cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Christmas present from USDA

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
USDA sent us a Christmas present this year; 2017 Census of Agriculture. It is mandatory by law for any farm that grosses >$1000. The survey collects info collected in the normal censuses (demographics) plus info on IRS tax returns (salary, farm income, expenses) plus detailed info on farming practices (who makes day to day decisions, fertilizer used and amounts, pesticides, equipment owned including trucks, etc). We are even required to tell them the value of equipment our neighbor stores on our farm.

What a PIA
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
15 REPLIES 15

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Mn Redneck wrote:
It says required by law!! DO you think they will put me in jail or will they just get willow switch and beat the h--- out of me???

Depends on where they place you. Some of the minimum security ones have AC, cots,cable TV and 3 squares a day. Former Louisiana governor Edwin Edwards said his was quite nice. If you are as lucky as he you could have conjugal visits.:E
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Mn_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
It says required by law!! DO you think they will put me in jail or will they just get willow switch and beat the h--- out of me???
TH & Company:
Just Passin Thru

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting even for a city boy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
For those interested in the info gathered you can review the 24 page survey here:
https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Help/Report_Form_and_Instructions/2017_Report_Form/17a100_121316_general_final.pdf
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

dturm
We need to avoid political comments here.

That being said, there are good reasons for some regulations, others seem to generate more and more regulations and reporting. The reporting is often a PITA. It kind of sounds like they are trying to get you to be the investigative and enforcement arms of the EPA and IRS.

I found the OSHA reports of workplace injury/incidents for a business with 13 employees was a little excessive considering the type of business I ran, I guess understandable but documentation was pretty time consuming.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I filled one of those out every year for 25 years before selling the farm. It's pretty routine, especially when wrapping up the year end bookwork anyway.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
I wonder why they need that info and what they do with it? When I was in business we had enormous overhead just to fill out govt paperwork, had large tax dept, environmental engineers, attorneys and host of other expensive people who did nothing but deal with govt rules.

So they can hire an additional 1000 employees to shuffle those forms around. The more employees the bigger the budget and justification for being.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder why they need that info and what they do with it? When I was in business we had enormous overhead just to fill out govt paperwork, had large tax dept, environmental engineers, attorneys and host of other expensive people who did nothing but deal with govt rules.
Kevin

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
BCSnob wrote:
Except when estimating the value of equipment that is not yours (4 tractors, haybine, rake, and roughcut mower).

Inform owner/neighbor that THEY need to provide a 'value' OR you will have to put down what you think it is worth.
Your estimate might be way HIGH
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Except when estimating the value of equipment that is not yours (4 tractors, haybine, rake, and roughcut mower).
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Been filing that form for 25 years now. No biggie. Least they provide a paid return packet.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Depends upon if the USDA is aware of your family farm. The usda knows about us because we are required by law to submit money to the us lamb board (think the sheep version of the us dairy board, aka โ€œgot milkโ€) after the direct sale of any sheep.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck. Hope it goes quickly. Won't tell you what my brother says 'USDA' stands for because the mods might delete it.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
BC Snob, does this include all farms. Just wondering if my mom should be getting a survey. Ours is small family owned and timber is only source of income (and hasn't been cut in enough years that it will likely need cutting in the next couple years)
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS