Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Badly grounded power pedestals
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Badly grounded power pedestals

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
daveB110

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got a free night in a park in Rincon de Guayabitos for shocking our rig. The problem was later discovered and reported to be the aftermaket electrode placed into our neighbour's hot water tank. I have no idea how that would work to create shocking.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/18 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why no polarity check? I would far prefer to do a hot swap vs pound a ground rod everywhere I go.

+1 to just plug in an independent battery charger if the situation cannot be corrected. Get a charger that accepts 90 to 250 volts 50/60 Hz 10 amps minimum.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recall the old-style house type outlets in the U.S. Just two vertical prongs, no ground. That is what most of the older outlets in Mexico are wired with.

So, reverse polarity is really easy to get.

When we travel in Mexico, I have a 15 amp male to 30 amp female adapter with a cut off ground prong that I can turn over to get correct polarity. And, a 6' ground wire carefully wired to the ground lug of the adapter with last 9" bare copper. Wrap it around a metal pipe or attach to rod driven into ground.

Never a problem in 50,000 plus miles south of the border. Ya, still have to monitor voltage. Have seen both too high and too low-- sometimes in the same CG at different parts of the day.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

reed cundiff

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moisheh - we burned out a microwave in Baja and another in Yucatan due to crappy power. The voltage was going from 60 to 150 V. Son Cary and family were coming down (six years ago)and he brought battery chargers. He is a licensed master electrician and has been a licensed alternative energy contractor since 1991. We have only plugged in via battery chargers since then . The usable voltages are as discussed in one of the postings. Good chargers are expensive but well worth the
Expense.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A foot deep into the ground is hardly pounding. Aint the depth it´s the conductivity.

Pour water all around the stake.

I proved a point to some friends last year.

You know those receptacle adapters...that allow a three prong plug appliance to plug into a 2 prong outlet.

I alligator clipped a 12 gauge wire to the little metal tab on the adapter.

The opposite end had an alligator clip too

Which I clamped a 5 peso coin to

Dangled it onto a TILE floor

Covered by a sopping wet wash cloth.

Then SHORTED line to ground

DIRECT

Nyaaat ZOOT

It tripped a 30 amp breaker again and again.

Yes this harebrained ground needs maintenance. Wetting the washcloth.

Infinitely preferable to stress testing my pacemaker.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to reiterate, it is not the power grid, it is the rv park being cheap with wiring and transformers. Fact.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those jolts are as good as getting a cardio work out being zapped with a taser gun.

No need to go to the gim, hook the RV to the pedestal and get a good jolt, check before you plug!

navegator

Talleyho69

Silver Strand Beach

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No doubt, it's the RV park and it's wiring.

We have worked with several, and seen as many of you have, a person barehanded pulling out a wire wrapped fuse, shaking their hand and head, and putting in another.

In the same respect, some are wired correctly.

Most? It's a **** shoot.

However, we have had very bad wiring and service in the US also.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 03:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When Comision Federal de Electricidad applies themselves their work is on a level to match a typical US grid. The main problem down here is those centralized transformers feeding entire neighborhoods. That's why when looking at the powerlines in a city you see 4 wires stacked vertically. 254 volts phase to phase and 127 volts phase to neutral. A bunch of air conditioners (home or RV) starting and stopping affects the entire neighborhood's quality of power. North of the border, each service drop has it's own exclusive transformer. And it acts like a giant filter in reverse as well as forward.

USA parks on a single transformer face the same thing when heavily occupied and everyone's running A/C. Phase balancing is an art form with transient load duty and in Mexico I have seen some sections of some parks with high voltage while the more popular areas are having low voltage.

Years ago I remember the facility next to the gasolinera north of Zacatecas. It was a cold winter night. The only space available was cramped at the end of a service hookup island. I plugged in a 15 amp plug. It fell out. So I went inside and grabbed one of those 3 wire to 2 wire plastic block adapters.

The tangs had been pre-spread out. It slipped tightly into the receptacle. I started the catalytic heater and two small circulation fans and an electric blanket. Water was freezing up outside. Voltage was slightly under 100 even with my almost non existent load.

The next morning I couldn't help but overhear crabby comments by neighbors as they were winding up shore power cords. "Dammned heater quit in the middle of the night! Cold! Let's get moving!" I wasn't the only one with receptacle and low voltage problems.

reed cundiff

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexicowanderer - we are on beach at Xpu Ha Near Tulum. You hit limestone two feet down. It is a short walk to seashore to fill a bucket with seawater and the pour around stake.

No other US travelers at Xpu Ha. Currently Swiss (drove across Russia in 13 Days), Germans on way from Brazil, two couples from Quebec, one from BC, two Mexican RVers, two permanent Germans, in three weeks there have been: two French couples headed to SA, and a few more Canadians in Mexico for winter. We have seen no other Gringos since San Miguel Del allende

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Badly grounded power pedestals
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS