Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: First time... full time.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First time... full time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
JandVcruise2018

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/17 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we have some cash saved up. We will have to buy a truck and the camper. I can trade in my current 17 Tacoma and pretty much break even because they hold their value so well. I am aware of most of the costs and I think the biggest is going to be price and availability of the site in our very expensive area. It doesn't help that we live in the same area of the massive wild fire that destroyed 9000 homes and businesses a few months back. This has a tied up all of the "less expensive" places to live including camp sites. However, my job is unique in that there is always jobs that pay well all over the country. The company I work for pays very well so I will stay as long as possible.

* This post was edited 12/29/17 03:30pm by JandVcruise2018 *

JandVcruise2018

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/17 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

If you go with the F350, you'll never have problems towing (pretty much anything). So you have LOTS of options on trailer (TT or 5er, Toy Hauler or conventional trailer). Considering you are the type of people that just don't like to settle down (or be tied down) with a specific location or real property, this life style is a good fit for you.

The only REAL problem with full timing, is the initial decision to downsize your possessions so everything fits into your new living domicile. I think that is probably the hardest decisions that has to be made. If you are already living a minimalist lifestyle, than you'll have no problems adapting to the space of an RV (of any kind).

Good luck! Your plan is entirely feasible in my opinion.

We already downsized to almost nothing to move to California from Florida! We moved with what we could fit in the bed of a Tacoma with a cap!

* This post was edited 12/29/17 03:33pm by JandVcruise2018 *

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/17 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest thing if you're working + fulltiming is to make sure you go in with a plan for income. The RVing side of things is the easier side to figure out. I have quite a few friends who went into fulltiming as families with no RVing experience.

When shopping for rigs- try to make a friend or take someone who knows about RVs and trucks. I'd hate to see you get into a lemon of a unit.

Rig size- for just 2 people, you can be as short as 20' and as long as 40'. The longer you go, the less places you'll fit into. Depending on the type of camping you like, that could be a problem. (Or not- we're in a 42' fifth wheel and have been happy with where we can get in. Though, there have been some places we would have liked to stay.)

For costs... they vary greatly. If you boondock a lot, you'll save on nightly fees but you'll have a sizable investment in battery + solar power + backup generator. If you stay in RV parks, you'll have the nightly cost. The longer you stay, the less expensive it is (nightly is the most expensive, then a little cheaper for weekly, and then a lot cheaper for monthly- though then you get into paying separately for electric).

Depending on where you are, Thousand Trails can be a way of saving money. But they come with use restrictions.

What we found, I budget $50/night for RV parks. In the last couple of years, that has ran the gamut from $32/night in 2015, $45/night in 2016 and again in 2017. My goal for 2018 is to be at or below $30/night with a focus on camping club membership use (Thousand Trails, Passport America, and Harvest Hosts) and boondocking. Right now through mid-March, I'm at $18/night in Florida. We'll see how it goes.

But while our housing expenses have gone down (truck, camper, lot rent + utilities), a few other expenses have sky rocketed. I work online and REQUIRE internet service daily from 9-5. Between my cell phones and cellular internet, my bill runs $350/month or so. As well, our fuel costs have jumped significantly because we drive a big truck every where we go. (Not to mention traveling from location to location with our house in tow.)

The other big cost is our exploring/edutainment costs for us and the kids. We eat out regularly because we're constantly in new places and want to try the local fare or we spend money on attractions and touristy things. We offset that some with museum memberships that have reciprocal entry to other places, but it still gets expensive. For instance, Meteor Crater was a roadside stop as we drove from one location to another but we dropped $50 for just a couple of hours of exploring (totally worth it for us, though!).

Lastly, you mentioned satellite internet - it's slow and expensive. It's good for a backup to cellular internet, but I wouldn't rely on it for day to day use. For internet options, THE place to go is:
http://rvmobileinternet.com/

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/17 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you plan on long term parking I have a few suggestions. If you're not moving regulary I would say go with a single rear wheel gasser one ton much easier as a daily driver, cost of diesel upgrade buys a lot of gas, and a 5th wheel trailer that is compatable weight wise. Take a look at true 4 season trailers since you may take a lucrative job in a true four season location. Also look for 2-4 year old models and save a bunch.
We traveled 7 1/2 years in a used 5er before our present rig which at our age will be our last and as they say you can't take it with you so enjoy it while you can.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/17 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to this site to get an idea of floorplans, ages/prices:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

You can full-time for as cheaply or expensively as you want. $30-$50/night is high. You can do much better, especially on monthly rates and not at fancy 'resorts'. Some can full-time on $20,000 - $25,000/year. I'd say the average do so on $30,000 - $40,000/year.

If you install solar panels you can do it for less because you don't need RV parks with electric hookups. You can do free camping at BLM and national forest dispersed sites. Or you can stay in campgrounds that don't offer electric such as national forest campgrounds.

If you're working and need internet you'll need a very good data plan and Verizon is the best carrier for the western states.

If you have no experience with RVs you might try renting one for a week and see how you like it.

Another thing... at your young age you'll need to think carefully at medical insurance. It's not easy to do economically nowadays. You also need to pick your state for domicile and medical insurance varies with each state if you're going to be traveling and need to use it.

Also, check out the full-timing section of this forum for more information. Good luck!!

On Edit: I just remembered this casual survey of full-timers and what their budge is:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/120595-ho........ur-fulltime-budget/?page=4&_fromLogout=1

* This post was edited 12/29/17 02:13pm by 2gypsies *

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/17 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Advice or suggestions?
A Montana and a F 350 sound like a good combo. Living where cost of living is super high if you don't have to and don't have a lot of money sounds counterproductive.
Presuming you want to enjoy the outdoors? Live somewhere just as awesome, but cheaper since you don't appear to have any ties to where you're at now.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

JandVcruise2018

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Advice or suggestions?
A Montana and a F 350 sound like a good combo. Living where cost of living is super high if you don't have to and don't have a lot of money sounds counterproductive.
Presuming you want to enjoy the outdoors? Live somewhere just as awesome, but cheaper since you don't appear to have any ties to where you're at now.

Cost of living is high but so is the pay. The access to many national parks is amazing. The trick is high pay and keep the overhead low. They way I see it is we can pay the same or less as we would for a very small rental and still pay off something we can keep for years while socking away some money for future investments that will hopfully increase in value.
That being said, do you have any suggestions on areas we may want to check out in the future?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JandVcruise2018 wrote:

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Look into how you can accrue value. Apartment rent? money gone. at least with an rv you have a chance, depreciation wont take it all. Mobility is the best idea. you are not a slave to the job, because of mobility, you can move easily to a better job

Exactly!!! Besides, we may be full time online with our jobs/ business soon anyways. With satilite internet anything is possible.

^ This lead me to believe you were going mobile, not having to stay near your job.
I don't have specific area suggestions for NorCal. Was going to suggest getting out in the sticks or into Oregon.

Thinking bout using the 5ver for camping or only as a home base?
Pain to drag the 5ver all over the place on weekends, but bigger better for full timeing of course.

* This post was edited 01/03/18 10:34am by Grit dog *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another suggestion for costs, is BUY USED. RV depreciation is bad. Whatever you pay for a new 5ver, you could likely get a very well cared for not too old, same type, for half the cost.
Up in the wet northwest, it's common for folks to have covered storage their RVs year round, only pulling them out for summer camping trips. Net result is a rig that's not been out in the weather very much, which is the main concern with RVs,in my opinion.
Trucks are tough to get a deal on newer used as the resale is so high, slightly used are almost the cost of new and older trucks still hold alot of value.

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked into the cost of parking the rig in your area per mo. Or where your going to park it if you get one.

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 129,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First time... full time.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS