Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Who Else Will Retire To Full-time In 2018?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Who Else Will Retire To Full-time In 2018?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not near retirement but like to travel between contracts, when I contract. Seems like you know what works for you; I prefer to skip payments of any kind, buy used, then switch it in a few years by assuming the depreciation was my 'enjoyment factor.' This way I have peace of mind knowing what I have in, and not having to budget for one more item every month. Live simply so we can simply live (& travel)!

Da Moose - 2001 Dutchman 31' on E450

GuyN

Vancouver, Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are retiring in Aug 2018, selling house and hitting the road. We are selling our current 5th wheel and will buy one in the 32' range.

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
2012 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE, (sold)
2015 Chevy HD 2500 Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab

carl2591

Garner NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning on going full time in 2.5 yrs so a bit of time to get it right. Will rent out paid for house for a couple years and then come back to sell it within the period to avoid cap gain taxes.

Have a rental property the current tenant has expressed interest in buying the property and i was interested in doing owner financing on property so that will be a nice monthly income for a period of 7-8 yrs.

Will look at SS when I go full time at age of like 64 so might just wait till 65 and get SS and medicare at same time.

have a good one and good luck.

Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 01:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning to FT this March.

Although not retiring (i just turn 40 :-) ). We plan fully nomadic life, or continuation of there of without any permanent residency.

We have our business that is location independent and my better half is finishing her online business setup so we should be financially sufficient and have all the expenses taken care of with budget 5-7k a month. But on the other side our situation is little more complicated. We both are from Czech, i am US resident on L1A (thats top management visa) for a while and hoping to get my GC this May as i have businesses registered in CA and DW, but with her it is little more complicated on ESTA program she can only stay 90 days in the row so we have to plan occasional trips abroad :-). Anyway our plan so far is.

Start in March on east coast and follow it all the way to keys, staying in NP, SP etc. to really see what there is to be seen. Then follow the gulf through to TX then AZ, NM, CO, NV and finally CA. Then we will have decision to make, if we go down south to Mexico (all the way to Yucatan) or up to Canada and AK in next year.

We (read she does :-) ) plan to write a book about the roadtrip with loads of photos. Possibly self publish in Czech and in Europe where there isn't much on this subject, especially from RV + foreigners point of view.

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve, I am about a year behind you on a similar plan. Similar income level, without touching 401K. I will be drawing SS at 62 for two reasons, my breakeven point is in my 80s and I have LTC insurance for later and I also have an income stream that will end at 62, so will replace it with SS.

Would love to PM and talk in even more detail about my plans. I find it hard to find someone who is financially knowledgeable and understands fulltime RVing. My mother so far has been my most supportive sounding board. One friend, who is neither very frugal or adventurous, thinks I am going to be broke.. another friend who is pretty frugal, but knows nothing of RV life is supportive.

2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wannavolunteerFT wrote:

DallasSteve, I am about a year behind you on a similar plan. Similar income level, without touching 401K. I will be drawing SS at 62 for two reasons, my breakeven point is in my 80s and I have LTC insurance for later and I also have an income stream that will end at 62, so will replace it with SS.

Would love to PM and talk in even more detail about my plans. I find it hard to find someone who is financially knowledgeable and understands fulltime RVing. My mother so far has been my most supportive sounding board. One friend, who is neither very frugal or adventurous, thinks I am going to be broke.. another friend who is pretty frugal, but knows nothing of RV life is supportive.

Feel free to PM me if you think it might help. It looks like you have more RV experience than I do. I've never owned one, though I rented one once. You don't mention savings. EDIT: You did mention a 401K. If you're low on savings you may regret taking SS early. You might consider working a few months each year on a real job and defer taking SS for a few more years. That's my plan, plus I can live on my savings from 62 to 70 if I wanted to wait that long.

JAXFL

Jacksonville, Florida, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch your taxes....I just retired in October and with SS and my little pension I am told that if I make $3000 more a year it move into the next higher tax bracket. So if I work at all I get screwed.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAXFL wrote:

Watch your taxes....I just retired in October and with SS and my little pension I am told that if I make $3000 more a year it move into the next higher tax bracket. So if I work at all I get screwed.

Congress is cutting taxes. At least it's not as bad as in the 60s when Great Britain had a top tax bracket of 95%.

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator note....don't let this get political. ........

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Luna18

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/18 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are headed towards a Aug 18 retirement, selling our home in April and living FT in our 5th wheel until we start traveling full time December 2018.

We are headed South from Ohio and will stop several times til we hit our destination in Central Florida. Stops headed South include Kentucky, Stone Mtn in GA and Savannah before heading to Central Florida.

We are very excited and cant wait for this waiting period to pass, so we can begin the next chapter in FULL.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Who Else Will Retire To Full-time In 2018?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS