cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to have a warmer TC floor... any ideas?

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I am old, my feet get cold... easy.

I’d like to add some “insulation” between the bottom of my TC and the truck bed.

My truck bed has a Linex coating

Would one of those rubber Matt’s work? Would it rust out the bed?

Or should I frame and styrofoam a 1” or 2” sub floor?

Attach to bottom of camper?

All thoughts and ideas appreciated

Sleepy (chet)
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare
63 REPLIES 63

Heated door mat 24x36 just plugs in 180 watts
From a link on the heated floor page.

That's got to keep the tootsies toasty.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I spent three days getting as much done as possible which included installing a new Airfoil, changing loading guides, and remounting the camper on the truck. Got the horse pads fitted too.

I was. Informed that I would be having surgery on Friday January 26th and that I wouldn’t be able to do anything for at least three weeks and very little for a couple of months.

I busted my tail for three long days so that the camper would be ready by the surgery and be ready during the end of my recovery. March is a great time to head south and then move back north following the ideal temperatures. I should be ok if I can get help with the propane bottles.

Today was my first good day and I used it to do my income taxes... going to get some money back this year... all of that tax we paid getting the camper rebuilt changed our federal tax in a very positive way.

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts on my cold floor... it seems that the tub surround is the coldest part. I’ll get it wrapped before next winter... electrically like boatycall call and someone else mentioned has promise.

I have some reading to catch up on.... a day at a time

Thanks

Chet
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Chet, I got it!

I've been keeping up on this as time goes on, and I did see the electric ribbon solution. This is similar.

This is very low cost, and very low-wattage draw, so it can run off inverter and your solar should be able to keep up. They rate it at 12watts draw per SqFt.
Just add a thermostat and you're set.... You wouldn't even have to hardwire it, you could simply add a plug at the end of your wiring and plug it in.

110v heated floor mat

'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Still haven’t decided on the tub wrap mareral.

I put the camper back on the truck to look for pinch points... and determine just how thick that the sheets of Low Density Polyethylene can be.

I installed a new replacement Airfoil today.... ****, it was cold outside. I need to get as much ready as possible before March

We like the spring and fall for moderate weather. I’m getting a butt trim on Friday, that will interfere with my projects for a little while.

BTW... for those of you that haven’t handled a rubber Matt... there is about as much rubber and weight as a very big truck tire.

Thanks for your comments

Chet

Bedlam
I must be stupidly stronger than I thought. I folded the first one in half and carried it in front of me thinking I was wimp when my biceps started to burn half way across the parking lot. Then I did it again with the second one. I don't go to the gym or work out and thought I was just soft and need to carry these mats more often.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I forgot about the weight but then again I had the guys at the feed store load them in the bed and I cut them in the bed. I never actually had to lift the full weight. Plus I think I am a tad younger and bigger than you are Chet. sorry about that
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I finished cutting the Matt’s to fit today... I completely covered the truck bed floor.

I worried about the extremely heavy weight and managed to remove about 10.2 sqft which is about a forth of the rubber mats original weight.

I tried everyone’s way to cut but kept on going back to the circular saw.

I will say again that the mats are extremely heavy...especially for us old guys. None of you mentioned the weight.

I placed the side with the round “ buttons” down againest the truck bed... them and the structural rails pressed into the truckbed should allow that are to drain if ever needed.

Now for the tub surround insulation.

Chet

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
I watched a YouTube on how to cut them. Utility knife soaked in soapy water. Multiply passes with a board screwed as an edge to follow. Works well.

X2
I used a 2x4 shoved under the mat so that the utility knife cut would "spread" and not drag on the knife. Multiple passes work.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I watched a YouTube on how to cut them. Utility knife soaked in soapy water. Multiply passes with a board screwed as an edge to follow. Works well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I used my jig saw to cut them around the wheel wells and the skill saw for long straight cuts
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Bedlam
I used my scroll saw with a medium pitch blade to cut my mats.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Lessons learned today

How to cut the new heavy rubber trucks horse bed pads. I tried knife blades... forget it.
I tried my fancy electric trim saw... the speed was to high, the rubber smoked. I tried a couple of hand saws... it would take forever.

I finally tried my Skill saw with a 7 1/2” open toothed blade... it’s working. I’m about 2/3 of the way.... it got dark and I prefer to make this mess outside.... I’ll finish tomorrow.

I sure hope it works as described. Keep the camper from sliding and add a little space between the bottom of the camper and the trucks bottom.

Does anyone need a bucket full of black rubber sand?

Chet

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know how warm you are trying to make the floor, but what about installing holding tank heaters?

Another thought is to add a different flooring system that has less felt cold such as cork.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Sleepy, not too familiar with your camper but I ran a new 4” flex duct from the furnace into the basement (mainly for winter camping) as the factory 2” duct had too much internal resistance (due to ribbing) to provide any detectable air flow...The improvement was quite remarkable!

3 tons