Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: First time... full time.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First time... full time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
JandVcruise2018

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone. Its my first time on this site. I'll get right to it. My wife and I moved to Northern California about 7 months ago. We love it and want to spend some time there but we are going to have to either rent a place soon, buy something or buy an RV and live in it full time. We are both in our 30's. We dont want to buy because A) we get board with places easy and want to see a lot more of the country before we get planted. B) Small condos are selling for 300k+ (and still have HOA's). We can rent but a decent 1 bedroom is $2000+ a month plus utilities. Also, even though the camper (and truck to tow it) will deperacate we rather put at least part our money towards something we will own. We are looking at getting a Keystone Montana and an F-350 diesel. Any advise or suggestions?

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't speak to full-timing directly, but your post does make me wonder how much experience you have with RV'ing in general. The RV life comes with a lot of blessings and some real challenges, and from everything I've read, full-timing is not nearly as cost efficient as it appears on the surface. Some background info on how much experience you have would probably be helpful to those who could give more direct input.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look into how you can accrue value. Apartment rent? money gone. at least with an rv you have a chance, depreciation wont take it all. Mobility is the best idea. you are not a slave to the job, because of mobility, you can move easily to a better job

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/17 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been full-timing for 11 years.
You may call me and we can discuss in greater detail.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
[email protected]
602-321-8141
K7OU
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

JandVcruise2018

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

I can't speak to full-timing directly, but your post does make me wonder how much experience you have with RV'ing in general. The RV life comes with a lot of blessings and some real challenges, and from everything I've read, full-timing is not nearly as cost efficient as it appears on the surface. Some background info on how much experience you have would probably be helpful to those who could give more direct input.

None, 0, zero, ziltch, zip...

JandVcruise2018

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mandalay Parr wrote:

I've been full-timing for 11 years.
You may call me and we can discuss in greater detail.

You rock. Thank you! My wife and I are not afraid to take risks and try something some people think is crazy. I have lived in a few different states and she is from Costa Rica. We dont like the current market for buying (inflated house prices, raising intrest rates, etc) and we are not ready to settle anywhere. Even if we get into a lease we are stuck for a year and it can make it hard to save. I will probably take you up on your offer once we are back in the states. We are in Costa Rica right now.

JandVcruise2018

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Look into how you can accrue value. Apartment rent? money gone. at least with an rv you have a chance, depreciation wont take it all. Mobility is the best idea. you are not a slave to the job, because of mobility, you can move easily to a better job

Exactly!!! Besides, we may be full time online with our jobs/ business soon anyways. With satilite internet anything is possible.

NCWriter

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/17 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Points to consider and research:

New versus used RV costs. If you have cash, great. But if you take a 15 year loan to buy a depreciating asset, besides a big monthly payment, you’ll still be liable to pay off a big chunk of the loan after you get bored with it and sell for whatever you can get for it.

Income stream - similar to the $2000/mo. apartment example you gave, you’ll need enough to cover your RV “rent.” Costs of insurance, maintenance, fuel, propane, expensive repairs, etc.

Then there is weekly, monthly or nightly RV campsite rental. Utilities may be extra in long term rentals. Everybody has fantasies of pulling off the road to camp free in the woods, but it’s not quite that simple.

2013 Itasca Navion IQ 24G

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/17 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not full-timing it, but it seems to me yours is the sort of situation where it could be advantageous to do so. Best of luck, whichever way you go.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/17 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go with the F350, you'll never have problems towing (pretty much anything). So you have LOTS of options on trailer (TT or 5er, Toy Hauler or conventional trailer). Considering you are the type of people that just don't like to settle down (or be tied down) with a specific location or real property, this life style is a good fit for you.

The only REAL problem with full timing, is the initial decision to downsize your possessions so everything fits into your new living domicile. I think that is probably the hardest decisions that has to be made. If you are already living a minimalist lifestyle, than you'll have no problems adapting to the space of an RV (of any kind).

Good luck! Your plan is entirely feasible in my opinion.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First time... full time.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS