Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Who Else Will Retire To Full-time In 2018?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Who Else Will Retire To Full-time In 2018?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/17 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if this will be a popular thread or a dumb idea, but here goes. I saw a post here recently (maybe two) where members said they plan to retire and begin full-time RV life in 2018. That's my plan, too. What does your plan look like? Here's my plan (and long-term members here can feel free to comment, even with their often snide remarks).

1 - I turn 62 in August, (and my car lease is up then) but I won't take early Social Security
2 - I have savings to buy a nice, maybe even new, travel trailer with cash
3 - I can afford to lease a new tow vehicle with no worries, so I probably will; but I may try to rent a big truck for the first couple of months just to be sure this is where I want to go
4 - I've toyed with the idea of a CD-secured personal loan, but there's not much point (most banks want the CD rate plus 2%)
5 - I can burn my savings at the rate or $2,000 or even $3,000 per month with no problem until I start to draw Social Security
6 - I will probably do South Texas the first winter, but I might consider inland Florida, if I can find it within my budget
7 - I will probably set up near a big city for June-August and work a computer programming contract because 1 - it's easy money and 2 - I don't want to fight the summer crowds in the parks
8 - I'll travel the country in Spring and Fall seeing parks and cities big and small
9 - When I hit about 67-68 I will start Social Security and it will be plenty for me (if the government doesn't break all their promises)
10 - Since I'm in good health I'll probably buy cheap non-ACA health insurance until I qualify for Medicare at 65
11 - If I enjoy the life, I'll just keep repeating every year; if I find a place I like a lot I might set up a winter or summer home in an RV park
12 - If I don't like the life I can sell the RV at a loss and return to regular apartment life, but maybe in a new city that I like better. But I will always be Dallas Steve because that's where I was born.

Finally, I may get a bumper sticker that says "All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV".

* This post was edited 12/21/17 04:05pm by DallasSteve *

Lwiddis

Plaskett Creek USFS - CA Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/17 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I turn 62 in August, (and my car lease is up then) but I won't take early Social Security”

Aren’t SS benefits greatly affected by earnings the last few years before you hit 66 when in theory you earn the most money?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/17 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on your plans, they sound well thought out and flexible.

I'm either an entitled millennial or a jaded gen-x depending on what anthropologist you follow, having recently left my 30s behind.

Either way, retirement isn't an option. My dad was a Boomer and subscribed to the work hard and retire plan, then he passed away a year after doing so.

Self employed, I take month+ long vacations when I can and plan to die at my desk. Not being negative about it just realistic / fatalistic about it.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

AFChief_and_Pilot

Hondo, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/17 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is $2K-$3K all you've got until SS kicks in? If so, it will be tight ... doable for sure, but you will need to be frugal. We full time comfortably on about $4K a month with no debt, and we are on Medicare ... admittedly, we eat out often and stay in nicer RV resorts. YMMV.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/17 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AFChief_and_Pilot wrote:

Is $2K-$3K all you've got until SS kicks in? If so, it will be tight ... doable for sure, but you will need to be frugal. We full time comfortably on about $4K a month with no debt, and we are on Medicare ... admittedly, we eat out often and stay in nicer RV resorts. YMMV.

I am used to being frugal (I'm a former CPA). Maybe Taco Bueno once a month. Chili's once a year. $4K sounds like you're staying on the beach (that is to say in an expensive RV park). Plus, my brother is a few years ahead of me on this road and he's been living cheap, mostly in COE campgrounds. I will probably do some of that. I've got more that I can throw at the budget, if I need it, but I've "crunched the numbers" and I think I can keep my average under $3000 per month with a travel trailer. With a new motorhome, probably not. With a diesel pusher, forget about it. LOL.

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/17 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your boss must have been a veteran. No wonder you only have 2 or 3K to live on after statements like "and veterans can feel free to comment, even with their often snide remarks)". You need to call Walmart and maybe you can get a cart pushers job for lot rent.

Dennis Hoppert

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/17 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis

I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer. I meant the crusty "veteran posters" on RV.net. I was not referring to military veterans and I apologize for the misunderstanding. I've edited my comment to remove the word "veteran". If you've got better terminology I'll edit it again.

Lwiddis

Plaskett Creek USFS - CA Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/17 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Crusty” posters really means those who might or do disagree with you. Why post at all if you don’t want opinions?

mat60

maine

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/17 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ill never be able to retire. Would be great to travel someday. Enjoy.

2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/17 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am going FT this year as well, monthly budget is similar, but I will have an easier time than some because I can use Military Famcamps in some areas for an inexpensive FHU location, and also have health insurance covered as a military retiree. Will be leaving with new truck and likely a new TT.
Just waiting for the house to close.

In my case no resorts, hoping to boondock for a month, use a famcamp or COE park for a couple weeks and then back to nowhere in particular.
Happy motorin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Who Else Will Retire To Full-time In 2018?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS