over the Gulf of Mexico from our site at HoHum RV Park, Carrabelle FL. This was on our retirement trip and it was the most memorable place for me.

[image]

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/17 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

md_procouple wrote:

That's the best type of "Wildlife" to watch lol !!

My wife, when she first wakes up in the morning! [emoticon]

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/17 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 1985 a friend called to ask if I wanted to pack some elk hunters for a paycheck. My brother got hired as the cook. We packed about 20 miles into the Colorado mountains in the San Juan Range with a string of mules and set up our camp at 10,800 feet. We had 4 wall tents with wood stoves in late October. Snow most of the 10 days on the trip and below zero most nights.

About the 6th day I put one of our hunters on a 6 point elk that busted out of the brush. He jumped off his horse and fired 3 quick shots at about 75 yards. We found a tiny blood trail but it took two hours to track the big bull. I went back to camp and got two pack mules to haul the meat. After quartering the elk and tying them with diamond hitches, we left the gut pile and I was the last one out. It was steep country so I was watching backward eyeballing the mules. A black bear had been waiting to hit the gut pile and he was on top of it.

We turned out the stock, hung the meat, and got back to a warm tent. After some good Kentucky bourbon, I handed my brother the elk liver which had come from the warm elk into a plastic bag on my horse's saddlle bags. My brother cooked the liver right on the wood stove with bacon and onions. The aroma inside the tent was like perfume. Even the people that said they didn't eat liver had two helpings. That trip was hard to beat, and I got paid to do it.

Finally Time

Western Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/17 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had just bought my first RV in May, a 21 foot travel trailer, from a dealer in Topeka. The dog and I were camping our way back home to Northern California and stopped at a campground in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. There I met a Scottish couple bicycle camping around the world as a fund raiser for a British Heart Foundation. We enjoyed talking about our travels around a campfire when it started to snow. We adjourned to my trailer and enjoyed the evening in warm comfort. I thought there could be noting as great as seeing the country with comforts of an RV.

'13 Winnebago Vista 27N, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had several memorable trips. Back in the late 90's we took a trip from Pa to Arizona.It was 90 degrees in Amarillo,Texas on the 3rd night.Next night it was 15 degrees and snowing in Gallop,NM.Rest of trip the weather improved. Went to the Grand Canyon, Cottonwood,Tuzigoot,Jerome and Ft Vere. Then to Canyon De Chelly and back home. In 2016 we took a trip to Yellowstone. We stayed at Madison Campground.One the 3rd day we saw a mother grizzly and 3 cubs. Met up with some friends who moved from Pa to Montana.This past spring,we stayed at Frisco Campground in Cape Hatteras national park. Another nice trip.We had a very secluded site and with the America the Beautiful pass it was only $13 a night. We visited the Life Saving Museum in Rondanthe and the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum.

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/17 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have the winner!!!!

Finally Time wrote:

I had just bought my first RV in May, a 21 foot travel trailer, from a dealer in Topeka. The dog and I were camping our way back home to Northern California and stopped at a campground in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. There I met a Scottish couple bicycle camping around the world as a fund raiser for a British Heart Foundation. We enjoyed talking about our travels around a campfire when it started to snow. We adjourned to my trailer and enjoyed the evening in warm comfort. I thought there could be noting as great as seeing the country with comforts of an RV.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/17 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There have been so many. The first bluegrass festival, we sort of stumbled upon, was very special. An especially clear night at Dead Horse Point SP, UT. was memorable. Any one of a number of Yukon Government CGs where we have been miles from anywhere & had very few others in the CG.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

EgorKC

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/17 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bout 10 years back MIL was lamenting that she wanted to take a trip out west with friends but they would not commit to planning one. I later told DW we should invite her on a 4 day weekend trip we had planned in our then high side pop-up. My thought was if she tolerated the cramped marine toilet/shower and was ok with the bed we could invite her on our next planned trip. She went, had a great time and said we had a nice little trailer. On the way home I said "hey Mom, we are going to Bryce Canyon and Southern Utah this summer. Would you like to go with us?" Within the blink of an eye she said, "I'd love to."
DW and I had been to Bryce once before so we knew the breathtaking beauty. Once we got to the 1st point and walked up to the rim MIL was completely silent. I looked at her and there were tears running down her cheek. I said are you ok Mom? She said "thank you so much for bringing me here. This is beautiful." BEST TRIP EVER!
P.S. she has gone on 3 other trips and will more again.

You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ">
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 2 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat">
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had a bunch with just me & DW but one of our best I would still have to say would be our family trip to Cherrystone Camping Resort,VA about 13 yrs ago. My boys still talk about the shark we caught on the Chesapeake that we cooked at the campsite, the crabbing they did at the docks and the day trips to Busch Gardens and VA Beach. [emoticon]

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 165K"

State & Provinces we have camped

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's the BEST camping experience you ever had?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS