Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Fifthwheel supports
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Fifthwheel supports

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
la voy scott

ashford washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the best tripod support for a fifthwheel hutch?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most people do not suggest or use tripods. Besides cost, weight they really do not help as much as they cost. Especially if you have an air pin box.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will get a lot of opinions on this. When we had our Sunnybrook fiver we used the tripod. It did make a difference as well as the wheel locks did. I tried it with and without and you could tell the difference with your eyes closed. The little bit of extra weight does not make a difference and storing it was not bad as well.

Camping Hoss
2007 Monaco Cayman/Cummins
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar
Jeep Wrangler/2016 Fiesta
Blue Ox Baseplate
Lucky & Lucie

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some like them. Many sell or give them away. I used one for a year. It made some minor difference. But I did not find it worth the effort. Installed stabilizing struts on the front jacks and rear stabilizers for a much better result.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reviews on them are mixed over on the Grand Design forum, too. Those that have had better success with them have put more weight on the tripod by lowering the front landing gear to load the tripod. I'm not willing to do that after I have the trailer level, though.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Wherever we are for however long we stay...

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a tripod but after a couple years I stopped using it. We use cross bars and wheel chocks now.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 480 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/17 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best tri pod . .. . Is your neighbors ..

Had one, gave it away the following year... Get yourself a set of JT’s or similar..

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2016 Redwood 38RL Black~Silver

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/17 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this for info on stabilizing:
http://learntorv.com/shake-shake-shake-rv-stabilization/

Most people start with triangulation stabilizers (my preference is SteadyFast over the JT StrongArms) and between the wheel chocks. For extra stablization, they'll add support under the steps (or opt for a better stairs- the Glowstep Revolution which have positive contacts to the ground). And finally will add extra stabilizers near the axles.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the weight of a trailer rests on the wheels - I.e. the flexible suspension of the axle. It is designed to allow movement while towing, and of course that allows movement when parked.

The only way to stop movement is to get weight off the wheels and transfer that weight to something that does not move. However, that only stops movement primarily of an up/ down axis.

There is also front/back movement and side to side movements which impact stability.

Tripods provide some lessening of front to back pivoting over the axles. For a tripod to add stability significant weight has to be on the tripod, and a similar weight must also be carried on some supports at or near the back of the trailer/ 5er.

Between the wheel chocks, supports under the steps, cross brace systems like JT all help.

It is a balance that each person has to achieve for their own personal taste/ comfort. How much time and money do you want to spend to achieve your personal level of comfort.

Even rigs with automatic leveling systems usually have between the wheel chocks, under the stairs support and some JT type cross bracing on the landing gear.

I see less than 1/4 of 5ers with tripods, so it appears to me that most people don’t bother with them.

Don’t spend any money on a tripod until you have camped without one. Talk to other 5er owners with and without them. Ask folks withtripods if you and walk into their rig and check the stability.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Ernie Fergler

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy the cheapest one. They all do the same thing. For those that say don't bother with them, they have never had a landing leg collapse. I still use mine even though I have JT Strongarms.

2004 Ram 3500 DRW 2 WD
2012 Sabre 31 ckts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Fifthwheel supports
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS