Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: HITCH WON'T RELEASE...UPDATE UPDATE..........
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> HITCH WON'T RELEASE...UPDATE UPDATE..........

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK got back from a short trip and went to unhook the trailer and I cannot get the hitch to release from the ball. I have had problems with another trailer but after bouncing and kicking it it would eventually release. This time I greased the ball and under the hitch before hooking up, drove home and would not release for nothing. just had to pull the pin and drive the truck away to disconnect, but as u can see the hitch ball still will not come out.
The hitch is a EQUILIZER SWAY CONTROL BRAND, IF THAT HELPS. PICTURE IS A LITTLE DISTORTED, WILL TRY TO REPOST IF IT WOULD HELP FIND A SOLUTION.

WHATS MY PROBLEM if anyone knows??????
thanks

[image]

? Did you read the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

* This post was last edited 12/29/17 04:23pm by joelyn *   View edit history

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The hitch is binding. Drive forward and backward a half inch and you should feel it release. Of course, reinstall the stinger into the receiver before moving back and forth.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer tires chocked good? Truck in neutral (make sure not on a Hill)? And use the jack to lift it off. If it doesn’t come off then you probably have a problem with the hitch.

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look @ hitch release lever, after it is flipped up it then needs to drop down. If it has dropped down then the wedge it pulls up on the back side of the ball is bound up. Sometime it is adjusted too tight. Back off the nut from underneath and it should come down but be careful as the hitch will drop and mash anything under it. JMHO

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

cyntdon2010

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jump up and down on the bumper. its NOt ROCKET SCIENCE. gEEZ

IT'LL POP LOOSE

2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

jim1521

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at his pic. The hitch is disconnected from the truck, so rocking the truck back and forth won't do squat. Do what Itchey Feet is suggesting. Disconnect/loosen anything attached to it. WATCH YOUR FINGERS AND TOES. A rubber mallet might also be your friend.

Can you move the shank at all, or is it totally frozen?

joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cyntdon2010 wrote:

Jump up and down on the bumper. its NOt ROCKET SCIENCE. gEEZ

IT'LL POP LOOSE

jumped up and down on it kicked it, jumped some more, shook left to right and jumped some more up and down for almost a hour. and this is what I what I was left with... so I don't think thats the answer

joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jim1521 wrote:

Look at his pic. The hitch is disconnected from the truck, so rocking the truck back and forth won't do squat. Do what Itchey Feet is suggesting. Disconnect/loosen anything attached to it. WATCH YOUR FINGERS AND TOES. A rubber mallet might also be your friend.

Can you move the shank at all, or is it totally frozen?

yes I can rotate the hitch left to right with no problem it just will not release the ball

nineoaks2004

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine does that once in a while, I found that if I chock the wheels in the rear then back up a hair it will force the hitch lock back and will then release from the truck. Drove me crazy the first time until I calmed down and thought the situation over and then did as I just said. Good luck and Happy Camping

By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's hard to see what type of coupler you have but the 'wedge'/'latch'/'under jaw on underside is still tight against ball.

That wedge/latch/under jaw has to release (down or back) in order for ball to come out of coupler

[image]

[image]

[image]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> HITCH WON'T RELEASE...UPDATE UPDATE..........
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS