Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Over cab storage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Over cab storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Davion206

anywhere we desire

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/17 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you are on the road and you do not use the over the cab bunk for sleeping, do you remove the pads and store "stuff"? How do you anchor so it stays put? Thanks.....

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun
2016 Ford Escape
Tow Master dolly
Ed and Joyce and Luci Lou

MobileBasset

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/17 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I removed the mattress parts and place stuff up there based on it’s probability of staying safe. I use sheets of the waffle-like shelf liner (actually it also looks like rug pad) in areas where more friction is needed. I have never had problems. My overhead has a rough finish so that is very helpful also. I am old and not too strong so nothing very heavy goes up there. It is an extremely useful area.
Some things, like my banjo, ride on my bed and then get moved overhead when we arrive.

MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/17 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When on the road I only put soft stuff up their (sleeping bags, blankets, pillow etc). I keep the pads in place.

Kevin

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/17 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we owned our Class C we always used the cab over for storage when travelling. Our daughter used it when camping. We did not remove the mattress before travelling, just put a sheet down that we didn't use for sleeping.

We did the same thing with the top bunk that no one slept on, except we always used it for storage.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/17 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davion206 ~~ When had ClassC always used for some storage. Only had 'overhead' & 'sofa'. Usually X Clothes; blankets/pillows sofa. other 'soft' stuff. Never took out bed/bedding as would have to find a place TO STORE IT!!! JM2¢

Robocop

Baltimore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/17 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No reason to remove the mattress. "Storage" is in the mind of the beholder. Although I rarely have anyone sleeping up there it has become, as others have observed, a place for many soft things, extra bedding and for me a host of things that may be set away in transit and brought back down when set-up. I don't know if I would want to anchor anything up there per se. It is quite utile otherwise. I never wanted an entertainment center in the cab over for that very reason.

Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

Davion206

anywhere we desire

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/17 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our matresses seem damp....yes, we have checked for leaks....two damp rid tubs up there....thus the reason we will remove them and store them when we return home in spring.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/17 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have always used the cab over space for storage. I made a low fence, about 2-3" high and it keeps things from falling off.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

MobileBasset

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/17 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davion206 wrote:

Our matresses seem damp....yes, we have checked for leaks....two damp rid tubs up there....thus the reason we will remove them and store them when we return home in spring.

I removed my mattress parts to keep them clean and nice In case I ever wanted to use them as a bed. Now I don’t have to worry if I put something dirty up there and the space is easy to clean. Also every bit less weight is a good thing. Also I like to use the front of the space as a counter for fruit/produce bowls, catch-all trays, coffee maker etc and the hard surface works much better.

Davion206

anywhere we desire

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/17 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MobileBasset, great idea, thanks. Now, what do you have for a privacy curtain. Ours velcros to part of the matress. When we removed it, I'm trying to figure what to use. We have the exterior windshield cover and for a quick fix, we use reflectix cut to fit on the inside.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Over cab storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS