cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifthwheel supports

la_voy_scott
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best tripod support for a fifthwheel hutch?
16 REPLIES 16

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I ditched mine after installing JT Strongarms. best anti-shake installation i have ever done.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
The cheapest one you can find.

LLeopold
Explorer
Explorer
Bought one when I purchased my FW back in 2001. Used it less than 5 times and threw it as a "sweetener" in when I sold it in 2017.

As was said, the front jacks and rear stabilizing jacks extended just enough to take the weight off the tires (do not raise the tires off the ground entirely) and using wheel chocks was enough to make my FW rock-solid.
Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
I have one, and I like it. Don't usually use it for one or two night stays, but really makes a difference when staying at one site for weeks at a time.
Wouldn't leave home without it.

photo from etrailer.com

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
We got a sorta-cheap aluminum one when we newbies got our 5er several years ago...one of several things the dealer sold us because we "HAD to have it if we had an RV". Another couple years and maybe I can start laughing about those foolish expenditures. Long story short it got damaged, never to be replaced, now we use the cap for a king pin lock.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
la voy scott wrote:
What is the best tripod support for a fifthwheel hutch?

All mine is now is extra weight in the tool box!!
I installed JTโ€™s and we are very happy!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
For those that say don't bother with them, they have never had a landing leg collapse.

UGH, nice going Ernie - now I will be worried about a leg collapsing on me

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Ernie_Fergler
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the cheapest one. They all do the same thing. For those that say don't bother with them, they have never had a landing leg collapse. I still use mine even though I have JT Strongarms.
2016 Ram 3500 dually, Aisen, 4.10 gear, 4x4, 8 ft bed
2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2013 arctic fox 990>"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the weight of a trailer rests on the wheels - I.e. the flexible suspension of the axle. It is designed to allow movement while towing, and of course that allows movement when parked.

The only way to stop movement is to get weight off the wheels and transfer that weight to something that does not move. However, that only stops movement primarily of an up/ down axis.

There is also front/back movement and side to side movements which impact stability.

Tripods provide some lessening of front to back pivoting over the axles. For a tripod to add stability significant weight has to be on the tripod, and a similar weight must also be carried on some supports at or near the back of the trailer/ 5er.

Between the wheel chocks, supports under the steps, cross brace systems like JT all help.

It is a balance that each person has to achieve for their own personal taste/ comfort. How much time and money do you want to spend to achieve your personal level of comfort.

Even rigs with automatic leveling systems usually have between the wheel chocks, under the stairs support and some JT type cross bracing on the landing gear.

I see less than 1/4 of 5ers with tripods, so it appears to me that most people donโ€™t bother with them.

Donโ€™t spend any money on a tripod until you have camped without one. Talk to other 5er owners with and without them. Ask folks withtripods if you and walk into their rig and check the stability.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Try this for info on stabilizing:
http://learntorv.com/shake-shake-shake-rv-stabilization/

Most people start with triangulation stabilizers (my preference is SteadyFast over the JT StrongArms) and between the wheel chocks. For extra stablization, they'll add support under the steps (or opt for a better stairs- the Glowstep Revolution which have positive contacts to the ground). And finally will add extra stabilizers near the axles.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

The best tri pod . .. . Is your neighbors ..

Had one, gave it away the following year... Get yourself a set of JTโ€™s or similar..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a tripod but after a couple years I stopped using it. We use cross bars and wheel chocks now.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reviews on them are mixed over on the Grand Design forum, too. Those that have had better success with them have put more weight on the tripod by lowering the front landing gear to load the tripod. I'm not willing to do that after I have the trailer level, though.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Some like them. Many sell or give them away. I used one for a year. It made some minor difference. But I did not find it worth the effort. Installed stabilizing struts on the front jacks and rear stabilizers for a much better result.