Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Genset 2003 Jayco escapade
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Genset 2003 Jayco escapade

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
A5sims

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/17 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi!
Just purchased a rv and the generator is not turning over. It may stay on a few seconds after priming but cuts off.

There is a full tank of gas. No power inside the cabin - outlets, appliances etc.

Its been sitting since June, family member was ill and not able to tend to it.

Should I purchase another generator or go thru the process of determining what's going on?

4 days into rv ownership

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/17 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the oil level. There is a low oil cut off switch.

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/17 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not turning over? That could be low battery
Make and model of genset?
Starts but shuts down could be low oil pressure or lack of oil.
You should add coach to your profile.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/17 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the way, "not turning over" means the motor does not crank. If it runs at all, even for a few seconds, it definitely is turning over.

It is worth your time and money to troubleshoot the generator. A replacement Onan will be a four-figure expense unless you get a used one. Besides the oil problems alluded to already, there are a couple other things that will make the controller shut down the generator quickly, such as not seeing proper electrical output.

It may also be that you're just not priming sufficiently. It can take a fair bit if the gas line between the tank and the generator is long, maybe 20 or 30 seconds or so (which feels longer to me when holding a switch down).

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/17 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2003 Escapade 31A. Generator cranks off the "Coach" (aka "House") Battery, left side of the body behind the rear tire. It'll do that whether the Coach Battery Switch (control in the entry step well, actual relay inboard of the Coach Battery) is On or Off.
Our Escapade has an Auto Transfer Switch (ATS) that automatically applies generator power to the coach, after about 30 seconds of generator operation. I don't know if that ATS was standard or a option. Which Escapade Model do you have? Some may have an outlet, powered by the generator, that you must plug your shore tie cable into, to get generator power to the coach. ATS does that automatically.
The 12-Volt-DC lights and appliances, unlike the generator, don't operate unless that Battery Switch is ON.
And, if you have an ONAN 4KY GenSet, there's a breaker on the side of the panel containing the generator-mounted controls (that are under the access panel on the GenSet). It has to have its handle pulled outward to close the circuit.
Let us know which model Escapade and which model ONAN you have. Include the one-letter "Spec." You need a good Coach Battery, fully charged, to start the GenSet.

* This post was edited 12/24/17 09:10pm by j-d *

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/17 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find I have the Owner's Manual, and it states the ATS is standard. The manual is very generic, but might still help you. If you didn't get it with the coach, send me a Private Message with your EMailID and I'll send it to you.

Depending on the Spec Code of you ONAN GenSet, it probably does NOT have an Oil Level Sensor, so that can't cut it off. If it's a MicroQuiet 4KY, it's splash lubricated, so it can't have an Oil Pressure Sensor either. It's you job to be sure the oil stays full and that's it. No Oil Filter either.

It's very likely you'll need a new GenSet carburetor. Keep the discussion going and we'll see if we can help.

A5sims

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/17 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies. I will look over all the paperwork and the genset for the model#'s we were on the road today bringing it back from Ohio.

pconroy328

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A5sims wrote:

Its been sitting since June, family member was ill and not able to tend to it.

Should I purchase another generator or go thru the process of determining what's going on?

4 days into rv ownership

If it runs at all, even for a few seconds, then it may NOT be the carb. But our previous owner let his gen sit, unexercised for some amount of time. A new carb, installed by Cummins, was $700

A5sims

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello!

Its an Onan microquiet 4000
Model # 4KYFA26100K

A5sims

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco escapade 31a 2003

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Genset 2003 Jayco escapade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS