Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: cars to flat tow for class C motor homes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> cars to flat tow for class C motor homes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
bbbrvowner

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/17 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suggestions for cars to flat or dinghy tow behind a class c motor home? Would a small SUV be good? If so, what year and make? Looking for a 4 door. I think jeeps are good, but looking for something less expensive.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/17 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bbbrvowner wrote:

Suggestions for cars to flat or dinghy tow behind a class c motor home? Would a small SUV be good? If so, what year and make? Looking for a 4 door. I think jeeps are good, but looking for something less expensive.

The best way to go about finding a toad for your MH is to look at cars that you like and fit YOUR needs, and are within the weight limits of your RV, and perhaps also dual as a family vehicle so you are not maintaining 2 cars, insurance, registration etc.

THEN look to see if they can be towed four down. That info will be in the owners manual.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Off Pavement

The Silver State - Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/17 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

bbbrvowner wrote:

The best way to go about finding a toad for your MH is to look at cars that you like and fit YOUR needs, and are within the weight limits of your RV, and perhaps also dual as a family vehicle so you are not maintaining 2 cars, insurance, registration etc.

THEN look to see if they can be towed four down. That info will be in the owners manual.

Couldn't agree more! Here is our choice...

[image]

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

ThomBoles

Pinellas Park, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're in a class A but we tow a Mini Cooper Roadster S (6-speed) 4-down. The bonus's to this one is it's fast and fun and comes in a very small and light package. I think it comes in at about 2600 lbs.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we tow a 13 Hyundai Elantra behind our aspect. less than 3000 lbs good wide stance for stability. Mainly you will be looking for a manual transmission vehicle, but make sure it is towable.

I paid around $800 for the baseplate and wiring harness installs. found the baseplate cheaper on line but then you need to factor in shipping and then the install costs which came out as a wash for just getting done by camp world. Install had special prices so it was a no brainer.

We get on average about 37 mpg when it is drive, have seen mid 40's on flat terrain. Makes for a good tow. Rear seat lie down flat for more trunk space but there also is a hatchback style available. Ours has 150 Hp direct injection engine, 6 sp trans so has plenty of power to get around, just took it into mountains for a funeral and it did fine. Just dont see many being towd. BTW KIA is also owned by Hyundai!

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mom towed a Chevy Cobalt (don't remember the year, but I think it was an 08 or 09) because it was so very light. I remember driving their Class C on a trip and wondering why that little car was so close behind me. With the right set up, you could forget it was there. She used blue ox tow bars.

2010 F150 w/5.4
2011 JayFlight 24RKS TT

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/17 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We either tow a VW Beetle Convert on a Demco or a Wrangler via a Roadmaster bar with our Coachmen 28QB.

Gary

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/17 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can tow anything behind a class C that doesn't exceed the various tow ratings of the class C. Consult your weight ratings and a good CAT weight is helpful. There's nothing different or special about it being a class C.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

DouglasC

Grand Haven, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at the Ford hybrids - C-Max, Fusion and Lincoln MKC. Very good fuel economy and they tow very well also - - no fuses to pull or battery cables to disconnect. Just put the transmission in neutral and go.

Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid with Brake Buddy

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 02:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've towed a 2001 Ford Ranger pickup (about 3600 pounds) and a 2012 Honda Fit (2600 pounds). Smaller tows better. Both were manual transmission, an issue for some folks. For "less expensive" consider used vehicles (now called pre-owned). My son-in-law seldom pays more than $5000 for a vehicle, and has had a couple in the $500-1000 range (both would have been towable four-doors), which he considers disposable, drive it until it breaks.

I would not buy any new car as a towed vehicle. I bought the Ranger 6 years old, for about 1/3 of original price. I drove the Fit three years before converting it to a towed vehicle.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> cars to flat tow for class C motor homes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS