Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's the BEST camping experience you ever had?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's the BEST camping experience you ever had?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to my now adult children, it's the trip we took to Ohiopyle SP in PA when they were teenagers. White water rafting for the win!

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Kittykath

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 15 years ago, when our boys were 9 and 7, we borrowed an old Class C for our first non-tent camping trip. We were as green as could be. Of course we didn't pack properly, leaving us with many opportunities to be creative and resourceful. Our boys had an absolute blast devising makeshift box, stick and string contraptions to catch and release gophers. The list of made up non-technology entertainment lasted the whole weekend. The last night it poured. And poured. With sideways rain. I filled the camper with the scent of a warm meal, while the others set puzzles and TALKED, hardly noticing the tenters outside running for cover. We were warm and happy and fell in love with camper camping that day.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago I went on a private raft trip for my 65th birthday in Oregon for a week. I invited only close friends and my best dog. We ran into herds of elk swimming the river below camp, bighorn sheep, beaver, otter, and mink. We stopped counting bald eagles on the second day at 18. The campsites were several acres in size next the river shaded by ponderosa pines. It was a wild and scenic river so all camp sites were totally clean with no campfire rings. I baked a cake in a Dutch Oven. My friends recited stories and read articles about my birthday. It is the kind of trip by which all others are judged.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

"Best" is impossible to narrow down. "Memorable" and "eventful" is another thing.

The list goes on and on.... not places are the "best"... "memories" that are not-forgettable is what its all about.

So well said. Your goose story reminds me of a similar event that happened with my beautiful K-9 partner (Dorsta), accept it involved an alligator instead of a goose.

Your 'take' on "memories" was spot on!

Thanks for sharing.

Lakeside

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

"Best" is impossible to narrow down. "Memorable" and "eventful" is another thing.

The list goes on and on.... not places are the "best"... "memories" that are not-forgettable is what its all about.

So well said. Your goose story reminds me of a similar event that happened with my beautiful K-9 partner (Dorsta), accept it involved an alligator instead of a goose.

Your 'take' on "memories" was spot on!

Thanks for sharing.

Lakeside

That's why the title of the thread has "Best Camping EXPERIENCE".

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Let's keep rolling!
Magnus

DustyR

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lifetime of best camping trips.
Most memorable was the summer after my high school graduation. My father, probably realizing that this was the last time we would truly have together as father and son before college and the world came into view. We packed up the car and all the camping supplies and a tarp we would use for shelter and went fishing. The budget was $80.00 and groceries, we fished many streams that week and caught a fair amount of fish and keep a couple every evening for dinner.
One evening we were getting low on groceries and walking up from the stream we were fishing and passed by a garden where a lady was working. I greeted her and asked if she would trade some vegetables for a couple Bass. Her response surprised me, "I will fix you dinner with your Bass if you will clean them for me". We spent a very nice evening with her family.
The list of memorable camping trips have gone on for a lifetime, but pale in comparison to the standard provided by that trip.
A father, son and the rest of the life meshed together with a love of the outdoors. Time has changed me, the tarp tent has been replaced by the TT in my sig. What hasn't changed is the desire to see what is over the crest of the next hill or the beauty of wildlife seen thru my cameras lense.

Coachmen Denali 270FK 32 Ft.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission,
EFI by Kory, 4" Exhaust w/muffler turbo back

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/18 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

I could appreciate a lot more of these best camping experiences if they included photographic details. [emoticon]

[image]

Mike [emoticon]

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 180K"

State & Provinces we have camped

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/18 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our last trip to Yellowstone was just perfect. We went in late May 2017 and the weather was just like home in soCal except it had snowed the day or month prior to us getting there. There was a frozen lake just inside the South Entrance that was thawed by the time our two weeks was up, the Snake River was wider than our personal guide (Black Dog Raft Co) had ever seen it and the crowds inside the Park and down in Jackson were minimal. Zero issues with the 26 year old truck and a few with the 1 year old trialer but nothing I couldn't fix.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/18 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent one Christmas in Huntington Beach State Park. 3 weeks trip to Arizona including seeing the Grand Canyon, Cottonwood,Tuzigoot,Jerome, Canyo De Chelley and the Hubbell Trading Post. Then another time we were heading Yellowstone from Pa. Van blew up in Cumberland,Md. Spent 5 days in a parking lot while the motor was replaced. Took off and a spring broke on the trailer. Never made it to Yellowstone. Ended up in Kansas but it was ok. On the way back ripped off the sewer dump valve backing into a site.Then 2016, we finally made it to Yellowstone. Stayed in Madison Campground. A mother grizzly and 3 cubs came walking down the road right at out van. Great trip.

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/18 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wildlife at Trailer Village at the Grand Canyon.

[image]

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's the BEST camping experience you ever had?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS